How the Phoenix Mercury might RUIN the WNBA 2024 Draft! | The Boneyard

How the Phoenix Mercury might RUIN the WNBA 2024 Draft!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is old info, before the Phoenix coach got fired. But there may be some kernels of truth there.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This must have been recorded weeks ago. Blue is now the coach, not Nygaard, and I don't see how Diggins ever plays again for Phx.
It was. Nikki Blue, an assistant coach is now the interim coach.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This is old info, before the Phoenix coach got fired. But there may be some kernels of truth there.
As of today (Wednesday, August 23) Phoenix is still in the cellar with the worst record (9-23/2-10 when this video was shot in the league and "is guaranteed" to be in the WNBA draft lottery this year. That's new and current info. Do we know if the chemistry between the players that was an issue when this video was shot about 6 weeks ago has changed since then? I doubt it has. If it hasn't, then this info is not old, it's current. The only thing that we know for sure has changed is the head coach was fired.

Are the issues mentioned in this video still prevalent today? That's the only question. Who will the new head coach be? Will Blue have the interim tag removed, or will the Mercury bring a new coach?

Will any of the players mentioned choose to stay an extra year and use their COVID year if they are projected to go to Phoenix, or will they throw caution to the wind and go there anyway? What if anything has changed in Phoenix since this video was made?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’d rather have Paige playing for the Mercury, than the Fever sooo…
Shrugs What GIF by ABC Network

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
the mercury? this guy has these potential draftees playing for the suns

Carnac

Reaction Score
Hayven, I respect your take on this, but what does Paige think about this? She's the one who will have to deal with the dynamics of this team, its coaches, and the ownership should she wind up there.

Reaction Score
Hayven, I respect your take on this, but what does Paige think about this? She's the one who will have to deal with the dynamics of this team, its coaches, and the ownership should she wind up there.
Phoenix has been a winning franchise for a decade lol Why in the world would she ever prefer the Fever. Seeing Paige play with DT during her final season would be a storybook scenario for most UConn fans.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Phoenix has been a winning franchise for a decade lol Why in the world would she ever prefer the Fever. Seeing Paige play with DT during her final season would be a storybook scenario for most UConn fans.
What about the discord between the players that is being reported in this video? Cause for concern, or fake news? :eek: I don't know the answer. I'm just playing the Devil's advocate. I'd like for someone that's a fan of the Mercury, or who's close to the team to weigh in. KnightBridgeAZ, where are you? :eek:

Reaction Score
What about the discord between the players that is being reported in this video? Cause for concern, or fake news? :eek: I don't know the answer. I'm just playing the Devil's advocate. I'd like for someone that's a fan of the Mercury, or who's close to the team to weigh in. KnightBridgeAZ, where are you? :eek:
I'm a fan of the Mercury and have been to multiple Mercury games. The players all seem to get along despite a very bad season this year. Definitely a spicier franchise to go to but I wouldn't be worried about Paige going there, especially since she already has a relationship with DT. No franchise is perfect and the Mercury are ones that actually seem to invest in their team.

Franchise I wouldn't want to see Paige, or any UConn player, go to: Chicago, Indiana, and maybe The Sparks

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm a fan of the Mercury and have been to multiple Mercury games. The players all seem to get along despite a very bad season this year. Definitely a spicier franchise to go to but I wouldn't be worried about Paige going there, especially since she already has a relationship with DT. No franchise is perfect and the Mercury are ones that actually seem to invest in their team.

Franchise I wouldn't want to see Paige, or any UConn player, go to: Chicago, Indiana, and maybe The Sparks
Thanks Hoops for weighing in. I completely agree with your last sentence.

Reaction Score
The Fever have their future franchise player in the soon to be rookie of the year. The UConn fan in me still has that bridge burned

Reaction Score
As of today (Wednesday, August 23) Phoenix is still in the cellar with the worst record (9-23/2-10 when this video was shot in the league and "is guaranteed" to be in the WNBA draft lottery this year. That's new and current info. Do we know if the chemistry between the players that was an issue when this video was shot about 6 weeks ago has changed since then? I doubt it has. If it hasn't, then this info is not old, it's current. The only thing that we know for sure has changed is the head coach was fired.

Are the issues mentioned in this video still prevalent today? That's the only question. Who will the new head coach be? Will Blue have the interim tag removed, or will the Mercury bring a new coach?

Will any of the players mentioned choose to stay an extra year and use their COVID year if they are projected to go to Phoenix, or will they throw caution to the wind and go there anyway? What if anything has changed in Phoenix since this video was made?
Financially, Paige has some but less reasons to jump to the W. She is one of 2 (possibly others) top in NIL. Personally, I believe Paige has a lot to prove to the College world of Basketball. My high dollar (that means one dollar) bet is Paige shall stay as long as Geno wants. There is more here than just Basketball or MONEY.

Reaction Score
How can a team with DT and Griner finish last in the league??

When the Mercury drafted Griner I thought that with her & DT Phoenix would dominate the league but that hasn't been the case. They've won just 1 title together IIRC. Something hasn't been right there for awhile IMHO, I don't know if it's ownership, staff, players or a mix of the 3.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This year is perhaps the most unique year--the freshmen players who were granted an extra year due to Covid are now seniors. So ALL of them (other than Ivy Leaguers, who can change teams) have the option of leaving or staying. In addition, there are players like Azzi and Cameron Brink who can leave "early" based on age. Then there are players like Paige and Aubrey, who missed an entire season due to injury, and can request to have that year given back. Trying to figure out who is leaving and who is staying is especially challenging this year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The Fever have their future franchise player in the soon to be rookie of the year. The UConn fan in me still has that bridge burned
I completely understand. I was devastated when Boston committed to SC. :confused:

Reaction Score
This year is perhaps the most unique year--the freshmen players who were granted an extra year due to Covid are now seniors. So ALL of them (other than Ivy Leaguers, who can change teams) have the option of leaving or staying. In addition, there are players like Azzi and Cameron Brink who can leave "early" based on age. Then there are players like Paige and Aubrey, who missed an entire season due to injury, and can request to have that year given back. Trying to figure out who is leaving and who is staying is especially challenging this year.

I thought brink came in with Paige? She won a ring her freshman year.

Reaction Score
I think the position taken in that video is way way overblown. Phoenix has been one of the more successful franchises over their history even if they have some current problems. Regarding potential clashes with players, Diana is nearing the end, Skylar probably won't be back under any circumstances, and Cunningham might be a strong personality but by WNBA standards is a role player that shouldn't impact the prospects for players like Caitlin or Paige.

In addition the W uses the last two years record to determine lottery odds not just this season. IMO the only franchise that should be avoided is Indiana. If Minnesota got a chance at Paige maybe that would make a difference, perhaps Chicago for Caitlin, or LA or Seattle for Cameron, but for the most part I think it is unlikely to be a major factor in these players decisions.

Many show a geographic preference, or a preferred contender pursuing a ring later, after their rookie contract expires, and it is true because of the extra Covid year and NIL income opportunities, they have far more leverage than they used to, but I don't think it is nearly the factor the video suggests.

Actually I thought the more likely scenario for waiting a year because you don't like your potential landing spot was last year with Boston. She potentially could have told Indiana I will wait a year rather than play for you, so you should trade the pick. Someday we might see something like that happen, who knows, but there are probably quite a few franchises players would hate to wind up with before you get to Phoenix.

Reaction Score
Phoenix has been one of the more successful franchises over their history even if they have some current problems. Someday we might see something like that happen, who knows, but there are probably quite a few franchises players would hate to wind up with before you get to Phoenix.
Historically up until 2017 the Mercury were a model franchise. But to quote Don McLean that was a long long time ago

" quite a few". ... Worse franchises? Hard to believe..... Trying to think of one worse than Phoenix

The dumpster fire is a result of poor management. I'd be hard-pressed think of a franchise less desirable than have Phoenix for the following reasons and more importantly due to dim prospects for any improvement.

1. DT in 2024... It's indeed possible that the league leader in turnovers, perennial leader in technical fouls, fiery shell of herself will lead to a worse season record next year.

2. Uncertainty. Who will be the coach? Will BG play? (By that how many mental health days will she need next year, how many times will she be in safety and protocol? And let's not forget she's getting one year older). Does anyone in their right mind believe that Nick U'Ren who appears to be a good hire is going to be around for the long term? I give him 3 years max in Phoenix before he gets an NBA offer. By the way the new GM's boss..... Yep Jim Pittman (the old boss) who was the architect of the current dumpster fire. While I would not put Jim Pittman in the Larry Scott level of ineptitude the last six years of his leadership were anything but stellar. I continually hear reverberating in my head Nygaard, Nygaard, Nygaard........clowns rule, clowns rule, clowns rule.

3. Cesspool, I mean locker room. I really get the sense that the Indiana players kind of like each other. While elite athletes have conflicts I think or at least my impression is Indiana resolves those differences in a constructive way. Now let's see the legacy of conflict in Phoenix.......lol. We all remember the camera close up of DT and Skyler ready to go at it on the bench. You want to relieve that moment so just click here. While she shouldn't have done it Skylar was right when she posted on the interweb that her coach was a clown.

4. Money. These are after all going to be professional athletes, the end game is to maximize their income. Not a lot of money left to go around after we feed the goat, finance BG, pay Sophie......

5. How well does a rookie Caitlin or a rookie Paige or a rookie Brink market themselves in the valley of the Sun? I know I know it's all online. But is it? Also let's think about livability as Phoenix concludes a summer in which the average temperature in July was 90, a record for 110° days was shattered (113 projected for next Wednesday), and while ASU is a party school I'm not sure the nightlife is approachable to that what you might find on either coast, Texas, Atlanta, well maybe anywhere but Indiana.

6. Also very importantly how does the franchise develop its players. Aside from a real rarity like Boston even number ones need a little TLC and development. And I wonder how much development a player gets in the merry-go-round that will be the Phoenix lineup next year. DT in and out, BG in and out, Turner languishing for 2 months then getting to start again.... Obviously Paige would love to work with Cheryl Reeves, to the extent that Caitlin is Showtime she probably will love Kurt Miller on the West Coast but perhaps I've just been completely warped by the heat and the flames emanating from the locker room in Footprint arena.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Historically up until 2017 the Mercury were a model franchise. But to quote Don McLean that was a long long time ago

" quite a few". ... Worse franchises? Hard to believe..... Trying to think of one worse than Phoenix

The dumpster fire is a result of poor management. I'd be hard-pressed think of a franchise less desirable than have Phoenix for the following reasons and more importantly due to dim prospects for any improvement.

1. DT in 2024... It's indeed possible that the league leader in turnovers, perennial leader in technical fouls, fiery shell of herself will lead to a worse season record next year.

2. Uncertainty. Who will be the coach? Will BG play? (By that how many mental health days will she need next year, how many times will she be in safety and protocol? And let's not forget she's getting one year older). Does anyone in their right mind believe that Nick U'Ren who appears to be a good hire is going to be around for the long term? I give him 3 years max in Phoenix before he gets an NBA offer. By the way the new GM's boss..... Yep Jim Pittman (the old boss) who was the architect of the current dumpster fire. While I would not put Jim Pittman in the Larry Scott level of ineptitude the last six years of his leadership were anything but stellar. I continually hear reverberating in my head Nygaard, Nygaard, Nygaard........clowns rule, clowns rule, clowns rule.

3. Cesspool, I mean locker room. I really get the sense that the Indiana players kind of like each other. While elite athletes have conflicts I think or at least my impression is Indiana resolves those differences in a constructive way. Now let's see the legacy of conflict in Phoenix.......lol. We all remember the camera close up of DT and Skyler ready to go at it on the bench. You want to relieve that moment so just click here. While she shouldn't have done it Skylar was right when she posted on the interweb that her coach was a clown.

4. Money. These are after all going to be professional athletes, the end game is to maximize their income. Not a lot of money left to go around after we feed the goat, finance BG, pay Sophie......

5. How well does a rookie Caitlin or a rookie Paige or a rookie Brink market themselves in the valley of the Sun? I know I know it's all online. But is it? Also let's think about livability as Phoenix concludes a summer in which the average temperature in July was 90, a record for 110° days was shattered (113 projected for next Wednesday), and while ASU is a party school I'm not sure the nightlife is approachable to that what you might find on either coast, Texas, Atlanta, well maybe anywhere but Indiana.

6. Also very importantly how does the franchise develop its players. Aside from a real rarity like Boston even number ones need a little TLC and development. And I wonder how much development a player gets in the merry-go-round that will be the Phoenix lineup next year. DT in and out, BG in and out, Turner languishing for 2 months then getting to start again.... Obviously Paige would love to work with Cheryl Reeves, to the extent that Caitlin is Showtime she probably will love Kurt Miller on the West Coast but perhaps I've just been completely warped by the heat and the flames emanating from the locker room in Footprint arena.
Thanks azfan. A very well-written comprehensive and insightful post from someone close to the team. You mentioned a lot of areas of concern. Things (internal issues) that those of us who are not fans or followers of the team would know. I’m certainly more informed about what’s going on in Phoenix after reading your post. You paint a very bleak picture. As Colin Cowherd likes to say… this has all the earmarks of a dumpster fire.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Well, if the Fever draft Paige she will get to play with Boston. They are slowly getting a lot of good young players but they need the right coach to get them together.

Reaction Score
Paige isn’t leaving. She wants multiple titles and she makes plenty of $$ staying in school with her NIL deals. She will end up making even more if she ends up winning another NPOTY award. If she stays healthy there is no other player in the nation that is better. Caitlin will be gone, brink will be gone , VanLith will be gone to. No way Paige is leaving. I think she will end up staying the next 2 years!! Redshirt and Covid!! WNBA pays horrible and now when u go over seas anything can happen. Just ask Brittney Griner. These kids make so much money staying in school. Stay get a masters degree and make a lot of $$ in the process!! Basketball isn’t a guarantee.. A degree will last forever. Look at Angel Reese she is now a millionaire for winning a national title. She said in a article she no longer takes classes in person only on line due to her fame at LSU which in my opinion is a little ridiculous..And seems to me a little fishy. Every other top athlete goes to classes….not sure what makes her any different. NCAA allows that?? I’m sure She doesn’t care, she is laughing all the way to the bank!! Will all this fame go to her head and come back to haunt her and LSU with major team conflict .. time will tell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom