How safe is UConn’s conference dominance? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How safe is UConn’s conference dominance?

Reaction Score
A lot of this is semantics, but I certainly wouldn't say we “dominated” the Big East last year. We had a rough and ragged February where we lost to Marquette and St. John's and won several close games, including against Georgetown and (gulp) Xavier. We won the regular season by a mere one game.

To me the more apt question isn't “is our dominance safe?” but rather “can we re-establish our dominance?”
They were not "dominant" last year in the Big East. And this year's team has among the lowest floors. This is the year they can get picked off from wnning the reg. season but that's doubtful; if just one of the team's in the Big East is better than the rest then expect a dogfight with UCONN coming out on top but not in a dominating way. ; if no title-worthy opponent happens and UCONN wins convincingly - then-- great. However they are probably going to have some games where we say "they aren't very good . . . " The questions isn't as much as the opponent, but the fact that UCONN isn't as strong which means some "ugly" performance games more-than-likely (of which they can win ofc but still "ugly.)".

On the flipside UCONN doesn't need to be dominant to win the Big East but then a few years from now if one were to look back and see how UCONN won so many reg, season titles the comment would be "they were dominant" despite some of the games being very close with title-on-the-line.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I would say UCONN's dominance is not only safe now, but safe for the next 4 years. Yeah I know injuries can derail any team, and we've seen that happen to us in spades over the past 3 years.

Even this year we lost Azzi, Jana, and Ayanna for the entire season and most doubt Caroline will be back (and if she does, how much REALLY could she help). But the next 2 games will tell us where we stand, and frankly, I think we run the tables in the BE. And even if we don't, we will be at the top of the BE at the end of the year.

ASSUMING that UCONN stays health (and that's a big "if"), there is no team in the BE now, or over the next 4 years, that will come close. There is no team that comes close to the talent we have. And next year - let's say we lose Aubrey, Nika, and Aaliyah - we get as NEW players (including injured players coming back) Azzi, Ayanna, Jana, (maybe) Caroline, Morgan, and Allie. Possibly S. Strong. There is zero chance any big east teams could realistically challenge us.

Could we lose a game here or there in the BE? Maybe. But if healthy, next season will be a romp. And given the strong class we are off to for the following season (Fisher and to a lesser extent Malou-Mamel), it just ain't changing any time soon in the BE.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Big East Dancing GIF by BIG EAST Conference

Reaction Score
It’s called hyperbole……
For someone that recently said the below in bold and how much he crticizes Geno whether it be direct or indirect, I'm not sure much of it was hyperobole. Anyhow, I beleive the premise is that some of us don';t agre with those of you (if not you -others) that this season UCON will be dominant.

Applying that same philsophy, Kim recently became the coach to attain 600 wins quicker than anyone else.
I have little doubt that Geno employed a similar tactic to not lose 2 gamesin a row for so manhy years until recently.

Reaction Score
This year is probable but still in some degree of doubt than any year in recent memory. Geno doesn't score baskets. I recall vs Az in Final Four UCONN missed a lot of layups/inside baskets. This year is arrguably their weakest team, and I beleive the past 2/3 yaers not every year has been a walkover.

As far as the freshmen, it's not like every game their performance will improve. It doesn;t work like that. I fear some might go "over-the-top-critical" for any game that they might lose in the Big East when in fact freshmen over the course of the season are more apt to be up-and-down.
Yes, but they are trending upwards quickly

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The OP's question seems to have a different context than it did a few days ago. Beating the #2 team by basically 30 will do that.

Geno said post-game that he didn't think any team would go undefeated in the conference this year. I think we win the regular season title, maybe handily. Undefeated? Maybe. We have Paige, and they don't.

Reaction Score
Good teams are expected to win at home. We are good.

Great teams win on the road. Our 3 losses are @NCS, @Texas and at Cayman Is. to #2 UCLA. No shame in losing to those teams, especially away from home. But...

Our next games are at Creighton and at Georgetown. Great? We shall see.

Reaction Score
I think Geno sometimes uses pressers to motivate his players. This feels like one of those moments.
I doubt they will go undefeated in Big East. Even powerhouse teams )or at ;least better than this team) of the past have had some struggles (and/or lost) vs not so very good teams. I expect this year UCONN will be much stronger at home than away from home. I'd be suprised if they don't get picked off once ro twice away from home.

Reaction Score
I like the look of Marquette and Creighton. Lots of experience on those squads and excellent coaching. Villanova took a big hit in the draft, but Lucy Olsen is poised to become a star and Christina Dalce is playing well again this year.

Our primary weakness this year, as has been repeated so often, is a thin front court. But none of these teams has the size to capitalize on this. What Creighton has is a really crisply coached team of ball hawks -- that hasn't changed from last season. What Marquette has is strong guard play in King and Nkumu and strong power forwards in Karlen and Hottinger. However, I think Paige and Aaliyah will feast on both teams and the freshmen should approach these games like puppies with a new chew toy.
I think we are fine with a small line-up. We have to be. That means 4 guards and Edwards. Everyone hitting their shots and playing defense as they did vs. Marquette. I don't think that will hold up against the monster powers like LSU and particularly, South Carolina. Their size and athleticism is overwhelming. To beat them; ICE ha to become a superstar, and Q has to become freshman of the year. But in Big East, we have already taken on one of the best and deepest teams. You saw the outcome.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think Geno sometimes uses pressers to motivate his players. This feels like one of those moments.
Actually, I think Geno uses tha pressers to pump up the other Big East teams both for the league itself and for the committee. I absolutely agree the BE is much better for WCBB than the AAC (especially now with the latest defections), the BE still has a long way to go to gain back 2005-2012 dominance. Frankly, more of these schools need to fund these programs like they do the Men’s instead of giving them mere Pennies.

As I said to a few prominent BYers in private chats to them prior to the game, I am not worried at all this year and do think we go undefeated with really the only 2 games of worry being at Creighton and the revenge game at Marquette but neither am I really worried about. I am heartened by the 22 assists vs. just 7 turnovers yesterday against a senior laden squad who plays hard, physical defense. The team understands their strength and skill is constant “up tempo” and transition to allow their better athletic basketball skills thrive.

Reaction Score
The team understands their strength and skill is constant “up tempo” and transition to allow their better athletic basketball skills thrive.
Exactly. We have better athletes and can run with anyone, and the team needs to remember this.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Exactly. We have better athletes and can run with anyone, and the team needs to remember this.
Pushing pace, pressing, and trapping is a great way to keep the ball out of the big girls’ hands. That’s the best option for beating the South Carolina-sized teams.

I like the 4 guard lineup because there are so many capable ball-handlers that turnovers have been drastically reduced. Last year, with only Nika a true guard (I consider Lou more of a wing), forwards had to handle the ball, often with disastrous results. Fewer turnovers = more possession.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not looking forward to our game vs. SC... yet. This team is still figuring out their new identity after the cavalcade of injuries. 2 starters, and 2 key reserves. But the freshmen have been terrific and the team seems to be thriving with the 4 guard-1 post lineup. I will feel better if we can have a great game vs. Creighton and then hopefully another one against ND.

BTW I almost always compliment the freshmen on how great they have been, but Nika, Aaliyah, Paige and Aubrey have been tremendous as well. As Geno said in the Marquette post game, the upper classmen played really really good at doing what they do best.

My only worry is the freshman wall. Who will hit it and how bad will it be? When you rely SO much on first year players, it could be a big issue for us...

One thing that seems to be prevalent with this team is that Geno's coaching style seems to have adjusted. In the past historically, he'd be h harder on freshmen trying to break down their bad habits and instill new ones. It seems he's more coaching them to do what they do well while still teaching them what they need in order to thrive in a motion offense - intense defense system.

Reaction Score
One thing that seems to be prevalent with this team is that Geno's coaching style seems to have adjusted. In the past historically, he'd be h harder on freshmen trying to break down their bad habits and instill new ones. It seems he's more coaching them to do what they do well while still teaching them what they need in order to thrive in a motion offense - intense defense system.
With the amount of injuries UCONN has had these past 3 years, I think he would have always adjusted. I recall that when DT had that terrible game in FF he went over to her not as a tough coach. This is the same coach that also let Sales score a basket to break the record even though she really couldn't play.

Reaction Score
Eventually, there will come a season when UConn WBB loses a BE championship. But that’s not happening this year, absent a major injury or two to key players. Honestly, I am not sure that the rest of the BE is better this season. Aside from UConn, the league has lost its “star power.” Players like Morrow, Siegrist and several “high profile” transfers are gone.

While Marquette & Creighton are solid, well-coached teams, they don’t really match up well athletically with UConn, and they don’t have the size to give UConn any real trouble in the paint. After those two teams, there is a real drop off in talent. Columbia, my Alma Mater, starts a 5-guard lineup that has already taken down Seton Hall, Providence & Villanova, the 3 BE teams on their OOC schedule.

Finally, and obviously, we have Paige Bueckers and they don’t….:cool:
Right on, olddude. We have Paige and the rest of the BE does not.

We also have Aailyah and Nika and Aubrey and skilled freshmen who have great instincts snd skills plus the UConn Standard of heart,fearlessness and selflessness. When those things are all in gear and clicking there is no BE team that can beat us.

Reaction Score
Right on, olddude. We have Paige and the rest of the BE does not.
Who will we have that other teams don't after the Paige era? Azzi, maybe? or KK? or Ash? or Jana? or Morgan? It will be fun to see who emerges.

sun

Reaction Score
Who will we have that other teams don't after the Paige era? Azzi, maybe? or KK? or Ash? or Jana? or Morgan? It will be fun to see who emerges.
...and Allie Ziebell. I'm expecting that she'll be a great shooter. Get your bets in early, :D

Reaction Score
Hopefully Azzi emerges during the Paige era.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
UConn could drink a keg of beer before each game & still run the table of the Big East.
Collectively, probably. Individually, no way. :cool:

Reaction Score
We are not safe. Injury could make us very vulnerable. Now I'm going to go burn some sage.
O' mountainous one--pray tell, when in the last 3 year has that not been an issue? Ono rail thin until Dorka not back up. The real bless is--the little guys on this can fill the vacant hole. \Paige, Ashlynn Q, KK, Uconn hasn'had that kind of scoring scine who knows when? Let us not look beyong this coming game---then let us talk. \
I'll be the first Again and again and again (years by years) saying ---what Uconn needs is a 6ft 5inch EFFECTIVE Post---and as many times as I say it---it rarely came true. Edwards and ONO (except with TRANSFER Dorka) that has been Uconn's COMMON FACTOR

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom