How Will Notre Dame Guard Stewie? | The Boneyard

How Will Notre Dame Guard Stewie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Breanna had very big games against the Irish the last two times the teams played each other. Last year they had Kayla McBride guarding her both in the initial man-to-man defense and in the triangle - and - two that they used later in the game.

This year McBride is not an option. I haven't seen Ms. Turner play, but I can't imagine that Muffitt would trust a freshman post to chase Stewie all over the floor. Reimer doesn't seem to have the quickness or the length to get the job done. No one else on their roster seems like a plausible candidate.

So does that mean that they will rely on a 40-minute zone? Stewie should be able to get plenty of midrange and three-point shots against that if she moves around. The only thing she can't do (and I am sure she won't) is live in the low post all night.

Reaction Score
Ms Turner was on the USA team with Napheesa Collier this summer. I thought she was more impressive than Wilson. BT and Ms Collier were by far the most active.

Reaction Score
There's probably not a team in the country that can guard Stewie one on one.
I expect more of what we've already seen. Double team her and beat her up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Physically, maybe a triangle and 2 on her and Kaleena. I think Turner gets the nod. They'll be looking to get her in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
Physically, maybe a triangle and 2 on her and Kaleena. I think Turner gets the nod. They'll be looking to get her in foul trouble.
I agree...Chiney was a freshman when Stanford had her roughing up Maya all night, and this game seems no different. Also, if ND wants to win an NC, they need to see what Turner can do on Breanna...

Reaction Score
I think Stewie is ready to explode for great game Saturday.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I haven't seen Ms. Turner play, but I can't imagine that Muffitt would trust a freshman post to chase Stewie all over the floor. Reimer doesn't seem to have the quickness or the length to get the job done. No one else on their roster seems like a plausible candidate.

It will be Turner. She is very, very quick for her size. Stewart is much stronger. You mention Reimer's lack of quickness and length and you're right (at least in reference to Stewart; Reimer is pretty quick for a post, especially now that she's a little trimmer this year). Well, Turner has length and quickness in spades. I wouldn't be surprised to see some zone, too, but I expect it mostly to be Turner playing man with plenty of help.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
They cant defend Stewie they can only bang her up. ND has a big problem because Nurse and Tuck are playing really good on both sides of the ball and inside and outside. That gives UConns offense and defense balance. Who can cover UConn one on one. If Turner and or one of the guards get in foul trouble the game will be over. This is not the same ND team as we saw the past few seasons. Either is UConn but with a healthy Tuck which we didn't have last season and Nurse who is years beyond a freshman this game is UConns even with the ND home court advantage.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
pppggg said:
They won't defend her. They will mug her for forty minutes.

They can do that when UConn is on defense, when Stewie has to be in the paint to guard the Irish bigs. But when UConn is on offense, and Stewie is presumably setting up on the perimeter most of the time, it isn't so easy to body her up or hold her in plain view of the officials. And from there Stewie can just go by her defender if she is played too close.

That is why it will just play into ND's hands if Stewie spends any significant amount of time trying to post up.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Sorta depends on who are the officials.

Reaction Score
Breanna needs to set up in the low post, and they need to go to her early and often. Let's see if Turner can stay out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
ND will forge Stewie for the NC regardless of the outcome on the floor this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom