Hurley Appreciation Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I loved a moment in the BET PC game just at the early part of the PC run in the 2nd half when during a timeout Hurley told the team to keep doing what they were doing and not to freak out over the bad officiating and finished by saying something like look at me do I look like I am freaking out? He put of his hands with a smirk on his face. I thought that was awesome until the lead was cut to just 6 and it looked like his eyeballs were about to pop out. He is almost as entertaining as the game itself.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As someone who criticizes Hurley regularly, I will agree he’s maturing and so is the team. We were what 8-2 to finish up. And some of the things I criticized him for mid-season like not using subs effecitively, he made adjustments and now Diarra, Joey C and others making more of an impact on game. And we NEED to have them impact games in the tourney.

Dan has calmed down just a bit on the slideline and seems to be making some good in game adjustments.

Achille’s heel are close games.

Dan must cross this last bridge and chalk up at least 2 wins in the this tourney to say the ship has been properly righted in my book. We lose in 1st round and it’s not BE reg season title (4th) , no BE championship, no tourney wins.

So alot riding on this tourney for Dan but that’s why he make upwards of 2 million - comes with territory after almost years as coach.
There's a lot in this post to consider.

Here's an oddball notion not directed particularly toward you, but to all any faith or even no particular faith at all.

I'll bet that a sizeable percentage of fans (especially in the SEC and other schools in their region) who regularly use some simple language (voiced aloud or publicly or not) that a lot of folks in the Northeast might be too uncomfortable, skeptical, unbelieving, unpracticed, on guard, shy, or fearful to say:

Let us pray for Danny to grow in wisdom and confidence toward maximizing his gifts and sharing what such growth would bring to him.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I loved a moment in the BET PC game just at the early part of the PC run in the 2nd half when during a timeout Hurley told the team to keep doing what they were doing and not to freak out over the bad officiating and finished by saying something like look at me do I look like I am freaking out? He put of his hands with a smirk on his face. I thought that was awesome until the lead was cut to just 6 and it looked like his eyeballs were about to pop out. He is almost as entertaining as the game itself.
It's a journey not a destination. We're all just walking each other home.

Reaction Score
Listen, outside of the championship season in 2014, our time in the AAC was a low point in my fandom.

While the wins weren't there right away, I saw the Hurley difference: attacking the offensive boards, elite perimeter D, tenacity across the board, the way kids would run through a brick wall for him (and he'd do the same).

We need to get out of this one-and-done funk, but we've objectively been better in each of his five seasons, so right now, in this moment, I am thankful for what he has done for the program and I believe in him and his staff and most importantly, the players he has recruited.
We also won the AAC tournament in 2016 had 25-26 wins
If you remember we also won an NCAA tournament game .
losing only to the overall number 1 seed as a 9 .
Talk about getting screwed in seeding. That was our worst draw by far. Even if we upset Kansas , The eventual NC Villanova was the next up.
A decent draw and that team ,which was just coming together , could have gone deeper , with a good shot at the sweet 16 or even possibly the elite 8 .

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
His seat is going to be piping hot going into next year if we lose Friday. 0 tournament wins in five years with three first round exits does not inspire confidence. We need to get to the Sweet 16 minimum. No more excuses.

The last time I'm reading or responding to Fizzle da Drizzle. Not a fan, redicolous takes. A hater through and through

Dude lowers your IQ

Reaction Score
We also won the AAC tournament in 2016 had 25-26 wins
If you remember we also won an NCAA tournament game .
losing only to the overall number 1 seed as a 9 .
Talk about getting screwed in seeding. That was our worst draw by far. Even if we upset Kansas , The eventual NC Villanova was the next up.
A decent draw and that team ,which was just coming together , could have gone deeper , with a good shot at the sweet 16 or even possibly the elite 8 .
Good point. But I had no faith in that '16 team after the first round. They looked so inferior to that Kansas team. The '14 and this team are the only 2 in past 10 years I'd put up against top 5 teams

Reaction Score
His seat is going to be piping hot going into next year if we lose Friday. 0 tournament wins in five years with three first round exits does not inspire confidence. We need to get to the Sweet 16 minimum. No more excuses.

Look, we really need to win this year, but enough of this “in 5 years” narrative that you and your ilk keep peddling for drama’s sake.

Year #1 there was absolutely no expectations to make the NCAAs with the rebuild approach that he took (not doing a complete roster reboot). The place was an absolute dumpster fire.

Year #2 postseason got cancelled due to COVID. Was that Hurley’s fault?

Years #3 & #4…sure we can discuss.

Year #5 - TBD.

Enough of this “5 years” nonsense

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this over the weekend. When factoring in recruiting, culture, personality/tenacity, age, and everything else, I honestly can’t think of another coach I would trade him for. There are maybe two or three I’d consider - but it’s a very short list. And I’ll probably still say that even if we lose on Friday.
One of them we spanked in PK

Reaction Score

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I want to win a national championship but he chokes in March. When you don't trust and have faith in the leader in key moments, the kingdom falls.
You speak only of an outcome you can guarantee by your hard core belief in failure, and efforts to recruit others to your dark vision. You affirm your strength by promoting a doctrine of weakness. It's pure cowardice and sells you, me, and everybody else short.

If Tug Mcgraw hadn't said, "You gotta believe," the Mets wouldn't have won and he wouldn't have also been known for saying...
Screenshot_20230313-224512.png

Reaction Score
Just wanted to bring this thread back to life since it has now been validated after the weekend. Hurly killed it this weekend!!! Great substitution patterns, has done a great job motivating and calming his teams after both 1st halves and has really kept everything business like during the tournament instead of allowing the pressure to make him desperate. He's not a perfect coach and will have his moments from time to time but to see the progression this team has made and the program in general, I am so glad that Hurley is our guy. If he continues to progress and recruit the same type of players in the next couple of years he's going to win a national championship. If not this year. Again thank you coach for putting up with all the haters and for seeing the potential of a passionate, all be it fickle at times, fan base. You have my support going forward and gratitude. Remember that haters are going to hate but the true fans recognize a job well done.

Reaction Score
Next big step for him will be hiring another home run assistant coach. Kenya, Kimani, Tom and Luke have all been great. We need another young potential head coach.

Really love that we have Tom on the roster. Local, history with the program, and provides us some consistency while we're moving through high-potential assistant coaches.

Reaction Score
I'm sure as our Program evolves and succeeds.. And once opportunities present themselves in the future to our assistants.. Maybe even their "dream jobs".. Dan will have both the reputation as a great mentor/teacher and plenty of resumes showing up on his doorstep.. Its obvious these guys are really enjoying themselves and the culture they've built.

Seems to me that Tom is a steadying force and is looking to ride this wave to the beach.. He's a happy dude as a wing man.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Literally everything he laid out when he took the job has come to fruition. We’ve taken a significant step forward every season.

Additionally, you can see him improving as a coach every season too. I don’t know if he would’ve been able to perform like he has the last two games two or three years ago.

Reaction Score
One thing we know is that Hurley and staff will prepare the team and get them ready. Whether we win or lose he will have done his job. We also know that no one will care more or be more invested in getting that win than Dan. It’s all we can ask for.

Reaction Score
Literally everything he laid out when he took the job has come to fruition. We’ve taken a significant step forward every season.

Additionally, you can see him improving as a coach every season too. I don’t know if he would’ve been able to perform like he has the last two games two or three years ago.

Players improve... but coaches improve too. He has another 20 years of coaching left in him if he wants it. I don't think he is an NBA coach at all (but who knows), so I imagine if we keep winning, he will be here for a while if we're willing to pay him.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I’m sure this is going to age wellBUT I have to say that I really appreciate the direction that Hurley is taking the program. If you just look at the progress he has made, establishing his culture, overcoming injuries, recruiting, building a better team while losing key players each year, I’m really happy that UCONN hired him. This thread could be merged into a thousand different threads but for him to bring the program back to relevance and have it excel I couldn’t be happier. This is not a defeatist attitude because honestly comparing him to a hall of fame coach is pretty unrealistic to begin with and he has to bring UCONN back to the top his way. He’s doing so in a vastly different time and is doing so progressively and not rapidly. I feel like long term this will result in a stable program with prolonged success. Eventually if you keep pounding on the door you are going to break thru. Thank you coach.
How did I miss this thread the first time around.

I'll add he did not push out players. It could be argued it slowed the turn around. I admired him for taking that pathway.

This is the way!

Reaction Score
His calmer demeanor on the sidelines shows growth and maturity.

To paraphrase some of the posters, the players feed off the vibes shown by the coach, meaning if he is tense and agitated, that does the same to the players, but when he is in calm and in control (as he has shown lately on a consistent basis), so too are the players.

It is a progression that should get better as time goes by.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
LOL. I agree with everything you said. But man, I would have waited until we beat Iona to paint a target on my back like this, but that's just me.
Wouse! This is not the way!

Although it takes a strong person to admit they are a wouse. Is this the way?

Reaction Score
Look, we really need to win this year, but enough of this “in 5 years” narrative that you and your ilk keep peddling for drama’s sake.

Year #1 there was absolutely no expectations to make the NCAAs with the rebuild approach that he took (not doing a complete roster reboot). The place was an absolute dumpster fire.

Year #2 postseason got cancelled due to COVID. Was that Hurley’s fault?

Years #3 & #4…sure we can discuss.

Year #5 - TBD.

Enough of this “5 years” nonsense

Akok rupturing his achillies and Bouknight's elbow surgery were major setbacks, pre-injury Akok looked like he would be an elite player, same with Bouknight, post injury they were both shells of themselves.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc