how's the fan turnout in Phoenix? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

how's the fan turnout in Phoenix?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Lots of Purdue fans because so many midwest transplants live here. The non affiliated fans I talked root for Uconn mostly.
That helps. But this is also really big for them. For us, we were there last year. A bunch of UConn fans spent to get to Kansas because that was novel for us. Even in a different locations we’d be outnumbered. Plus Purdue is a bigger school, so are the other two.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
I’m at a hotel walking distance to the arena. It’s been almost all Purdue for thee days now. Sprinkle in some NC State and I met my first two Bama fans last night. Haven’t seen another UConn fan at this hotel yet.

Reaction Score
Flight from Houston this morning has a lot of Bama and NC State fans (expected as a southern hub). Just two of us wearing UConn gear

Reaction Score
Came in last night from JFK and had a good chunk of UCONN on my flight. Staying in Scottsdale and decent Purdue showing up this way

Reaction Score
Big Ten schools are larger and generally have incredibly passionate fanbases. Add in that UConn fans had another team in the Final Four in a huge game elsewhere in the country and just probably paid a crapton last year, you can imagine they may not have as many.

But, again, I think people here tend to underestimate fanbases of schools like Purdue because we associate fanbases with winning. That's a very New England thing, I think (it's everywhere, but especially New England).

That said, if UConn wins this weekend, I think our fanbase takes another big step up as I suspect there will be a ton more national bandwagoners hopping aboard. Sort of like the Warriors, or like Duke in the late 80s-early 90s.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There’s a girl in Alabama gear on my flight, easily a 9.5/10 but she’s probably dating her brother so that stinks for me.
Bama-3.jpg

Reaction Score
Was at the open practice yesterday. Would have to say Purdue is by a large amount the number 1 group here next was UConn
Didn't see very many Bama fans. Wasn't there for the NCST practice so don't know about their numbers.

Reaction Score
Was at the open practice yesterday. Would have to say Purdue is by a large amount the number 1 group here next was UConn
Didn't see very many Bama fans. Wasn't there for the NCST practice so don't know about their numbers.
I agree with the rankings as well for fan bases. Interested to see how it is today when I get there.

Reaction Score
Came in last night from JFK and had a good chunk of UCONN on my flight. Staying in Scottsdale and decent Purdue showing up this way
Im in Scottsdale as well and not many UConn fans in this part of the city. This place so spread out people are staying quite a distance from venue. I imagine there will be enough of us to make some noise. The starving fan bases definitely have made the trip.

Reaction Score
Big Ten schools are larger and generally have incredibly passionate fanbases. Add in that UConn fans had another team in the Final Four in a huge game elsewhere in the country and just probably paid a crapton last year, you can imagine they may not have as many.

But, again, I think people here tend to underestimate fanbases of schools like Purdue because we associate fanbases with winning. That's a very New England thing, I think (it's everywhere, but especially New England).

That said, if UConn wins this weekend, I think our fanbase takes another big step up as I suspect there will be a ton more national bandwagoners hopping aboard. Sort of like the Warriors, or like Duke in the late 80s-early 90s.
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t UConn see a similar bump in the mid 90s to 2004 with “bandwagon” national fans? I was too young to really remember it, but I do remember reading over the years that UConn basketball was basically the coolest brand in the sport.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised Purdue's alumni base is only ~double ours. The school currently has about two and a half as many undergradds as we do and historically it was a much larger gap. That they are from a state that takes the sport very seriously, compounded by the fact that they haven't been here since 1980, their turnout should be expected.

NC State also should do better than us on the facts that they are also a larger school (not the size of Purdue), also are from a state that tales the sport very seriously (NC St has a far stronger fan base than many realize) and that they havent been there since they won it all in 1983. That they are such a longshot may have kept some home in NC however.

Reaction Score
Was at the Sheraton downtown bar last night to watch the women play and it was insane. Huge UConn contingent. U-C-O-N-N chants and everything. Lots of Purdue around town, followed by NC State. No Bama fans. The locals i have met all say they are rooting for UConn because they picked them in their pool. Then they say the Lady Huskies got a bad call last night.

Reaction Score
Zero Bama fans, too many Purdue fans, NC State looks like they did they’re share bringing fans as well.

UConn probably in 3rd for showing.

Zero Bama fans. It’s kinda crazy.

Reaction Score
Was at the Sheraton downtown bar last night to watch the women play and it was insane. Huge UConn contingent. U-C-O-N-N chants and everything. Lots of Purdue around town, followed by NC State. No Bama fans. The locals i have met all say they are rooting for UConn because they picked them in their pool. Then they say the Lady Huskies got a bad call last night.
Is the Sheraton the UConn hotel though?

Reaction Score
IF?!? Good lord. You people are morons.
I'm a current UConn student and the plane tickets to Phoenix on such short notice are too much. Too bad the site is so far away and there aren't even any west coast teams in it

Reaction Score
My boy 1985 just drove in from San Diego via I 10 thru a snow storm. Huskies represent. He needs 1 ticket for tomorrow, lmk, ill pay
How much wiling to pay?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom