How South Carolina lost at end of 2nd & 3rd periods... | The Boneyard

How South Carolina lost at end of 2nd & 3rd periods...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Collier vs SC 3.jpeg

Consider two of the most critical moments in the game last night, when South Carolina doomed themselves to defeat against UConn. Lack of conditioning? Nerves? Bad luck? Or is UConn just built for these moments, in big games... ;)

1. With 1:23 left to play in the 2nd period, South Carolina led 29-28 and had the ball. Gray turned the ball over and SC left Napheesa unguarded at the 3 point arc. Her basket put UConn back up 31-29. In their next two possessions, South Carolina committed a turnover by Coates and a turnover by Cuevas-Moore. The last one, with 11 seconds left in the half, results in Collier's layup, a 35-29 UConn lead and big time momentum.

Three possessions, three turnovers in less than a minute and a half. UConn scores the last 7 points and leads by 6. I guess conditioning is important. :rolleyes:

2. In the 3rd period, with 1:10 left to play, the score was 46-39 UConn. South Carolina had the ball and desperately needed to score. In the next 70 seconds, they missed 3 shots (Gray, Davis and Harris) and 2 free throws (Gray). Collier, once again, scored 5 points in the last 39 seconds to leave the Huskies up by 12 points, 51-39.

Four possessions, 0 points in a minute and 10 seconds. Game over... :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
An excellent observation David. When talk about "ALL-AMERICAN" candidates begins, I always stump for Napheesa Collier to be added to the conversation. Why? She shows up for every game. She works as hard as anyone else in D-1. She's money in the bank if you can get her the ball in the paint. She seldom misses layups, She makes her free throws. She can shoot the 3 (she do so last night when they were really needed). She's ALWAYS under the boards fighting for rebounds with a no fear approach, and best of all, she doesn't get hurt. She's playing as well as any of the other AA candidates. Collier's play last night was crucial. Coaches will always tell you the best "ability" any player can have is AVAILIBILITY. She has it!!!

Carnac sez.................Katie Lou Samuelson, Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier for All-American. :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
An excellent observation David. When talk about "ALL-AMERICAN" candidates begins, I always stump for Napheesa Collier to be added to the conversation. Why? She shows up for every game. She works as hard as anyone else in D-1. She's money in the bank if you can get her the ball in the paint. She seldom misses layups, She makes her free throws. She can shoot the 3 (she do so last night when they were really needed). She's ALWAYS under the boards fighting for rebounds with a no fear approach, and best of all, she doesn't get hurt. She's playing as well as any of the other AA candidates. Collier's play last night was crucial. Coaches will always tell you the best "ability" any player can have is AVAILIBILITY. She has it!!!

Carnac sez.....Katie Lou Samuelson, Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier for All-American. :cool:
I'm thinking Williams probably cemented herself on the Huskies Wall of Honor last night. When you do that on national TV, people remember. (people as in voters)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
That's what I notice about Napheesa -- grace under pressure. The game-critical block against Shakayla Thomas at the end of the Florida State game was the first of many examples of that this season. In the next game, she came back in with 4 fouls and immediately a 16-2 UConn run started, that she clearly had a lot to do with.

It's rare to see so much competitiveness combined with so much control -- she plays with urgency but is loose at the same time. Very difficult to do.

Reaction Score
View attachment 19761

Consider two of the most critical moments in the game last night, when South Carolina doomed themselves to defeat against UConn. Lack of conditioning? Nerves? Bad luck? Or is UConn just built for these moments, in big games.. ;)

1. With 1:23 left to play in the 2nd period, South Carolina led 29-28 and had the ball. Gray turned the ball over and SC left Napheesa unguarded at the 3 point arc. Her basket put UConn back up 31-29. In their next two possessions, South Carolina committed a turnover by Coates and a turnover by Cuevas-Moore. The last one, with 11 seconds left in the half, results in Collier's layup, a 35-29 UConn lead and big time momentum.

Three possessions, three turnovers in less than a minute and a half. UConn scores the last 7 points and leads by 6. I guess conditioning is important. :rolleyes:

2. In the 3rd period, with 1:10 left to play, the score was 46-39 UConn. South Carolina had the ball and desperately needed to score. In the next 70 seconds, they missed 3 shots (Gray, Davis and Harris) and 2 free throws (Gray). Collier, once again, scored 5 points in the last 39 seconds to leave the Huskies up by 12 points, 51-39.

Four possessions, 0 points in a minute and 10 seconds. Game over.. :cool:
\

USC's guard C-Moore has always been a liability for USC--Moriah did a job on her and apparently so did this team of Uconn.
I'm not a fan of the Conditioning aspect of Uconn Win, although obviously it is a factor in how long UC kids played and how hard\they played--Really big players, even in conditioning, use more calories /energy -more to move around.
Forgive me for not fully on board with your posting---I'll probably fail your next test--I would suggest that Uconn's defense was something beyond the ordinary.
In the final minutes --this comes from Coach preparations--kids, when behind, can't borrow or steal a basket--because they now think and try too hard--smart ones just go with the flow --and the score. DT was one who was rarely, if ever , rattled--and scored in tight circumstances. Top level kids minds are blown in tight need to score situations. Obviously--David--this is my less than humble opinion and it is worth about 99. 99 dollars less than a Geno 100 bucks.

Reaction Score
I think that the all Americans who showed up to play last night were Gabby and Collier. I do hope that they be given the credit that they deserve and the BS is left out of the decision. I did not see any All Americans on South Carolina. They were defused. Good case for Husky nominees above.

Reaction Score
View attachment 19761

Consider two of the most critical moments in the game last night, when South Carolina doomed themselves to defeat against UConn. Lack of conditioning? Nerves? Bad luck? Or is UConn just built for these moments, in big games.. ;)

View attachment 19761

Saw quite a bit of talent on SC but for past few years, many of the same players faded in 2nd half. Coates especially has special skills but does not appear to have the conditioning to perform for a full game. As good as they are, SC bigs likely to see limited playing time if they played for Geno.

Reaction Score
That's what I notice about Napheesa -- grace under pressure. The game-critical block against Shakayla Thomas at the end of the Florida State game was the first of many examples of that this season. In the next game, she came back in with 4 fouls and immediately a 16-2 UConn run started, that she clearly had a lot to do with.

It's rare to see so much competitiveness combined with so much control -- she plays with urgency but is loose at the same time. Very difficult to do.
She is a quiet intense player--talent, dedication, determination, cuteness and sophisticated beauty --what a package. This game--proved that Uconn is a multidimensional team.. With Kia sitting a lot, and KLS not scoring a lot, Chong, Napheeesa and Gabby carried the day. Now the non scoring distraction that KLS provided helped the team. Chong was her ever steady Eddie self --quietly doing the things this team needed her to do. The plus was Danger--she didn't score and missed a couple of passes--but a number of passes were perfect--she distracted the defense to allow Gabby or Napheesa to slide under the hoop and get a perfect pass--her game activity was probaly overlooked. Butler--I've never seen her so tough and determined--her minutes however short were ultimately needed
I think Uconn will end with 2 AA's ---Napheesa and Gabby or Napheesa and Lou--all three deserve it.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Carnac sez.....Katie Lou Samuelson, Gabby Williams and Napheesa Collier for All-American. :cool:
No, No, No No. You can't include Samuelson. She had one, one I say, unproductive game! No way she is an All-American.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom