How would 2015-18 have gone if Jim Calhoun had stayed? | The Boneyard

How would 2015-18 have gone if Jim Calhoun had stayed?

Reaction Score
Assuming we were still in the American Conference and had won the 2014 championship.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I don't know that we beat MSU in Germany if JC was still there. It's tough to change any art of the equation and still expect magic to happen. And starting with that game, the 2013 season is what made Bazz, Bazz. Do you remember all the games we won in OT, playing short handed that season? That was Mr. Napier's training ground for the next season. Change anything from '13, and who knows what 14 might have been like? Might've been a better team through the season, and yet not won the NCAA tourney. Might've been disfunctional, too. One thing I firmly believe though, is that without '13, there is no chip in '14. Take away that title, and there is no way to project the outcome of the 15 through 18 seasons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Better but I think Calhoun saw the writing on the wall
The APR was under his watch so yes it was time. Had we only had fake and bogus courses where the papers were written by others and the A’s flowed like milk and honey there would have been no APR, just like Carolina.

Reaction Score
Calhoun still needs to answer for the 2012 season. Aside from 04 when have we been more loaded?
JC last three Big East seasons
2009-2010
Were 7-11
With a starting lineup
Of Kemba
Dyson
AO
Gavin Edwards
Stanley Robinson
and Bench that included 2 7 footers
Early NIT exit.
2010-11
9-9 we finished 9th remember.
2012-13
8-10
That last year he had Bazz,Boat,AO,Roscoe, Lamb,Giffey,and DD and I almost forgot Drummond.
What would KO have done with those guys ?
We’ve never approached a lineup like that again.
He had lost something and missed much time with a variety of illness.. We wee under constant negative media scrutiny an$ our league was destroyed around us
Although if he stayed that might of helped that cause.
Recruiting was tougher every year. Even on that loaded team many of those guys were second choices and de-commits .
If JC stayed he would probably not still be alive stress kills.
I never realized at the time how much JC ‘s legacy was enhanced by Kemba in 2011
an early exit from the Big East a low seed and he goes out on a pretty negative terms.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
For one thing we'd go into our games as underdogs with a semblance of hope of winning the game.

Reaction Score
The whole roster would be different, save jalen. They would all be about 15-25 lbs heavier. Position less basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Think things were declining under JC. Even in 2012 the regular season was pretty ordinary other than the Maui Classic victory. I have no regrets regarding the KO hire because he brought us a title in 2014 - which most programs would absolutely kill for. But after 4 very disappointing seasons (2016 we made the tournament only because of a lucky shot) the program needs to go in a different direction.

KO has made millions and will have plenty of offers to be a NBA assistant coach. We don't need to shed any tears for him.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
D Hamilton, V Jackson and some others probably would've stayed. Probably would've had less decommits.

DHam didn't leave UConn, he left college. Would JC have been able to talk him into staying to try to up his position? Maybe, but I really think that decision was set in stone.

Reaction Score
I don't have an answer but I just wanted to stop by and say that this is an interesting question.

Thank you.

Reaction Score
Who knows how those specific years turn out (very well obviously) but no doubt we would still be a national power with the issue being concern over what seed and matchup we get in March and who will go pro early.... not an unwatchable undisciplined mediocre skilled and very marginal athletic team that is 50-50 on making the NIT and with no such thing as any more sure thing wins in November and December....

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Think things were declining under JC. Even in 2012 the regular season was pretty ordinary other than the Maui Classic victory. I have no regrets regarding the KO hire because he brought us a title in 2014 - which most programs would absolutely kill for. But after 4 very disappointing seasons (2016 we made the tournament only because of a lucky shot) the program needs to go in a different direction.

KO has made millions and will have plenty of offers to be a NBA assistant coach. We don't need to shed any tears for him.

Again, for the zillionth time, we did not make the 2016 tourney only because of Jalen's miracle shot. We were clearly already in. All it really did is affect our seeding, ironically in a negative sense. We likely improved our seed slightly, which gave us our second game vs. Kansas.

Reaction Score
It would have been chaos with Calhoun missing multiple games at a time for different reasons, apr problems, and blowups that were scrutinized in the media instead of brushed aside. I love Calhoun but it would have been tough for him to keep adapting.

Reaction Score

We were in before the aac semi game in 16

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom