Huge Congratulations to NM for Big East defensive player of the year | The Boneyard

Huge Congratulations to NM for Big East defensive player of the year

Reaction Score
Kid is tough and turning out to be a very good player for us. Not bad for a player who is 'too slow'. Never mind, she has been instrumental in keeping our offense going since PB went out while at the same time, playing defense like her hair is on fire. Kid never gives an inch, all out of 94 feet the entire game. Way to go Nika!!!!

Reaction Score
And you know that the player bringing the ball up is already thinking about her, and probably changing plans. I do think her shooting has improved enough for her to take more shots, to keep the defense honest. Nika you're exciting to watch, keep it up!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Flash back to November 22 against SC in the Bahamas, when UConn struggled to contain Henderson & Cooke, SC’s two primary guards. In that game, Nika played only 3 minutes with a stat line full of goose eggs, except for one personal foul.

There’s a lot that’s changed on UConn’s team since that loss. Should the Huskies run into SC again during the Big Dance, the Gamecocks would most assuredly see a lot more of the BE DPOY.

Reaction Score
Flash back to November 22 against SC in the Bahamas, when UConn struggled to contain Henderson & Cooke, SC’s two primary guards. In that game, Nika played only 3 minutes with a stat line full of goose eggs, except for one personal foul.

There’s a lot that’s changed on UConn’s team since that loss. Should the Huskies run into SC again during the Big Dance, the Gamecocks would most assuredly see a lot more of the BE DPOY.
I cant wait to see what she can do against SC. I think she could get under Cooke's skin.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I cant wait to see what she can do against SC. I think she could get under Cooke's skin.
Probably matched up with Henderson, SC’s pg. Cooke has struggled of late shooting the ball, and would probably get a healthy dose of Christyn and Azzi, who has really stepped up her intensity on defense.

Reaction Score
Probably matched up with Henderson, SC’s pg. Cooke has struggled of late shooting the ball, and would probably get a healthy dose of Christyn and Azzi, who has really stepped up her intensity on defense.
yes i do agree, but Id see what NM can do with cooke as well but I agree that may not happen much.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Despite being the Big East's Defensive POY, Nika is still not a quick-footed defender. Henderson's first step would be a big problem for her, or for Azzi. I would expect to see Christyn guarding Henderson and Nika or Azzi on Cooke.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Despite being the Big East's Defensive POY, Nika is still not a quick-footed defender. Henderson's first step would be a big problem for her, or for Azzi. I would expect to see Christyn guarding Henderson and Nika or Azzi on Cooke.
I don’t know about that. Last season during UConn’s win over SC in Storrs, Nika started, primarily matching up with Henderson, who had an abysmal day, going 5/17 from the floor with 8 turnovers.

Reaction Score
last year NM kicked henderson's *ss all over the court. Nika is plenty quick, not the quickest by any means but she gets it done with anticipation, hard work and film study. Yes she will get beat as anybody would, but she will hold her own. She may not be able to play chest to chest as much as she does, but I have faith in NM to give henderson hell again this year and cooke for that matter if and when she is matched up with her.

Reaction Score
I haven't been able to see every game. Has Nika actually fouled out of a game this year?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Overnight Croatian authorities reported that a Soviet drone crashed in Nika's hometown of Zagreb. They suspect that it was from the conflict in Ukraine. Let's hope Nika is not recalled to defend her homeland from stray UFOs. ;)

Reaction Score
If we do go against SC again, I'd like Nika on Henderson and Azzi on Cooke. Nika was really hampered by her foot injury last time, but now that's fully recharged, she'll impact SC's formidable halfcourt offense. With her hustle and dogged attack of a team's point guard, she turns the 30-second clock into a 20-second possession, and that is a major difference for a team to run its offense...

Reaction Score
I haven't been able to see every game. Has Nika actually fouled out of a game this year?
No, she came close I believe in the semi-final when she picked up 4 fouls. Geno left her in though.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
On the way to this well deserved award Nika, a favorite of mine, also won the Prolific Fouler Award. ;):D
ha, ha. ... but for those here who might not get the irony -- & i'm sure there are a bunch -- this is an opportunity to note how amazingly nika has adjusted and become so proficient at avoiding fouls, considering her style of play -- all-out, scrambling, up-tight, in-your-face on defense. PLUS regularly mixing it up on the boards, banging furiously.

this is the stuff that ya know is gonna inspire teammates.

she gotta be proud.

Reaction Score
If we do go against SC again, I'd like Nika on Henderson and Azzi on Cooke. Nika was really hampered by her foot injury last time, but now that's fully recharged, she'll impact SC's formidable halfcourt offense. With her hustle and dogged attack of a team's point guard, she turns the 30-second clock into a 20-second possession, and that is a major difference for a team to run its offense...
not sure if Azzi can handle cooke. i think cooke will test her early and often, which could take SC out of their game a bit - happens when cooke goes one on one too much. anyway, azzi has gotten better on defense this year, moves her feet pretty well, but still gets beat a bit too often. that could (not would) be exacerbated against cooke. hope she is up for the challenge.

Reaction Score
I don't know where the heck CL is, so I'll have to say it. The woman is a menace.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Getting a little ahead of ourselves methinks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom