How The Transfer Portal Actually Works. | The Boneyard

How The Transfer Portal Actually Works.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this. I have been wondering about the process for some time. A quick read left me the questions: 1) my biases aside, I'd like to comments from D1 schools commentators then D3. After all, isn't it the D1 schools/athletes who are mainly the issues, 2) it says that the student athletes initiate the process, but it is possible that a coach pressed for a scholarship might bring up the option while telling the student that his/her minutes will be drastically reduced; 3) it says that the students can opt out, but is there a deadline. How would it work for student A to say I want out-- maybe to Duke .... and in 6 weeks say I changed my mind.

Reaction Score
The article indicates that a waiver is still required for the transferring athlete to participate immediately. That is not consistent with what I have read that student-athletes using the portal are eligible to play immediately. Can some one supply some clarification?

Reaction Score
The article indicates that a waiver is still required for the transferring athlete to participate immediately. That is not consistent with what I have read that student-athletes using the portal are eligible to play immediately. Can some one supply some clarification?
They haven’t updated it yet?

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this. I have been wondering about the process for some time. A quick read left me the questions: 1) my biases aside, I'd like to comments from D1 schools commentators then D3. After all, isn't it the D1 schools/athletes who are mainly the issues, 2) it says that the student athletes initiate the process, but it is possible that a coach pressed for a scholarship might bring up the option while telling the student that his/her minutes will be drastically reduced; 3) it says that the students can opt out, but is there a deadline. How would it work for student A to say I want out-- maybe to Duke .... and in 6 weeks say I changed my mind.
Herbert-Harrigan from SC entered the portal before her senior year and then withdrew.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
A few things, 1st, this was initially posted in 2018-19 and now the other sports do not have to seek a waiver (CFB, MCBB, WCBB & others).
2nd-the article said, once the student enters the portal, the departing school does not have to honor any aid (scholarship) after that semester ends. So yes, the student could change his mind but money for the next season might not be there.
3rd-Deadlines seem to be fluid on how good the player is, how many players are already on the roster and the relationship with the coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom