Howard transfer R.J. Cole visits Alabama, UConn is next scheduled visit | The Boneyard

Howard transfer R.J. Cole visits Alabama, UConn is next scheduled visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Next up, Cole will visit UConn over Memorial Day weekend. UConn’s Dan Hurley and Kimani Young have already met with Cole and his parents.

“Playing for Danny would be nice, it would keep things in the family type thing,” Cole said. “I played for his father [Bob Hurley Sr. at St. Anthony’s]. He just wants an older to come in and be ready to play because they have younger guards.

From a 247 Sports article:

Alabama and UConn are the two schools that appear to be in best shape at this time. A visit to see the Huskies was set for next weekend, but Cole will be at an NBA draft prep camp, and had to reschedule his trip.

“I’ll probably end up deciding between those two,” he said, adding neither leads at this point, otherwise he would have committed by now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's certainly good news that we're one of the two finalists. I just hope that his official visit getting pushed back doesn't cost us one of our class of 2019 targets. I like our chances, though.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Doomed.

Reaction Score
Postponing could be a good thing.

As far as tje Bones Hyland thing... bones has a higher ceiling. He could be am NBA guy OR a total bust. RJ is a proven d1 player. Get him on the court in national flag blue.

Reaction Score
Strange weekend for a visit. Will anyone be on campus?

Reaction Score
The fact that he didn't commit to Alabama and rescheduled us when a conflict came up instead of canceling is definitely good.
Also, he says he hasn't decided yet after visiting Alabama and he hasn't even been on campus at UConn yet. I like it.

CL82

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Postponing could be a good thing.

As far as tje Bones Hyland thing... bones has a higher ceiling. He could be am NBA guy OR a total bust. RJ is a proven d1 player. Get him on the court in national flag blue.

The staff would take Cole over Brooks. However, assuming we miss on Precious it’s possible we get both.

Reaction Score
My guy says we are in good shape here but to not count out Nate Oats in the recruiting game.

Reaction Score
Huge that he did not commit to Alabama on his visit.

I wonder if Hurley is trying to figure a way to not have him on scholarship next year similar to what Akok did this year. It looks like he wants a hs guard, big, and Cole. Not sure if that's possible.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Huge that he did not commit to Alabama on his visit.

I wonder if Hurley is trying to figure a way to not have him on scholarship next year similar to what Akok did this year. It looks like he wants a hs guard, big, and Cole. Not sure if that's possible.

Cole averaged 20 PPG at the D-I level; do you really think he's going to walk-on here instead of playing on scholarship at literally any other school?

Hurley wouldn't insult the kid's talent by suggesting he walk on.

Reaction Score
Predicting the Boneyard reaction:

If he picks Bama: “$EC” “Boosters!” “Someone call the FBI”

If he picks UConn: “D’aww he just loved the Dairy Bar so much!” “I see a lot of {insert great UConn PG} in him” “apizza!”

Reaction Score
Cole averaged 20 PPG at the D-I level; do you really think he's going to walk-on here instead of playing on scholarship at literally any other school?

Hurley wouldn't insult the kid's talent by suggesting he walk on.

So with his visit getting rescheduled, is Hurley telling Demarr and Nah'shon to wait on a commitment?

Just seems odd that Hurley is recruiting both. That is what it looks like anyway. I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
I think based on the history of R.J. with the Hurley family, his ties to the northeast, his only two visits and we are last, the quote from Danny, "we really need you here", it all points to R.J. coming here. He's solid and a proven scorer with a higher ceiling than he is showing against Howard class competition.

I think he commits on his visit or soon after. I'm sure Hurley Sr. will be in attendance at some point too and I'm sure that is relevant.

We already have 5 guards for next year, R.J. will have a year in the program and be on deck when Vital leaves after the season. An experienced point guard to go along with Gaffney and insurance towards AG maybe leaving also. Depends what kind of year he has.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
So with his visit getting rescheduled, is Hurley telling Demarr and Nah'shon to wait on a commitment?

Just seems odd that Hurley is recruiting both. That is what it looks like anyway. I could be wrong.

Good coaches recruit multiple players at the same time knowing they won't all come here. Hurley put most of his eggs in the Kofi basket and look how that turned out: he went somewhere else, and we didn't have a backup plan.

If one of the guards commits, Hurley will back off the other, unless there's something we don't know about another scholarship becoming available.

Reaction Score
My guy says we are in good shape here but to not count out Nate Oats in the recruiting game.

We’re in good with a kid who the Hurley’s have known for years, and Oates is strong on the recruiting trail. Good thing I logged in today

Reaction Score
Good coaches recruit multiple players at the same time knowing they won't all come here. Hurley put most of his eggs in the Kofi basket and look how that turned out: he went somewhere else, and we didn't have a backup plan.

If one of the guards commits, Hurley will back off the other, unless there's something we don't know about another scholarship becoming available.

I understand how recruiting works, thank you. A guard for next year and a sit one play two are two completely different scenarios.

Hurley didn't put all his eggs in the Kofi basket. He recruited multiple other bigs and missed or backed off i.e. Wahab and Mitchell.

Reaction Score
This has to be the most confusing/quiet recruiting season ever for UConn basketball. How many scholarships do we have? It seems we are on like 6 different guys for one spot and the number keeps growing.

Reaction Score
You don't ha
Right, I’m just making this up, hoping to get slammed if I’m wrong. Go do something productive.
Yea you really went out on a limb to predict UConn when he's between 2 schools.

CL82

Reaction Score
Predicting the Boneyard reaction:

If he picks Bama: “$EC” “Boosters!” “Someone call the FBI”

If he picks UConn: “D’aww he just loved the Dairy Bar so much!” “I see a lot of {insert great UConn PG} in him” “apizza!” "What's Hurley doing? We really need a big not another guard."
FIFY

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I understand how recruiting works, thank you. A guard for next year and a sit one play two are two completely different scenarios.

Hurley didn't put all his eggs in the Kofi basket. He recruited multiple other bigs and missed or backed off i.e. Wahab and Mitchell.

You claim to know how recruiting works, but think Hurley is trying to get Cole to come here to walk-on...

Hurley backed off of Mitchell (for reasons that are now obvious and justified) and clearly didn't recruit Wahab all that hard until Kofi moved on. As to your point about how a transfer and 2019 recruit are two different scenarios, my best guess is that Hurley is more concerned about guard depth in 20-21 and beyond than next year. As of right now, we have Gilbert, Vital, Gaffney, Bouknight, and Adams for next year; I doubt any guard we brought in would play all that much anyway as a freshman. The following season Vital leaves and Gilbert may very well be gone as he graduates, so we'll need help that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom