How often have you been moved by how great UConn plays? | The Boneyard

How often have you been moved by how great UConn plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Have there been any moments where Uconn is playing so well you can't help but get a little emotional? Last night's game certainly helped. It was beautiful to watch the kids execute their offense with poise and efficiency, exploiting the glaring advantage in the post, and hitting layup after layup. That was the reason this team trailed for all of 20 seconds the entire game.

A classic game that moved me was the 2000 national championship game. I was in awe of watching the 6'2" Svet push the ball up the court like a point guard, with all the vicious and amazing backdoor cuts. Just precision pillar to post, seizing not only the championship but also where the Huskies clearly seized "top dog program" status.

One more example. During the 2009-10 regular season, UConn played a highly-ranked UNC team. It didn't take long, but then UConn opened up a can on the Tar Heels in a way that was stunning. This team was supposed to be top-five, but UConn was just shredding them. UNC never recovered from that game. It was so sick a performance that I was energized.

So what about you? What were some of the games you witnessed that made you feel something, that perhaps made you a fan in the first place, that reminded you why you love UConn WBB?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The Ohio State game in the Garden during the Streak. It was so cool to have the whole country see what we all already knew -- that UConn was just transcendent.

Last year's Duke game at home when Kelly Faris took over a close game at halftime and just willed her team to a 30-point beatdown.

2003 NC against Tennessee...I remember thinking there was no way Diana could do it after all those players had graduated, but her teammates stepped up big time and it was incredible to see them carry the torch. (I only got to see UConn play when they were on national TV back then, and I'm pretty sure there is a case of VHS tapes of UConn games somewhere at my parents' house)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
There have been quite a few - one that stands out as I try to look back was the night Maya eclipsed the UCONN scoring record. It was a pink-out game at home in Connecticut, possibly against Oklahoma or St. John's but not sure. Approaching the lane from the left side of the court, she broke the record on a crazy driving scoop shot that was preposterous even by her standards but which of course fell through the hoop to the crowd's frenzied delight. The team's play that night was A+ all around, just a joy to watch.

Maya was in her element, a master of the moment, not just playing basketball but creating a work of art, feeling the muse.

Reaction Score
Sue's killer passes to the backdoor cutters in 2000 NC game vs TN. Talk about "shredding" - OMG 71-52!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
That pass from D to Will against Texas....

Maya's rundown, steal, time out v. DePaul

Ann's "three and shout" in the Finals

Reaction Score
Diana's "That's my hook shot" hook shot

And of course..... the clear-out play to Diana at the end of the OK NC game where she hit the shot, got the and-1 and fouled out Stacy Dales. YES!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Too many to list. :)

Kelly taking over the Duke game in 2013 and the ND semifinal game in 2012.

Maya taking over several games: the Stanford game in San Antonio, the Syracuse game with 10 treys, the Syracuse game on Senior Night, the Florida State game for win 89. In a rare losing effort, Maya hitting 2 treys late to cut the Rutgers lead to 3. I know that, with one more touch, she would have sent the game into OT.

Tina's breakout game against Louisville in St. Louis.

Great plays often make me gasp or even laugh. Maya made the game look so easy with her great jumper or iconic scoop shot.

Diana hitting bombs to beat Tennessee.

Bird at the Buzzer.

MoJett accelerating and running by the entire opposition for a layup at the rim.

Stewie skying, fully extended for an offensive putback.

Kaleena draining trey after trey when the ball barely touches the net.

Kiah blocking 3 shots in 5 seconds.

Maya or Stewie blocking a shot by coming out of nowhere.

Reaction Score
Heather Buck shutting out Griner after freshman Dolson racked up fouls, then freshman Bria hitting a winning 3.

Reaction Score
Diana beating Michelle Snow, making the basket, and one, and hitting something orange. Diana from 3/4 court at the halftime buzzer. The 2002 E8 game against ODU, 15 minutes of flawless basketball. UNC in Maya's freshman year, the last time they'd been in town was the only time I've ever seen the Huskies blown out. It started off looking like Round 2. Then Maya came into the game and ENDED that noise. Ketia beating the whole DePaul team down court.

Reaction Score
Kelly Shumacher's blocks against UT. How many was it in one possession? half a dozen? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom