How UConn will navigate critical offseason as it chases second straight NCAA Tournament title, dynasty status | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How UConn will navigate critical offseason as it chases second straight NCAA Tournament title, dynasty status

Reaction Score
I am mostly on your side, but Kansas had a national title and a one seed the two previous years and this year was "down" but would have fared better had they not had the injuries. So hardly all that wrong and you are calling for UConn to have a down year after a national title and a one seed in successive years.

Do you honestly think Pitino is going to miss year after year? In year one - where he couldn't properly tamper - he had a fair team that took a bit too long to gel. Taking a school from irrelevant for 30 years to great heights is going to take more portal.
They lost 5 guys in the portal.

Brought in 4 guys.

Only 1 of the 4 contributed. Remy Martin averaging 8 pts and 2 assists.

The rest of the team was comprised of Kansas recruits.

Their big class from that year though was lost later in the portal. Kansas won with home-grown players in 22, and has not fared better now that it has entered the permanent recycle of the portal washing machine

Reaction Score
Upstater is going to do his weird act again where he pretends everyone can't see his previous posts.
No one needs to pretend anything about your inability to read my previous posts. My first post says I'm in favor of bringing in 2 portal guys.

I don't want to see us become Kansas or St. John's.

Since you can only make ridiculous statements, I'm assuming you're having great difficulty understanding very simple points.

Reaction Score
No one needs to pretend anything about your inability to read my previous posts. My first post says I'm in favor of bringing in 2 portal guys.

I don't want to see us become Kansas or St. John's.

Since you can only make ridiculous statements, I'm assuming you're having great difficulty understanding very simple points.

Any post stating we should go into next year with Samson and Singare at center shouldn't be taken seriously.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
And you're going to lose players you've already invested time in. Thats dumb.
They may leave anyway. If they cannot or will not be coachable into the offense/defense regimen and culture that Hurley and staff have built they can't be anything other than a bench player and that may necessitate leaving which is OK. If you are a program like Uconn's you have to be adaptable to what Hurley is cooking. We have had quite a few recruits move on. That's ok. More room for more adaptable players. Elite level in hoops is like special forces. Not everyone can make it and not because they lack the athleticism. If you listened to that motivational speaker that is posted on this board you can see what they are expecting from players and what won't be tolerated. This program is revolutionary and if you don't think the college hoop world is starting to take notice look again.

Reaction Score
Any post stating we should go into next year with Samson and Singare at center shouldn't be taken seriously.
And what did I say?? What is it about this statement that is so difficult? "We need to bring in a big in the portal."

Reaction Score
They may leave anyway. If they cannot or will not be coachable into the offense/defense regimen and culture that Hurley and staff have built they can't be anything other than a bench player and that may necessitate leaving which is OK. If you are a program like Uconn's you have to be adaptable to what Hurley is cooking. We have had quite a few recruits move on. That's ok. More room for more adaptable players. Elite level in hoops is like special forces. Not everyone can make it and not because they lack the athleticism. If you listened to that motivational speaker that is posted on this board you can see what they are expecting from players and what won't be tolerated. This program is revolutionary and if you don't think the college hoop world is starting to take notice look again.
We'll see how it shakes out. No one knows if a school full of mercenaries will have more success than the school that mostly develops its own. What did Clingan and Karaban learn from Sanogo and Andre Jackson? These are things we can't account for. Hurley can. But I'm going to guess that if there is no baton passed from guys who developed here to guys who just arrived, then something is lost. The coaches are not the only ones who impart the culture.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We'll see how it shakes out. No one knows if a school full of mercenaries will have more success than the school that mostly develops its own. What did Clingan and Karaban learn from Sanogo and Andre Jackson? These are things we can't account for. Hurley can. But I'm going to guess that if there is no baton passed from guys who developed here to guys who just arrived, then something is lost. The coaches are not the only ones who impart the culture.
The stretch of PGs where AJ was able to teach Kemba who taught Shabazz who taught Boatright was beautiful.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I don't think it is an all or nothing situation. Recruiting is very important but so is the portal. Recruiting both five stars and also 4 year players is kind of ideal and should be strived for. Just have to be open to filling in portal guys to balance and improve where possible.

Reaction Score
The stretch of PGs where AJ was able to teach Kemba who taught Shabazz who taught Boatright was beautiful.
Can we go back even further? Marcus, from Taleik, from Ricky ???
Not sure if i have those years and overlaps right, but i think i'm close

Reaction Score
That used to be true but will modern "free agency" the three-year re-build no longer exists. Teams now re-load every year and hope for the best. There are no guarantees the players you mentioned stay at UConn, they have to be the first players to re-recruit next week.
This pretty much nails it. I would enjoy watching the 2 deep team mentioned above but the new reality is at the end of each season every thing is up in the air. You have to recruit your current team to stay and recruit transfers to replace those who go. All the of the bench players on this team have great potential so I hope they all stay.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom