How UConn will navigate critical offseason as it chases second straight NCAA Tournament title, dynasty status | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How UConn will navigate critical offseason as it chases second straight NCAA Tournament title, dynasty status

Reaction Score
I think you need to strike a balance between continuing to develop players, and setting high goals for the season. Maybe winning a NC isn't realistic every year, but the lineup you posted probably wouldn't even make the tournament. I don't think that's acceptable either. We need probably 2 transfer starters, and there's nothing wrong with that. Guys from the Calhoun era talk all the time about their fear of being recruited over. That's the game and always has been. You want the best players you can get every year.
The Calhoun era obviously doesnt compare to the transfer portal / NIL era in about 500 ways.

Reaction Score
They develop in a bench role. Our starters need to be high impact players (which they all have been for the last 2 years). We aren’t taking seasons off for the sake of developing players for 2 years from now. That’s not how the world works anymore with the transfer portal being available. It’s win now, every single season.
And youre going to lose players youve already invested time in. Thats dumb

Reaction Score
Did Karaban announce he is leaving for the NBA? I love the kid, but him going pro seems premature.
Not that I've seen. Plus, I'm surprised that you're the only one who brought him up as a possible member of next years team. I would say he returns.

Reaction Score
The Calhoun era obviously doesnt compare to the transfer portal / NIL era in about 500 ways.
Yes, but the point still stands that Calhoun was always looking/willing to recruit a freshman that may be better than or supplant a current player on the roster. That’s no different than bringing in a transfer that may be better than a current player on the roster.

I’ve seen interviews of several former Calhoun era players that said they were constantly looking over their shoulder and were worried Calhoun would recruit over them. That’s just what top programs do. Whether it’s recruiting a stud freshman, or, in this era, looking for a transfer that will improve the roster.

Reaction Score
Are they the core? Or was it Sanogo, Hawkins, Andre, Karaban, Clingan?

By my post, it should be obvious that I'm not against bringing in people in the portal. Especially to cover deficiencies in shooting / big men.

What I'm not in favor of is bringing in guys to play over Solomon or Ross or Nowell for that matter.
I think if you're not including Tristen Newton at a minimum as a core player the past 2 years you are insane

Reaction Score
I think if you're not including Tristen Newton at a minimum as a core player the past 2 years you are insane
He is obviously core.

I'm talking about the core of the team. As in %s. Cam Spencer is indispensable this year. That doesn't mean the portal guys are the thick of the team

Reaction Score
He is obviously core.

I'm talking about the core of the team. As in %s. Cam Spencer is indispensable this year. That doesn't mean the portal guys are the thick of the team
Core, thick of the team...u got any others? Of course they are a part of that.

Come on, man. Tristen and Cam are the best backcourt in the country and none of what we do works without them. Hass is the best 6th man there is.

I get what you're saying about Ball, Ross, and Nowell but if we could get another Cam and Tristen in the portal you would be insane to not want that. We're going to be a mix of recruits and portal guys like we have been the last two seasons.

Reaction Score
It's really OK not to compete for the national championship every year.

It's OK to let players like Stewart, Ball and Ross develop on the court with playing time. Sanogo, Andre Jackson and Hawkins got that chance. We don't have to load up every year.

Sure, I'd love to grab that Ohio State kid in the portal, and maybe one more big.

But this sort of lineup will be plenty entertaining for me:

Samson/Singare
Stewart/Abraham
Ball/Roumouglou
Diarra/Ross
Nowell

Add a portal player who can shoot/pass at wing/guard and a big, and you're more than fine. 8 deep with Roumouglou and Abraham fighting for playing time and going potentially 10 deep.
You do you. But next year, ima be revvin’ for seven!

Reaction Score
Core, thick of the team...u got any others? Of course they are a part of that.

Come on, man. Tristen and Cam are the best backcourt in the country and none of what we do works without them. Hass is the best 6th man there is.

I get what you're saying about Ball, Ross, and Nowell but if we could get another Cam and Tristen in the portal you would be insane to not want that. We're going to be a mix of recruits and portal guys like we have been the last two seasons.
You can't read evidently

Reaction Score
3 of our top 6 players this year are transfers, they are the core
And one of them wasn't here last year.

I don't understand why this concept is hard for you guys.

The Kansas route is the wrong route. So is the St John's route.

What UConn has been doing is the one that works.

And that's not changing your players like you change your underwear. Stick with the dragons like Hurley does.

Reaction Score
He’s not going anywhere after this year unless it’s Europe
Come on. He's been projected as early as late first round to mid 2nd round on the mock drafts I've seen. At worst he gets drafted and stashed in the G League. He's not going to Europe.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yes, but the point still stands that Calhoun was always looking/willing to recruit a freshman that may be better than or supplant a current player on the roster. That’s no different than bringing in a transfer that may be better than a current player on the roster.

I’ve seen interviews of several former Calhoun era players that said they were constantly looking over their shoulder and were worried Calhoun would recruit over them. That’s just what top programs do. Whether it’s recruiting a stud freshman, or, in this era, looking for a transfer that will improve the roster.
I don’t think bringing in freshman are the same as the portal at all.

If we were fortunate enough to bring in a really talented freshman it is what it is. Transfers aren’t always more talented than the guys they are being brought in over. Just more experienced.

For instance, what if we brought in that Nolley guy to play over Karaban in 2023? Sometimes these things aren’t necessary and we should trust the very talented players already on the roster.

Reaction Score
The Kansas route is the wrong route. So is the St John's route.

I am mostly on your side, but Kansas had a national title and a one seed the two previous years and this year was "down" but would have fared better had they not had the injuries. So hardly all that wrong and you are calling for UConn to have a down year after a national title and a one seed in successive years.

Do you honestly think Pitino is going to miss year after year? In year one - where he couldn't properly tamper - he had a fair team that took a bit too long to gel. Taking a school from irrelevant for 30 years to great heights is going to take more portal.

Reaction Score
I love the Johnell Davis talk in the article … go hard after he and McNeeley, re-recruit Ball, and find a serviceable big in the portal and we’re good to go. See how easy that is?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Amen. Im tired of hearing how were going to reload. I want to see the guys we have develop and I want to see the chemistry they're going to have when they are Juniors.
Assuming Stewart, Ball, et.al. will still be here as juniors is an assumption I wouldn't be willing to make. Right now, none of the frosh are on anyone's draft radar as sophs, but that can change, particularly in Stewart's case. As I don't want to say anything negative at this point regarding others, I'll just note that I wouldn't be surprised if one or more hit the portal this year or next.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I am mostly on your side, but Kansas had a national title and a one seed the two previous years and this year was "down" but would have fared better had they not had the injuries. So hardly all that wrong and you are calling for UConn to have a down year after a national title and a one seed in successive years.

Do you honestly think Pitino is going to miss year after year? In year one - where he couldn't properly tamper - he had a fair team that took a bit too long to gel. Taking a school from irrelevant for 30 years to great heights is going to take more portal.
4 of the top 5 players on both of those Kansas teams were home grown. One of them was even a freshman (Grady).

Reaction Score
I expect the staff to reload with top tier transfers, but to think there’s another Cam or TN out there would be wishful thinking. Those guys are uncommon.
So we did something uncommon in two consecutive tries? Maybe the staff is just that good in finding the type of player that fits in this system. Maybe for this staff it isn’t uncommon at all!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom