How truly evil it would be..... | The Boneyard

How truly evil it would be.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think UCONN is a lock for the final four. However, once there... there is a good chance Baylor and ND will be there. Lets say history plays out and it is ND and Baylor in the final... how sweet would it be to have Baylor win another title.... Kim Mulkey's third while Muffet sits there with one... and knows for a fact she was the runner up yet again... This would be the third year in a row she would be a runner up. It could work against ND when it comes to recruiting...

"Sign with Muffet and be a runner up. She can take you to the dance, but can't take you to the promised land"

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
01Neaggrad02, are you familiar with the term schadenfreude?

And personally, I would rather a team make the finals and possibly lose than bow out earlier so they wouldn't face the humiliation of losing in the finals. That is not the mindest of a competitive athlete. No guts, no glory.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame has already had a better season than most of us imagined possible. One would imagine that Fighting Irish Nation would glean tremendous pride of accomplishment finishing the season as national runners up. It seems that Notre Dame has benefitted from a perfect storm of success:
1. Skylar Diggins' leadership
2. Natalie Achonwa has played quite effectively
3. As has Ariel Braker and Markisha Wright
4. Kayla McBride is a likely All American, and has played lights out against UConn. Who saw that coming?
5. Jewel Lloyd is the Big East Freshman of the Year. Who saw that coming?

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
My heart and head have a difference of opinion when it comes to the Huskies chances. I almost hate to say this, but given the back court challenges they have, I think I would be satisfied if they knock out TN in the great eight. Just for the deliciousness of it and to put an official nail in the rivalry. Yes, the Huskies could win the NC this year but that sentiment is based on faith not facts (not that there is anything wrong with that). Those last few ND games were soul crushing especially the last one. Don't want to shy away from them again but one more to close the book with the orange would make a nice appetizer. IMHO.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN is a lock for the final four. However, once there... there is a good chance Baylor and ND will be there. Lets say history plays out and it is ND and Baylor in the final... how sweet would it be to have Baylor win another title.... Kim Mulkey's third while Muffet sits there with one... and knows for a fact she was the runner up yet again... This would be the third year in a row she would be a runner up. It could work against ND when it comes to recruiting...

"Sign with Muffet and be a runner up. She can take you to the dance, but can't take you to the promised land"

It is more likely to work for them. Imagine pitching to a recruit that she could be the difference between being a runner up or a national champion. That would be quite appealing to a competitor.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Notre Dame has already had a better season than most of us imagined possible. One would imagine that Fighting Irish Nation would glean tremendous pride of accomplishment finishing the season as national runners up. It seems that Notre Dame has benefitted from a perfect storm of success:
1. Skylar Diggins' leadership.....Given
2. Natalie Achonwa has played quite effectively.....International Experience at the Olympic level
3. As has Ariel Braker and Markisha Wright
4. Kayla McBride is a likely All American, and has played lights out against UConn. Who saw that coming?
She was pretty hot, last year, showed distinct signs
5. Jewel Lloyd is the Big East Freshman of the Year. Who saw that coming?
.....Muffet

I didn't count them out this year, don't make the same mistake for next.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ND's record is far better than I expected. McBride is tough and perhaps their best player. Skylar gives them loads of swag. Achonwa is solid. Braker is better than I thought. Loyd has learned quickly as a frosh. And Muppet is a very good coach. I thought they would be vulnerable to size and zone defenses and would have 5-6 losses at this time of year. Congrats to them, but et's make sure they finish with 2 losses.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
ND's record is far better than I expected. McBride is tough and perhaps their best player. Skylar gives them loads of swag. Achonwa is solid. Braker is better than I thought. Loyd has learned quickly as a frosh. And Muppet is a very good coach. I thought they would be vulnerable to size and zone defenses and would have 5-6 losses at this time of year. Congrats to them, but et's make sure they finish with 2 losses.
Notre Dame fans are also surprised, but pleasantly so. We knew the 2 returning starters would be excellent, but the new starters were all question marks of one kind or another. Achonwa had decent minutes last year, but I expected her play to be a level below Peters, and I did not expect Wright to be as good as she has been filling Achonwa's role from last year. Braker has been a complete surprise! She was getting splinters at the far end of the bench her first two seasons and didn't play well when she did play. But she has been very solid and an amazing defender for someone who was not in the top 100 of any scouting service. Loyd has been great. You get the feeling she would do more if Notre Dame needed her, but she's deferring to the upperclassmen, much like McBride last season. But her defense has been amazing for a freshman and she has rewarded Muffet for trusting her and starting her.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Kim Mulkey's third while Muffet sits there with one... and knows for a fact she was the runner up yet again... This would be the third year in a row she would be a runner up. It could work against ND when it comes to recruiting...

Except Muffet has already won a title. Better yet, she lost three seniors/starters (two WNBA lottery picks) from last year and arguably has a better team this year.

Tara VanDerveer and Stanford have made five straight Final Four appearances...with zero titles and only one appearance in the championship game (she has two titles from the early 1990s). It has not Stanford in recruiting, nor has it hurt Stanford in terms of replicating success by demonstrating continued excellence.

I hate to say this, but your "phrase" that you are applying to Muffett would actually be more appropriate for someone like Gail Goestenkors.

Reaction Score

Truly evil would be...UConn beats Baylor in the National Semifinal and loses to ND in the Final. I think UConn is the only team that can beat Baylor. I know we can't beat ND in a close game.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Truly evil would be...UConn beats Baylor in the National Semifinal and loses to ND in the Final. I think UConn is the only team that can beat Baylor. I know we can't beat ND in a close game.

They they will have to beat them in a blowout.

You fit my signature line.

Reaction Score

I'd like to beat them, but if not, let them beat Baylor. They deserve it. We have no reason to hate them. They are a class organization.
ND has great balance; Baylor without BG would just be an "also ran".

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If the championship game is between Baylor and ND, I'll be rooting for ND. I don't understand how McGraw has suddenly become the Queen of the evil empire here. She was a BY favorite for years when her teams were UConn pinata's but now that she has turned the tables, if only for a ear or two, she's suddenly a dirtbag.

She has done a magnificent job of coaching this year. Compare what she has done to Mulkey (who (whom?) I like BTW) who's only coaching challenge has been to find shoes to fit Griner.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If the championship game is between Baylor and ND, I'll be rooting for ND. I don't understand how McGraw has suddenly become the Queen of the evil empire here. She was a BY favorite for years when her teams were UConn pinata's but now that she has turned the tables, if only for a ear or two, she's suddenly a dirtbag.

She has done a magnificent job of coaching this year. Compare what she has done to Mulkey (who (whom?) I like BTW) who's only coaching challenge has been to find shoes to fit Griner.
Absolutely agree. Muffet is a terrific coach and and even better person. Her only "sin" is in recruiting a great guard and coaching up the supporting cast.

Mulkey's job is probably tougher than it appears, like Geno's with Diana. One person can't win a game so each player needs to learn her role and be coached in the right way of supporting the superstar. Not that Baylor is a one-woman team, either, but the other players need to be coached into knowing when to defer to Griner and when to take over. Not such a simple job after all.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I agree with everything you said except for how McGraw is treated on this board.

Your statement labels the board as a group of posters that think McGraw is a dirt bag. When in reality, based on the comments I have read, most posters still like and respect her. I have seen a few posts that you are commenting on, but you used a broad brush and I don't think that's fair.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I agree with everything you said except for how McGraw is treated on this board.

Your statement labels the board as a group of posters that think McGraw is a dirt bag. When in reality, based on the comments I have read, most posters still like and respect her. I have seen a few posts that you are commenting on, but you used a broad brush and I don't think that's fair.

I agree. Saying this board thinks McGraw is a "dirtbag" is ridiculous.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

No. My response was primarily to the OP. However, in the interest of balance I'll submit that the OP is not the only BY member that has dumped on McGraw this season. I will admit that had I said "dirtbag to some" it would have made my intent clearer.

BTW - that labeling by group is a two way street. It happens here all the time. Some troll or two will drop by to opine that so and so sucks and suddenly we get threads about horrible fans and haters.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
No. My response was primarily to the OP. However, in the interest of balance I'll submit that the OP is not the only BY member that has dumped on McGraw this season. I will admit that had I said "dirtbag to some" it would have made my intent clearer.

BTW - that labeling by group is a two way street. It happens here all the time. Some troll or two will drop by to opine that so and so sucks and suddenly we get threads about horrible fans and haters.

And that is wrong too. I would submit that the mods delete many posts that add to that count.

To me, there was no indication that you were talking to the OP only in any of that response. I will, of course, believe that was your intent to respond to the OP only.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If people feel a strong need to bicker with another poster, they should contact that poster via PM to spare the board yet another back and forth pissing match.

Reaction Score
I don't have any problem what so ever with Muffet, but I do have a major problem with their fan base and that is why I will never root for Notre Dame should they face Baylor. Five or ten years ago you might have found one or two ND Fans that posted on message boards. Now there like bees on honey. My hope is that UCONN crushes the Irish in the final four, hopefully in the championship game.

Reaction Score
If you want to really be evil, you could always steal her tuffet, or poison her curds and whey. Now . . where can I buy a big spider?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I don't have any problem what so ever with Muffet, but I do have a major problem with their fan base and that is why I will never root for Notre Dame should they face Baylor. Five or ten years ago you might have found one or two ND Fans that posted on message boards. Now there like bees on honey. My hope is that UCONN crushes the Irish in the final four, hopefully in the championship game.

IMO That's a good thing. Credit to McGraw and her players for being successful enough to attract more fans to the game.

I don't read the ND message boards but until they call Auriemma a liar and a cheat because he's an Eyetalian Catholic I'll give them a pass.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
IMO That's a good thing. Credit to McGraw and her players for being successful enough to attract more fans to the game.

I don't read the ND message boards but until they call Auriemma a liar and a cheat because he's an Eyetalian Catholic I'll give them a pass.
Geno's an Eyetalian? Only two kinds of people come from Eyetaly: Liars and Friars. And I don't see no robes on Geno! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom