Hurley agrees to new 6 year contract | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley agrees to new 6 year contract

Reaction Score
Some of you seek out reasons to be miserable. He was not going to be at UConn for another 20 years no matter what his buyout is.
There's a difference between being realistic and being miserable? It's naive to see those buyout numbers and not see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm at peace with it, he deserves the right to make whatever decision he wants. I'm far from miserable, so so why don't you take your internet tough guy persona to the Syracuse board where you belong.

Reaction Score
There's a difference between being realistic and being miserable? It's naive to see those buyout numbers and not see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm at peace with it, he deserves the right to make whatever decision he wants. I'm far from miserable, so so why don't you take your internet tough guy persona to the Syracuse board where you belong.
You might not want to, but you come across as miserable

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I'm happy about this news, but after reading the thread, this is basically Christmas for the Big 12 haters/non-realists

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm happy about this news, but after reading the thread, this is basically Christmas for the Big 12 haters/non-realists
Ehh, I forgive them. For they know not what they do.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Bruce Harwood Happy Cry GIF

Reaction Score
Big salary increase for a state school. All projections point to a dramatic enrollment decline by 2025. If we go into a recession, state schools will be in trouble. As long as DH keeps winning and brings in recruits, sports revenue will be a big positive and it will be a good deal for the school. Big 12 is the big elephant in the room.
UConn is extremely hard to get into now. Don’t worry about their enrollment

Reaction Score
Seems like Dave B is being reasonable about an exit to NBA that is not prohibitive if Dan ever pursues that interest but is also trying to protect UConn's financial interests re: Dan coaching somewhere else in CBB other than UConn..

Dan has earned this compensation/contract based on his performance vs other peers of his who haven't performed at his level but still got paid. Assures other investments in the Program per Dave-- hopefully assistants..

I'd call it a win/win-- for UConn and for Dan and his family. Rewarding performers is what sports is about.. Right??

Reaction Score
If Jackson is a first rounder this year. Karaban could easily be a first rounder next..

Reaction Score
Great news and well deserved! Built the program from the scrap heap in the AAC to Nat’l champs in 5 years. More than deserving of this!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Extremely interested in hearing how much the university also is dedicating to staff salaries.

Isn’t that usually included in these negotiations?
Hard to imagine DH agreeing without real assurances that he can get/keep who he wants.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’m surprised the freak out is about the NBA buyout and not the college structure. Not that I think there’s many jobs he’d consider, but the structure implies he wanted flexibility for that down the line.

Reaction Score
I suggest he’s never leaving UConn. We offer everything he would want. He’s comfortable in his own skin and my thoughts are he’s not into NBA coaching anymore than JC or GA were.

So I guess the question is whose opinion do we put more stock in, yours or Hurley's, given that Hurley has previously expressed an interest in potentially coaching in the NBA at some point. I'm leaning toward you but I'm still on the fence.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hurley has said that he one day wants to coach at the highest level and considering his competitive spirit, I fully believe that one day he will. He will however be very deliberate as to where and when he makes his move to the NBA.

Look at where he grew up, where he played college ball and where he has worked since. I believe that there are four, maybe five (Boston, NY, Brooklyn, Philly, maybe DC) NBA jobs that he would consider. I also believe that he won't even think about leaving here until he reaches the point where he feels he's accomplished all he can here (my guess is a minimum of two more titles) and he won't take an NBA job that is set up to fail.

We will be (happily) stuck with him for a while and when he goes we should be able to find a replacement. Maybe by then Kimani or Luke will have cut his teeth as a head coach elsewhere and be ready to return to the mother ship.

Reaction Score
So I guess the question is whose opinion do we put more stock in, yours or Hurley's, given that Hurley has previously expressed an interest in potentially coaching in the NBA at some point. I'm leaning toward you but I'm still on the fence.
Money talks and he’s making NBA money already? Coaching entitled athletes making huge money is a different game as Calipari & Patino found out and did not entice Jay Wright. Just my thoughts but who knows.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Hurley has said that he one day wants to coach at the highest level and considering his competitive spirit, I fully believe that one day he will. He will however be very deliberate as to where and when he makes his move to the NBA.

Look at where he grew up, where he played college ball and where he has worked since. I believe that there are four, maybe five (Boston, NY, Brooklyn, Philly, maybe DC) NBA jobs that he would consider. I also believe that he won't even think about leaving here until he reaches the point where he feels he's accomplished all he can here (my guess is a minimum of two more titles) and he won't take an NBA job that is set up to fail.

We will be (happily) stuck with him for a while and when he goes we should be able to find a replacement. Maybe by then Kimani or Luke will have cut his teeth as a head coach elsewhere and be ready to return to the mother ship.
He has quite the cushy job right now. I wouldn’t hold my breath for two more titles though… we’d be fortunate to ever win a title again. It’s insane that we just won a 5th. It’s so hard to do. And if he doesn’t win another, that won’t diminish him in the slightest. Plenty of high end coaches have never won a national title.

I agree that it will take the perfect situation, maybe 3+ years down the road for him to take an NBA job. It would be Brooklyn, Philly, NY, Boston or DC. And they would have to have a very good management structure and in a position to have success. The problem with the NBA is that head coaches seemingly don’t have as much of an impact as they do in college. For that reason, I think Dan is a better fit for college than the pros. That’s not a knock on him, that’s just because of his coaching style. And that’s not to say he couldn’t succeed in the pros. That might be more of a reason for him to take an NBA job- he perpetually has a chip on his shoulder and is up for big challenges.

Reaction Score
Money talks and he’s making NBA money already? Coaching entitled athletes making huge money is a different game as Calipari & Patino found out and did not entice Jay Wright. Just my thoughts but who knows.

NBA coaches make much more--it's not just the base salary.

Think of it this way... a great high school baller wants to play at the highest level D1 they can. There's a reason Clingan didn't commit to CCSU.

Same is true of coaches. Many coaches want to test their mettle against the best of the best, and coach the best of the best. And a lot of coaches end up flaming out because they couldn't hold up.

NBA is a very different game off the court. I think that piece will be the biggest adjustment for Danny.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom