How UConn women's basketball turned around its 'biggest disappointment' in inconsistent regular season | The Boneyard

How UConn women's basketball turned around its 'biggest disappointment' in inconsistent regular season

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
"It was like a Greek play. There were pieces of everything. Shakespearean, maybe," he said. "There was the high of June. There was the low of August. There was the high of November, those wins, the Portland wins and all that. And then there was the just utter disappointment in how many people we had to keep losing and losing. So it was like every act was a different act in of itself. We had to go through all these."

Reaction Score
Great way to describe it. I’d say it seemed like a tv drama—a new problem each week that UConn had to navigate. I’m glad they’re clicking at the right time and here’s wishing for good health and prosperity to the team!

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing this article with us. So many jewels to pick from but my favorite part of the whole article was "Now, it's just being held accountable for doing what you're being coached to do. Not what you feel like doing. Not what feels right for you at the moment. So, I'm tired of the fatigue thing. I'm tired of ‘We're hurt.’ That has nothing to do with it. … It has to do with a lot of selfishness."

That was powerful. The team has gone through a lot this season and hopefully with time to practice, time to get some decent rest before the NCAA tournament, and time for the injured players to heal and get some solid treatment, the team will get that early November vibe going again.

Reaction Score
Geno said it best, that this team didn't deserve all of their woes and that for them to play and strive as hard as they did, that there must be something good for the team at the end of the season. I have been preaching that Uconn would win the BE and the NC this year. I have always believed in destiny and Uconn is destined to win the NC and it will be talked about for years to come. They will have earned it and they deserve it. GO HUSKIES!!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So who are the selfish players Geno is referring to?
I would assume the entire team, in one way or another. Every single player has had long stretches of uninspired play, especially during the streak of losses and single digit wins over below average teams.

Sometimes Geno speaks in hyperbole, or says things just for a reaction, etc. I suspect these comments were spot on - and he even went on to say the coaches had failed as well. Perhaps the "come to J e s u s" moment the team needed?

Reaction Score
There were a few games in which I thought the play was selfish at times. I won't name names, but I'm frustrated when a player insists on making a play to the basket though well covered, while one or more of her open teammates calls for the ball. I don't think it happened often, and I think the team is generally very unselfish, but those are the plays that stand out in my mind.

Reaction Score
What is the "biggest" disappointment? What is talking about?

Reaction Score
I think two things were responsible for the team turning around things for the BE tournament. One they returned to 'Uconn practices' instead of abbreviated ones to 'rest' the overly burdened starters. Nika said shortly before the turn around that they needed to do that and that is what happened. Practice is where they have always worked out any deficiencies, running it again and again until they got it right and became intuitive.

I disagree with the connotation of Geno's statement that the team was playing selfishly, I think players were trying to make something work when nothing seemed to be (when essentially left to their own devices) . They historically have been prepped in practice to make the right choices/adjustments through repetitive reinforcement. They have been prepared in practice to know how to handle various scenarios when adjustments had to be made in games, when things went off the rails. If Geno gave them in game directives that they seldom/never worked on in practice, he shouldn't have been surprised that they didn't get realized on the court, nor should he have been surprised when they didn't and that they then reverted to an approach they felt most comfortable/competent in working (rightly or wrongly). They were frustrated and resultantly exhausted so its not surprising that things spiraled somewhat. I put that more on the coaches than the players. The coaches made the call to reduce practice time and intensity, not the players.

The second factor was the return of Azzi and Caroline and thus having a ten woman roster available. Players could play more intensely and take more risks, which they did, because they knew there was a relief if needed. They didn't need to temper how they played, they were able to play at the pace and in the fashion that was their identity rather than playing the slower and more 'careful' game they had been forced into (which was way more wearing physically and, more so, mentally due to the pressure of their need to virtually play the entire games, with little or no relief).

So with the full roster and a return to regular practices I don't see where it would be so surprising that there game performance in the BE tournament significantly improved over the prior couple weeks. Its not like how they looked in the tournament was an anomaly, quite the opposite that approached what they looked like at start of the season when they last had a full roster. I expect them to continue to improve through the early games of the NCAA tournament and hopefully return to the level of play of the beginning of the season in short order. If they do, there is no-one that they cannot defeat on a given day!

Reaction Score
Geno stated quite clearly about a month ago that he wasn't going to work his depleted roster to death to win the reg season title and then have nothing left for the NCAA's. And in several games after that comment they played like they hadn't prepared very well. The bad decisions, the sloppy passes all point to a team that wasn't practicing much or else they were practicing other things.
Then Ducharme starts to take some minutes and then Fudd returns and the team energy suddenly explodes? What this may say about UConn is that the hard work mythos that is attached to UConn isn't hype. When the work level drops so does the efficiency.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom