Hurley after Cincinnati: “Leash is going to be a lot shorter” | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley after Cincinnati: “Leash is going to be a lot shorter”

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If you're not part of the solution, then......

Reaction Score
I agree. I think DH is fed up with Polley’s overall game.
Are you kidding ? He is not the main problem it is bad coaching and playing a guard that thinks he is playing in a school yard. Gilbert needs to sit. Bring Calhoun back for just one game

Reaction Score
I think it is safe to say the whole team(coaches included) didn’t show up tonight. I don’t think it is fair to throw all the blame at 1 or 2 guys. There isn’t a magic bullet this year...the guys need to show up, be consistent, and perform.

Reaction Score
I think it is safe to say the whole team(coaches included) didn’t show up tonight. I don’t think it is fair to throw all the blame at 1 or 2 guys. There isn’t a magic bullet this year...the guys need to show up, be consistent, and perform.

I just hate the not showing up excuse. Danny gets paid 3 mill a year. He and the team should show up to a conference opener against a team that has killed us for eight years.

Reaction Score
Agreed, everyone was pretty bad tonight. A few players played better in the 2nd half, but the first half was some terrible basketball all around, except maybe ok by CV.

Reaction Score
He has too, my confidence in Gilbert is waning, he absolutely refuses to learn from his mistakes. He still thinks he can "tricky dribble " into a triple team of much taller men, do a 360 and heave the ball over the back of his head and have a different result.

Now he's not the only problem, far from it, but that stupid nonsense is nauseating. I keep saying it's fixable, but it's not getting fixed.

We need size, big teams are going to kill us

Polley has to shoot, if he's scared to shoot then he has no game

We have to win with defense, and we have to make more shots

We could rebound better too
Polley was getting the ball with 2 seconds on the clock, closely guarded, and 25’ from the basket. Don’t blame him for missing. Blame the terrible offensive sets.

Reaction Score
Nor does he move to get set up. He waits and hopes he gets forgotten. some teams forget him, its easy, but some teams don't. Cincy didn't.
You think coaching wouldn’t help? Maybe he’s doing what he’s told.

Reaction Score
You think coaching wouldn’t help? Maybe he’s doing what he’s told.
I've thought that the last 2 years. And I've watched him. He's always camping out on the 3 line. It's likely that is what Danny is telling him to do. Part of the reason he never gets offensive rebounds. Very stagnant. But our offense for years has been a non-motion offense, and it seems Hurley is continuing that. Not sure if he can't get the kids to learn complex sets, or doesn't want to. But i'm also not sure Polley is quick enough to get around a screen, turn around, catch and fire. He is a very set shooter. It didn't work tonight. I also think nights when its not working, he needs to get in the tussle and grab a rebound. A game or two he had like 5. I was amazed that he can do it.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Polley was getting the ball with 2 seconds on the clock, closely guarded, and 25’ from the basket. Don’t blame him for missing. Blame the terrible offensive sets.

He has to move more and get open too

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Please oh please let it be
Gaffney
Bouk
Adams
Akok
Carlton
That would make a statement. I’m not sure if you can justify Gaffney over CV. I think you have either Gaffney or Adams in but not both.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He has to move more and get open too
Polley is very slow and flat footed. He can’t run past screens and cut as easily as other great shooters. He is not creative, so getting open is very difficult. He takes a lot of his shots off balance.

You need to run set plays for him that leave him unguarded (which has been proven hard) or find him in transition.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He had ZERO points and one rebound as a junior “leader”. That’s not part of the problem?? He wouldn’t be my choice to replace in the starting lineup but when he’s not getting open looks from 3, his value is nonexistent.
Yeah, but the coach and the guards have to run plays that get him the ball in his sweet spot. The guard play is generally lousy. You don’t win with lousy guard play.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but the coach and the guards have to run plays that get him the ball in his sweet spot. The guard play is generally lousy. You don’t win with lousy guard play.
I agree, but halfway through his junior season he should have developed more skills than being able to hit an open 3. If he’s not getting open 3s, he needs to contribute in other ways. He remains a poor rebounder who can’t create his own shot and can’t put the ball on the floor.

Reaction Score
Gilbert's role should probably be reduced and he should have a shorter leash.

Carlton gums Hurley's offense up completely. He's a back to the basket big man who's slow as molassas and he clogs up lanes. I feel like they play him less and stretch the floor more and create lanes, things get better quickly. Hurley's never liked using guys like him so i'm not surprised that of the older vets not playing well - he's been the guy Hurley's had no issues sitting.

The rest is just off the ball movement. Our pick and rolls are slow. Guys don't get open I mean heck - go watch some rando footage of tonight's game and just look at guys off the ball and watch how many of them ever get open consistently. It's wild. So we weave up top, no one is open - Vital/Gilbert are forced to force something, they drive into a lane with Carlton dragging two rhinos in tow and we either throw up something contested in the lane or pass and take a bad jumper.

Young guys have got to get better off the ball movement. Carlton needs to be clogging the lanes less. Those two things happen and i think a lot changes.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Gilbert's role should probably be reduced and he should have a shorter leash.

Carlton gums Hurley's offense up completely. He's a back to the basket big man who's slow as molassas and he clogs up lanes. I feel like they play him less and stretch the floor more and create lanes, things get better quickly. Hurley's never liked using guys like him so i'm not surprised that of the older vets not playing well - he's been the guy Hurley's had no issues sitting.

The rest is just off the ball movement. Our pick and rolls are slow. Guys don't get open I mean heck - go watch some rando footage of tonight's game and just look at guys off the ball and watch how many of them ever get open consistently. It's wild. So we weave up top, no one is open - Vital/Gilbert are forced to force something, they drive into a lane with Carlton dragging two rhinos in tow and we either throw up something contested in the lane or pass and take a bad jumper.

Young guys have got to get better off the ball movement. Carlton needs to be clogging the lanes less. Those two things happen and i think a lot changes.
I’ve never seen a team make a basketball court look smaller than these guys do. It looks like we have 7 guys on offense and I mean that as a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom