How will Paige Adjust to the WNBA? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How will Paige Adjust to the WNBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think, Paige, like any rookie, will adjust according to their expectations of themselves and their team expectations. Clark is pressing too hard out there. She just needs to let the game come to her and things will fall into place. Paige, depending on the team around her and how she approaches the game, will adjust. If my memory serves, I only remember Candace Parker being the only (true) rookie that came in and really owned the stage from the jump. I could be wrong, which won't be the first time.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think it ultimately comes down to how she gets used. If she lands on a team with a good system and good team chemistry I think she could be excellent from the get go.

Clark has struggled early, but to be fair it seems like primarily an Indiana issue rather than specifically Caitlin. Sides isn’t playing to player strengths at all and the team looks like a mess. If Paige walks into a situation like that, she’ll struggle. If she joins a better run franchise, she could thrive immediately.

Reaction Score
I think, Paige, like any rookie, will adjust according to their expectations of themselves and their team expectations. Clark is pressing too hard out there. She just needs to let the game come to her and things will fall into place. Paige, depending on the team around her and how she approaches the game, will adjust. If my memory serves, I only remember Candace Parker being the only (true) rookie that came in and really owned the stage from the jump. I could be wrong, which won't be the first time.
Well.....since you are probably not going to consider Lauren Jackson a true rooke for not coming from College, there were others, in fact who ended up winning ROY honors for excellent play and led their teams. Starting late:

Sue Bird transformed the Seattle Storm and elevated Lauren Jackson's play even more - as the PG, that was great success which earned her 2nd place in the ROY voting but voted an All-Star

Swin Cash for the Shock, Seimone Augustus for the Lynx, Sylvia Fowles for the Sky (though injury limited her rookie season to 17 games) had great playing starts to their WNBA careers.

Elena Delle Donne, Chicago Sky had a great rookie season
Tamika Catchings, Indiana Fever
Diana Taurasi, Phoenix Suns
Maya Moore, Minnesota Lynx
Breanna Stewart, Seattle Storm
and Aja Wilson, Las Vegas Aces

Like Candace Parker, all of them won the ROY, except for runner-up Bird who finished 2nd to Tamika.

But only Maya led her team to the championship her rookie year. Bird in her 3rd year, Diana in her 4th year, I believe Stewie was also in her 3rd year and Swin in her 2nd year.

Parker was indeed a great player but drafted in 2008 into a good Sparks team, she didn't lead them to a title until 2016 with most valuable help from Nneka Ogwumike, 5 years after the latter was drafted. The year before Candace was drafted, Diana won her first title in 2007 and Bird in 2004 and Swin in 2003 and 2006 with Detroit Shock

During Parker's tenure with the Sparks from 2008 to 2020 (13 years), she won that one title in 2016. In the span of those years, a UConn great led her team to the title - this happened 9 times in 13 years.....courtesy of Diana (2X), Sue (3X) with Stewie (2X), and Maya (4X). I wouldn't say Parker owned the stage. Detroit Shock won it in 2008, Indiana Fever in 2012. Candace finally got her 2nd in 2021 with the Sky at the expense of Diana.

Too bad an injury aborted Cheryl Miller's career.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Paige is an assist machine. Clark never has been. Advantage Paige.
Mmm, for real? I’d advise you to go look at their assists stats for their career. Clark is almost double that of Paige per game.

I’m not saying Paige isn’t a great passer — she’s amazing. What I am saying is that you obviously have no clue re Clark.

Reaction Score
I first heard about Paige whilst I was trying to ease my summer basketball addiction blues after Paige's sophomore year, when I saw replays of her games in the Minnesota state playoffs. I have never seen a young girl with such a complete game! I watched as many of her games as I could find.

Even through all these injuries, she has continued to add new tricks to her bag. She's much stronger than her slender build would make one think... Just watch her absorb contact and finish plays! And look how tough she has been while having to be a Swiss Army knife due to all of UConn's injuries!

Paige is also better on the other end of the floor, with more energy and anticipation ability.

Like with Caitlin, the WNBA vets and coaching staffs will do their best to exploit any weakness Paige might have, but that should be a tougher task due to Paige's more balanced game. Add in how much more physical the WNBA'ers are.

Of course, they will manage to find something, maybe... Or not.

Reaction Score
It’s the usual funnel phenomenon we’re all familiar with. In HS, most of the kids you play against will not move on to D1 basketball. Some of your opponents are 14 or 15. We all know it takes freshmen a little time to adjust to teams stocked with better talent and no 14 year olds. Only the very best of this group will make it into the W, and rookies will once again be the youngster going up against veterans with a lot more experience and comparable talent.

In addition to everything else, there’s a ton of pressure on Caitlin to live up to the hype. I wondered if she might be better used at sg instead of pg, but even that would be a difficult change, and I suspect the coach is feeling some pressure from the fans to feature Caitlin with the ball in her hands as much as possible. I feel for Caitlin and have a feeling she’ll find her sea legs soon enough. Talent will out. Just as she was overhyped before the season, now she’s being over criticized after only two games.
Well said. Caitlin has a steep climb ahead. In pro basketball, you're playing against seasoned players, the best of the best with years of experience at that higher level. The promotion machine has created a problem for her. She won't get off 30 shots a game in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Correction: she ran Nika down her first game lmao.
If it's the play I'm thinking of, Nika ran into DT and was called for the foul. On that play it would be more accurate to say Nika ran DT down. In any event with 2 hard cases, what would you expect?

Reaction Score
Will Paige adjust to the pros better than Caitlin? Yes, probably. I think so. But it will look different from what we might think adjusting looks like for Caitlin. Their skill sets aren't so different, but Paige isn't quite as limited as a shot creator. Don't get me wrong, Caitlin's step-back-3-falling-away-to-her-left is a beautiful shot. But it was crafted to befuddle college players, and pro players will be better at adjusting to it. Of course, she'll figure this out and broaden her arsenal.

But Paige is already there. She's not beholden to any particular shot. She drives left or right, she pops in midrange jumpers from either side, she writhes and contorts herself ad hoc to snake a layup past larger players every game. And as others have said, she's probably a better pg than Caitlin. Of course, as a pro pg, she won't score as much because she won't shoot as much. And there won't be as much pressure on her to score a lot because, unlike Caitlin, she won't enter the league as the D1 scoring champion. If Paige averages 18 pts and 8 assists, she'll be perceived as having a great career. For Caitlin, those numbers will disappoint fans who've been led (unfairly or not) to expect something else.
Mr. Dog, excellent post. That was the point I was trying to make, but you said it better. Paige will have less flash, hype, and expectation than CC and that will make the adjustment to the W look smoother.

How many of us watched CC first game so that we wouldn't miss her scoring a ton of points and heroics to single handily win that game? OK, that's a little over the top, but you get what I mean. I think Paige will have a little less of that dogging her.

Reaction Score
Well said. Caitlin has a steep climb ahead. In pro basketball, you're playing against seasoned players, the best of the best with years of experience at that higher level. The promotion machine has created a problem for her. She won't get off 30 shots a game in the WNBA.
Nor did she, or even close to 30 shots per game, in college...

Reaction Score
CC is playing for a coach that is completely in over her head. She has three of the best players from college on her team and their offense is terrible. They keep running CC into double teams and their post game is non existent so far this year. If the Fever don't change coaches in the next week or so I would be shocked.

As far as the play of CC so far I would say she is being mugged on pretty much every possession. She is getting no calls when she is on offense and she is getting a lot of cheap fouls on defense. The league needs at least be fair with her when she has the ball or the opportunity to cash in on the CC craze will go by the wayside.

As far as Paige goes I think she will have the same issues if they allow the defense to play her the same way. The one thing that Paige does that CC doesn't do is maximize the midrange game. Paige is very good a not getting too deep into the defense when she gets past her defender and is automatic from 12-15 feet. Paige is not a big drive to draw fouls player and that is CC whole game outside of 3 point shooting so when she doesn't get the calls she can be held in check.

If the WNBA adjusts and makes the guards play defense without the holding then CC will still have a huge year and the surge in popularity of the league will be multiplied again next year with Paige joining the league.

Reaction Score
Thought about this as well. It's hard to say without seeing PB in her final year. Obviously it's the most talented league with a lot of great athletes. I think CC style is so different. She was such a a high usage player with the ball in her hands a lot at Iowa. Very high risk high reward. Im sure she had games with close to 10 turnovers in college. I guess there is the discussion with Paige but similarly is CC best at point guard? Time will tell, I really think she should split time even more with Grace Berger and not run the offense as much. Like they should be getting their other high draft picks the ball to put less pressure on CC.
But I do think some of the Twitter scout criticism was right about Caitlin. It seems she needs to get more comfortable in the mid range. Going right she tends to drive hall the way, going left she tends to go for the step back. Like I don't think she shoots pull ups or post fade aways. The W knows that and now the person on u is a better athlete and the person at the rim is bigger and more physical. So I think she's having a tougher time getting off shots cuz she's a bit limited in terms of shot creation. Sounds insane, and it's not a shot but just an observation. I think she'll eventually be better though, just a tough schedule to start.
I think Paige is much better in the mid range. But she could improve going left and finishing left. Also she should probably continue to get stronger so she can finish or even shoot in the mid range around bodies. Also she has to make quicker decisions and be ready to shoot.
One last thing, in Paige favor. She's really played with pros and has probably gone against pros in practice. I don't know how practice works but she is playing players just as athletic and strong. Even this year, if she's defending KC and Azzi and KK, I don't think the step up will be that crazy. At Iowa CC not sure anyone in the gym was even close to her level. Especially like the backups who probably went against the starters
100% agree, maybe a little wordy,
Every rookie has to adjust to the speed of the WNBA vs. college. Once Clark does she will be fine.
Paige's pull up may be the shot that will help vs. Clarks always going to the rim.

Reaction Score
As far as the play of CC so far I would say she is being mugged on pretty much every possession. She is getting no calls when she is on offense and she is getting a lot of cheap fouls on defense. The league needs at least be fair with her when she has the ball or the opportunity to cash in on the CC craze will go by the wayside.
It’s good for her to called for fouls for once. It’s setting a new standard. She was literal Teflon in college no matter what nonsense she pulled. Bounce the ball of your head? No tech. Shout at a ref? No tech. Shove someone away from you on defense? No foul. Elbow a girl so hard she needs to sit down for the rest of the quarter while getting her ribs checked? Wow, no foul? Taunt someone? No foul. Anybody else would get an immediate tech for any of these actions, but not the NCAA’s golden child. The last person anybody should be complaining about “not getting calls” is Caitlin Clark.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Mmm, for real? I’d advise you to go look at their assists stats for their career. Clark is almost double that of Paige per game.

I’m not saying Paige isn’t a great passer — she’s amazing. What I am saying is that you obviously have no clue re Clark.
Funny, isn't it? Career stats--Bueckers 383 total 4.5 average Clark 1144 total 9.5 average.

Reaction Score
Aha! Fever coach makes an adjustment: get CC off as the main ballhandler/PG and let her run around instead as the SG. She's doing better. But team chemistry still needs a lot of work.

Same thing I advocated here for Paige's team how to use her at the start of her WNBA career.

TAK

Moved to the right state for women's basketball.
Reaction Score
I have a bias toward Paige and think she will do very well in the WNBA. There will be an adjustment for her like any rookie in the league. I will not judge Caitlin until the mid-point of the season. Caitlin has brought attention to women’s basketball which will benefit the sustainability of the WNBA. Ticket sales will allow expansion.

Reaction Score
Paige is an assist machine. Clark never has been. Advantage Paige.
Wow! Talk about bias blinders! Do you realize that Clark led the nation in assists and assists/game this year?

Now, if you wanna’ talk assist to turnover ratio . . .

I believe Paige will be the better rookie because she (1) is more versatile and adaptable and (2) she is a far better defender . More importantly. She will patiently take what the opponent and her coach give her and not try to force anything.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s good for her to called for fouls for once. It’s setting a new standard. She was literal Teflon in college no matter what nonsense she pulled. Bounce the ball of your head? No tech. Shout at a ref? No tech. Shove someone away from you on defense? No foul. Elbow a girl so hard she needs to sit down for the rest of the quarter while getting her ribs checked? Wow, no foul? Taunt someone? No foul. Anybody else would get an immediate tech for any of these actions, but not the NCAA’s golden child. The last person anybody should be complaining about “not getting calls” is Caitlin Clark.
She’s not the only one that got away with taunting! I take it you’re not a fan? Stars have always gotten a break from referees, especially in the pros. See the “Jordan Rules” or watch LeBron take six steps on his way to the basket.

Reaction Score
She’s not the only one that got away with taunting! I take it you’re not a fan? Stars have always gotten a break from referees, especially in the pros. See the “Jordan Rules” or watch LeBron take six steps on his way to the basket.
It’s not just taunting. Did you read the other examples I gave out? Literally anybody else would’ve been immediately assessed a foul. Others did the same thing sure, but CC got away with 1000x more than just taunting.

Reaction Score
She shouldn’t need to take 30 shots in the WNBA! People are dismissing her waaay too fast imo, Any player is going to have an adjustment period, much less a PG and a player that practically the entire league seems (inexplicably, as she is bringing more fans in than anyone in recent memory) to root against and put down! I predict she will adjust to this level as well and that, barring injury, will (within a year or two) become a top ten player!
She will do this furthermore, in spite of (so far) little to no support from her coach, a clear reluctance on the part of some of her own teammates to pass her the ball, and the apparent inability of her stud center to get down the floor in a timely manner! Oh, and the seeming inability of many of her teammates to catch her passes! Let’s give her a few months and reconvene after she’s played 20-30 games. I’m betting people will be talking about her in a way different tone in August!

Reaction Score
It’s not just taunting. Did you read the other examples I gave out? Literally anybody else would’ve been immediately assessed a foul. Others did the same thing sure, but CC got away with 1000x more than just taunting.
I agree that she has gotten a lot of calls, (see my comment about “stars”) the reason I focused on the taunting is because of the ludicrous comparison that was made between her “you can’t see me” gesture, which was made toward her own bench (and which, in and of itself, is a relatively non specific gesture) and that of another player who actually followed Clark around on court during the game (as the clock wound down on the most disappointing loss of her career, I might add) and practically shoved her hand in her face while gloating over the fact that she, not Clark, was getting the “ring”!
I don’t care about trash talk, my favorite player of all time, is generally touted as the best trash talker ever. I just thought that using the comparison of those respective events to equate (and excuse) the over the top poor sportsmanship of one player with that of Clark’s non targeted and non “in your face” gesture, was just a pathetic attempt to excuse poor sportsmanship on the part of another player.

Reaction Score
I agree that she has gotten a lot of calls, (see my comment about “stars”) the reason I focused on the taunting is because of the ludicrous comparison that was made between her “you can’t see me” gesture, which was made toward her own bench (and which, in and of itself, is a relatively non specific gesture) and that of another player who actually followed Clark around on court during the game (as the clock wound down on the most disappointing loss of her career, I might add) and practically shoved her hand in her face while gloating over the fact that she, not Clark, was getting the “ring”!
I don’t care about trash talk, my favorite player of all time, is generally touted as the best trash talker ever. I just thought that using the comparison of those respective events to equate (and excuse) the over the top poor sportsmanship of one player with that of Clark’s non targeted and non “in your face” gesture, was just a pathetic attempt to excuse poor sportsmanship on the part of another player.
That’s… not the taunt I was talking about lmao. I was talking about the hand wave to Raven. But my main point wasn’t even focused on the taunting. My point was that she should’ve gotten way more T’s this year but she didn’t, despite her actions not being any different than anyone else. I’ve seen tons of compilations of other players waving their hands in a taunting manner or looking the wrong way at somebody and immediately getting T’d. Why is it different for her? It’s just she’s popular and they refuse to punish her, even though the stuff she pulls is no different, if not more warranting, of a technical.

Unlike CC, Reese got called for taunts and other stuff like that much more than she did. I’ll admit this year not as much as she should’ve, but the year prior she was getting T’d left and right for staring down at people, sticking her tongue out, etc.

I like a little trash talk, but if it ain’t called fairly because one player is a superstar and the other is a regular Joe, then what’s even the point of technicals? I’m not making excuses for another player with bad sportsmanship, I’m criticizing officials for not calling taunts and other behaviors fairly for all.

Last edited:

KCD

Reaction Score
Also agree. people always say the only thing that separates their games is the logo three, which is proof they don’t watch anything beyond Twitter highlights. The mid range is by far the most significant difference that separates their games. 3s may get more points but mid ranges are harder to guard, and you risk fouling doing so. The ball handling is also better on PB’s end, her handles are a lot better and she turns it over less.
I agree with both of you on offense. But on defense, PB is on a completely different level compared to CC. CC will get a block, tip, or steal once in a while because of her reach. But she gets lost frequently. But PB's defensive intuition and execution are levels above CC's. And the most impressive thing to me is how dramatically they improve throughout each year and from year to year. She had these abilities early on (7th or 8th grade - I don't remember what the earliest films of her that I saw). She continues to improve and I believe she will continue to improve in the W because of the better defense she sees there. Don't get me wrong, I think CC is a great player but I think PB is a much better overall player. I expect both of them to compete in the W for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom