How UConn Beats ND | The Boneyard

How UConn Beats ND

Reaction Score
Watched the Iowa game and thought ND was as expected. The job last night was to collapse on Megan Gustafson and let the rest of the Hawkeyes beat you. Mission accomplished, though as one BY'er said elsewhere Gustafson was much the best big on the floor. The Irish are both talented and well coached. I still feel that Arike does too much free-lancing, but occasionally she remembers that there are 4 others on the court with her. Anyway, as with UConn vs DePaul, ND had everything going for it and won easily.

So: how do the Huskies go into South Bend and win a game? Actually, it's not complicated. Because the Irish have multiple weapons, I imagine Geno will have to go one-on-one against them. He'll still mix in the zone to disrupt the opponent's rhythm but man defense will be a priority. I think the Huskies have as much or more talent than the Irish, so playing them man to man is not improbable. ND will try to exploit its superior size inside, which means that rebounding for UConn will have to be a group effort. All of the Huskies are decent defenders; Collier is exceptional. But Lou has been hanging out inside quite a bit this season, Meg is a ferocious rebounder, Christyn is improving. I like our chances.

If UConn can't shoot from outside, we're in trouble. Sometimes we shoot great from the arc, sometimes no so much (think: ND last year and St. John's this year). Iowa was able to get into the key against the Irish, and I expect Lou and Meg to pay visits as well. ND's bigs are good inside but not effective away from the hoop. All 3 Irish guards love to drive. They mustn't be allowed to get around the Husky defenders.

The task is at hand. If UConn can effectively throttle ND man to man and hit its shots, we can win this. I won't be surprised if we do.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I was thinking about this in my chat with Dillon as, actually, the talent slightly favors ND due to more experience. Both benches are thin with ND's being slightly deeper than ours. Hopefully, Meg, CW and Liv all feel they want to prove something against this team and earn some credibility as Husky in a big game, much the way KLS, CD and Pheesa have in the past with the spotlight on.
Both teams will be up for the game as they are very used to each other-familiarity breeds contempt as they say.
For my own edification, here's my listing of key players:
UConn-good guys ND-need I say it?
KLS-Sr -------- Jackie Young-Jr
Pheesa-Sr ------ Bri Turner-Sr
Meg-So --------- Jessica Shepard-Sr
CW-Fr ------ Marina Mabry-Sr
CD-Jr ------- Arike=Sr
Liv-Fr ------- Abby Prohaska-Fr
Mikayla-So --------Kaitlyn Gilbert-Fr

Not that these are the matchups per se' just a like of key players.

BTW, we have been worried about our line-up next year, what about ND's?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was thinking about this in my chat with Dillon as, actually, the talent slightly favors ND due to more experience. Both benches are thin with ND's being slightly deeper than ours. Hopefully, Meg, CW and Liv all feel they want to prove something against this team and earn some credibility as Husky in a big game, much the way KLS, CD and Pheesa have in the past with the spotlight on.
Both teams will be up for the game as they are very used to each other-familiarity breeds contempt as they say.
KLS Jackie Young
Pheesa Bri Turner
Meg Jessica Shepard
CW Marina Mabry
CD Arike
Liv Prohaska
Mikayla Gilbert
In regards to the matchups, do you think KLS can contain Young? I expect MM to post Arike up a few times if CD guards her. Things are in place for Walker to have a break out game. She has a much slower defender on her. Can she contain Shepard though?

UConn has the speed be and 3 point advantage.
ND has the dribble-drive and experience advantage.

Reaction Score
I don’t think we can afford Lou or Collier to get into foul trouble. ND seems to drive out of control and throw the ball up looking for fouls. If they don’t get the call they are a great offensive rebounding team so they usually can clean it up. I think a lot of Zone (possibly matchup zone) is in store.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think UCONN's best bet is to play a collapsing zone and make the perimeter players beat you from deep. Their only standout 3pt shooter is Marina Mabrey...Arike is good but is best mid range or taking the ball to the rim, same with Young. Turn them into jump shooters, and you get long rebounds which negates Notre Dame's size advantage inside, plus you avoid foul trouble. Defensively, have Mabrey's defender hound her the full length of the court...last year she was rattled when that happened.

Offensively I'd look to exploit Mabrey off the dribble if they play any man to man, whether it be Williams or Dangerfield who she covers. If they play zone (which they likely will), players need to hit shots from deep and pound the glass.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN's best bet is to play a collapsing zone and make the perimeter players beat you from deep. Their only standout 3pt shooter is Marina Mabrey...Arike is good but is best mid range or taking the ball to the rim, same with Young. Turn them into jump shooters, and you get long rebounds which negates Notre Dame's size advantage inside, plus you avoid foul trouble. Defensively, have Mabrey's defender hound her the full length of the court...last year she was rattled when that happened.

Offensively I'd look to exploit Mabrey off the dribble if they play any man to man, whether it be Williams or Dangerfield who she covers. If they play zone (which they likely will), players need to hit shots from deep and pound the glass.
Agreed. This is the game plan Geno and comp need to use

Reaction Score
CD-Jr ------- Arike=Sr

You make an important point. No question that ND is the more experienced team but NOT the most talented. All of our starters were top 10 recruits and 3 were #1. We have 2 AA's and perhaps the best point guard in the nation. That's talent. But, of course, experience must be acquired over time. Let me just add that I think CW is on the verge of a break-out season; she's playing as if she's done this before, and she's a magician with her hands.

Reaction Score
ND has 3 starters that can hit the 3 (Young, Mabrey, and Arike). The key is to make every 3 a contested 3. Even then, ND guards are solid beyond the 3-point line. In no way are they the caliber of KLS, but they are very capable.

Reaction Score
I'll be looking not as much to our defense, but whether this year's more unpredictable, skills-centric offense can put enough points on the board against a defense that flustered the Huskies for much of the game in Columbus. I think Geno's pre-game comments are on point; the play of Megan and Christyn will be key in terms of how much can they contribute alongside the upperclassmen.

If four or five of our starters are firing on all cylinders on Sunday, Notre Dame will have a difficult time coming up with sufficient matchups to handle it all... especially if we take what the defense gives us in terms of going inside versus taking outside threes, both of which the we are highly capable of succeeding at. The Huskies have had good success with this approach so far this year, and I'm optimistic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
CD-Jr ------- Arike=Sr

You cannot put CD on Arike... Tried it last year and she posted and scored every time! You put CD on Marina and CW on Arike. If she can stay in front of her n keep her hands off Arike she can force a bad shot cause CW has height advantage.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
You cannot put CD on Arike... Tried it last year and she posted and scored every time! You put CD on Marina and CW on Arike. If she can stay in front of her n keep her hands off Arike she can force a bad shot cause CW has height advantage.
One drawback of this approach is that Arike is likely to draw a lot of fouls on Chrystyn (freshman often have that problem) and Coombs (CW's likely replacement) lacks the offensive ability of Williams.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with Bballnut90. UCONN big advantage in speed. ND doesn’t have the quickness to deal with Collier, Walker, Dangerfield. ND does have a size advantage with Turner/Shepard. UCONN has to get back on defense, ND loves to run. I think it will come down to 3pt accuracy and foul shooting.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The first concern for UConn is keeping all five of its starters on the floor. Avoiding foul trouble. To me, that suggests a lot of zone. Not the passive packed-in type that works against South Carolina, but did not work against Notre Dame in the FF, but the more active type that they played against DePaul. Need to challenge the three point shooters.

UConn will mix in some man to man defense as well. I agree UConn should hound Mabrey, she is a very good player but not really a point guard. Nine turnovers against Mississippi State.

Rebounding out of a zone is difficult, especially against big, experienced players who will be hard to keep off the boards. UConn will give up points there. UConn just has to avoid the fouls and outscore them on the other end. All of our starters have excellent shooting percentages, so there is no one that Notre Dame can ignore. We will need to shoot well, I predict a high scoring game.

If UConn can hold their own on the boards and/or force turnovers, they should be able to run. I don`t see Shepard keeping up with Collier. Should have numbers to get open shots even when the fast break is not there. Important way of negating ND`s height advantage.

Notre Dame is not that deep either. I think two of their freshman guards are out. Their starters will also play big minutes. It might come down to which team is in better shape.

I think the game will end up in the 80`s and if UConn stays out of foul trouble, I like them for a single digit win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Run ND into the ground. That is UConn's game.

Run hard at both ND's missed and made baskets

To keep the starters fresh. bring Olivia and Mikayla in early. Their strengths are speed and driving to the basket.

Do not try to draw a charge unless your legs are planted a week in advance.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Uconns quickness vs ND's height and ND's lack of a true point guard will hurt them. UConn will win this one. Stay out of foul trouble and no injuries. UConn lost last seasons NCAA game because of foul trouble. This year our quickness will be their height. UCONN 73 ND 67

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
ND has 3 starters that can hit the 3 (Young, Mabrey, and Arike). The key is to make every 3 a contested 3. Even then, ND guards are solid beyond the 3-point line. In no way are they the caliber of KLS, but they are very capable.
IMO this game will be won or lost on the glass.

If we are close to them in total Rebs and don’t allow a lot of O-boards then we have a decent shot. Without that, we don’t.

These two points are closely related. If ND rebounds well on the defensive end, they will run. While the initial goal is head to the basket (Arike, Jackie), they also send wings to the arc (most notably, Mabrey). Like UConn, the Irish gain great confidence in their transition game.

In regards to one of the other points I're read, how much of the collapsing zone have the Huskies played? That in theory, could work but it sure needs to be ironed out.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The first concern for UConn is keeping all five of its starters on the floor. Avoiding foul trouble. To me, that suggests a lot of zone. Not the passive packed-in type that works against South Carolina, but did not work against Notre Dame in the FF, but the more active type that they played against DePaul. Need to challenge the three point shooters.

UConn will mix in some man to man defense as well. I agree UConn should hound Mabrey, she is a very good player but not really a point guard. Nine turnovers against Mississippi State.

Rebounding out of a zone is difficult, especially against big, experienced players who will be hard to keep off the boards. UConn will give up points there. UConn just has to avoid the fouls and outscore them on the other end. All of our starters have excellent shooting percentages, so there is no one that Notre Dame can ignore. We will need to shoot well, I predict a high scoring game.

If UConn can hold their own on the boards and/or force turnovers, they should be able to run. I don`t see Shepard keeping up with Collier. Should have numbers to get open shots even when the fast break is not there. Important way of negating ND`s height advantage.

Notre Dame is not that deep either. I think two of their freshman guards are out. Their starters will also play big minutes. It might come down to which team is in better shape.

I think the game will end up in the 80`s and if UConn stays out of foul trouble, I like them for a single digit win.

Good analysis.

- If the Irish go man, I think you'll primarily see Brianna Turner on Collier. While perhaps not as quick as Collier, Bri is an exceptional athlete who has recovered well from her ACL (it's been nearly 18 months).

- UConn is quick. However, as a guy who still tries to play every Sunday morning, I know the effort it takes to pound on the glass every play. It takes effort and drains the legs. Yes, these are young 'uns, but the effort of keeping Turner, Shepard, Patterson and, in particular, Young off the boards will sap some of that get up and go in the second half.

- Both teams will have short benches. Would've loved to have frosh Jordan Nixon available to free up Mabrey for wing (read, shoot) duty, but so be it. UConn folks will get to see a bit of Patterson and our energetic Irish frosh, Abby Prohaska (one of those not-highly rated guards that fits a system to a tee).

- Think it will be high scoring, as well: that's what these teams do. Should be fun (maybe not in the moment for fans).

Reaction Score
Run ND into the ground. That is UConn's game.

Run hard at both ND's missed and made baskets

To keep the starters fresh. bring Olivia and Mikayla in early. Their strengths are speed and driving to the basket.

Do not try to draw a charge unless your legs are planted a week in advance.
I agree. You guys have to win the transition game. You have to have constant pressure on defense. UCONN can not out physical ND. I think Geno has to design a near perfect game plan and the players have to execute that plan. Too many things to go wrong and ND is at home. Will be tough, good luck, I have no love for ND and would love an upset!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom