Hurley agrees to new 6 year contract | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley agrees to new 6 year contract

Reaction Score
I suggest he’s never leaving UConn. We offer everything he would want. He’s comfortable in his own skin and my thoughts are he’s not into NBA coaching anymore than JC or GA were.
He did say in a couple of the podcasts after the national championship that he had NBA head coaching aspirations. Maybe he will change his mind making this much money with much more security than coaching in the NBA.

Reaction Score

Shortcut <<

-> In addition to the $400,000 base salary, Hurley will additionally receive a supplemental salary which increases annually, starting at $4.1 million for the 2023-24 season.

The supplemental salary is paid out for "the performance of media and speaking appearances, fundraising and development activities, public outreach and other similar responsibilities associated with the position." will increase to $4.2M on April 1, 2024, $4.3M in 2025, $4.5M in 2026, $4.7M in 2027 and $4.9M in 2028. <-

Reaction Score
NBA coaches make much more--it's not just the base salary.

Think of it this way... a great high school baller wants to play at the highest level D1 they can. There's a reason Clingan didn't commit to CCSU.

Same is true of coaches. Many coaches want to test their mettle against the best of the best, and coach the best of the best. And a lot of coaches end up flaming out because they couldn't hold up.

NBA is a very different game off the court. I think that piece will be the biggest adjustment for Danny.
I always found the top college coaches to be bigger names than the top NBA coaches. It used to be about the cushiest job there is, you're treated like a god and paid a ton of money. NBA is about the superstar players, college is about the coaches.

Reaction Score
hmmm, what is different with all these coaches except one ?

I always question the accuracy of these lists. Self made over $10 million last season. Coach K made over $10 million a decade ago.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
NBA coaches make much more--it's not just the base salary.

Think of it this way... a great high school baller wants to play at the highest level D1 they can. There's a reason Clingan didn't commit to CCSU.

Same is true of coaches. Many coaches want to test their mettle against the best of the best, and coach the best of the best. And a lot of coaches end up flaming out because they couldn't hold up.

NBA is a very different game off the court. I think that piece will be the biggest adjustment for Danny.
I don't think he's even ready for it. He likely knows that. He only just got a handle on managing his emotions and the refs last year. He's maturing as a coach. Dealing with those egos, that's tough.

That said, and I said this during the year, we ran a very NBA style offense and at least a little bit of an NBA defense last year. When he talks about facilitators instead of Point Guards, and more positionless concepts that is going to appeal to the NBA. NBA teams know it's hard for a college coach to even construct a roster than can play that way, and yet he did it.

Reaction Score
Couldn’t be happier! Coach Hurley’s the best!! I guess, however, I don’t know how we afford this kind of salary increase (with hopefully even more increases to come to deserving assistant coaches).
I’m obviously ignorant when it comes to our athletic program finances—only being aware of the previously announced large program financial deficit.

Reaction Score
Hurley's decision to come here has now been certified as the best coaching decision of his life.

I hope his brother has those jealous pains of UConn winning again.

Reaction Score
It's almost insulting. What do other coaches make that have a home made pipeline of awesome guys that want to play ball at your school? 20 mil a year right. What a deal. Make it 30 years are you kidding? I think Hurley rocks.

Reaction Score
I’m surprised the freak out is about the NBA buyout and not the college structure. Not that I think there’s many jobs he’d consider, but the structure implies he wanted flexibility for that down the line.

Everyone wants flexibility, doesn’t mean they have any interest in leaving. That’s how buyouts are typically negotiated, high in the early years and then they drop.

And as far as the nba look maybe he does go at some point and that will suck for us but also mean he’s continued to have success here. But also maybe he never does go. When talking about the nba he’s also mentioned he’s not ready yet. And he’s also talked about the players running the show at that level. Indont think it’s a sure thing he goes to the nba at some point

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
A 2nd or 3rd title would move him into Calhoun class. That will motivate him.
Great insight. I think he is totally about motivation (himself and those he leads). He somehow got his act together (seeing things as they really are) in the middle of last season and if he maintains that trajectory nothing can stop him from his best performance but himself. He accepted the things he couldn't change and changed the things he could. It must have been quite a revelation to him to see
how things worked out. Astonishing really. Looking forward to this season and how an ever maturing DH and staff face every situation in the midst of a sea of change that is college basketball. And Storrs is not called the college basketball capital of the world for nothing.

Reaction Score
6-8 shooter, versatile scorer and better athleticism than we think. He looks like an nba player to me.
I've read draft experts call the 2024 class a weaker draft class. That could help him get drafted.

Reaction Score
Not sure this is the OP to mention this but it is a comment about Dan and his staff.. The Big Three are perfect examples of young guys coming into the Program with rough edges that needed refinement.. I can't praise the staff and Dan enough for their dedication in growing their guys and the very impressive and impactful skill development that occurs when they come to Storrs..

Each of those three young men worked their butts off--as did the staff-- And here we are celebrating their good news and the future.. And Dan and his staff have an AD and University that appreciates their success and professionalism and are rewarding them for those skills. Everyone wins..

Reaction Score
JC all day
Lets Go Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness
still working on moving there

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member