How much are we paying Michigan to visit the Rent? | The Boneyard

How much are we paying Michigan to visit the Rent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And what were we paid for visiting the Big House?

I've looked around but haven't found a way to get this info. Does anyone know?

Reaction Score

Potentially zero and zero for a home and home series. You each keep you own gate.

Reaction Score
Potentially zero and zero for a home and home series. You each keep you own gate.

Correct. If it were just one game to fill a void in the schedule, then you get paid.

Reaction Score
If that's true, what difference do the venues make for a visiting team?

Exposure.

You do realize this is probably going to get Carl going again on NYC.

Reaction Score
Exposure.

The bigger venue allows Michigan to play in front of more of their East Coast alum, from their perspective building goodwill and thus donations. But that's only if you play at a venue (like the Meadowlands) which holds more than the UConn fanbase. It's why all the posts we get from time to time saying we could get more big time opponents into East Hartford if we expanded the stadium are just silly.

Reaction Score
If that's true, what difference do the venues make for a visiting team?
It isn't about the venue except that the venue isn't Michigan Stadium. Forget that nonsense. this is about Michigan not wanting to give up a home game. Nothing more, nothing less. If we built the Biggest House with 200,000 seats between now and that game, they still wouldn't want to do it. They want at least 7 home games. 8 if they can get them. They've made it pretty clear they will only go on the road to play neutral site games and Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
It also gives other schools down the road more of a bargaining chip against Michigan when negotiating a potential series if they say, well, you played in a 40K building at UConn, why won't you play us here in our low to mid sized building?

Reaction Score
Exposure.

Exposure, huh? Well if that's the case and Michigan wants to play in NYC then UConn should get to play in an area where they can use exposure - Florida, Texas, maybe Ohio (the Huskies could lease the Buckeys's home field) and force them to play somewhere not advantageous to their program.

Here's a thought though, Michigan's home game at the Big House and UConn's home game at Rentschler Field. Let's just do it the old fashion way - home and home.

Reaction Score
Last September as you guys may recall, ESPN had an article regarding this topic when the Mich AD reached out to Uconn to inquire about rescheduling the game to a neutral site. This was after he implemented a "no home and home policy" for Mich Football moving forward. His reason was because he can get 110k+ fans at home, so only essential league road games and ND games will be played on the road. I cant argue with that policy. However, since this deal was on the books, and this was a package deal w/ the BBall team, they said that they were going to uphold their end of the bargain but asked Uconn to at least consider the possibility of a neutral site. That site was Gillette Stadium, and their was NO MENTION of NYC!! The reason given by Mich was due to the fact that they travel heavy with their fan base and alums, and wanted greater exposure and the oppertunity for more of their fans to see the game. They also said that they would not expect a dime out of the gate royalties, and their heavy fan base would bring in much more $$$ for Uconn. Again, a good point. As we know, we politely stood our ground much like we did with ND. This situation alone sheds light on the fact that with only a 40k stadium, no big names are coming here down the road so we better enjoy the Mich game!!

Reaction Score
Uh, I think Tennessee is big time enough. I would support expansion of the stadium to 50,000 but any more than that is ridiculous at this point. There are certain schools you'll never get regardless of the size of the stadium because they insist on 8 home games a year. If you want to be a mendicant I guess you can schedule them at their place twice and once at a neutral site. There is no long term advantage to that as we'll never have an 80,000 seat stadium and be in the SEC.

Reaction Score
Here's a thought though, Michigan's home game at the Big House and UConn's home game at Rentschler Field. Let's just do it the old fashion way - home and home.
Where did I say that I was against keeping the home and home? Palatine asked why they wanted a different venue, I gave an opinion.

Reaction Score
This situation alone sheds light on the fact that with only a 40k stadium, no big names are coming here down the road so we better enjoy the Mich game!!

i think you're missing the point that it has nothing to do with stadium size. Michigan doesn't want to come here b/c they don't want any more road games than are absolutely necessary, not because of our stadium size. if they wanted exposure to their distant fans they'd play on the road, but that's not what this is about. this is about them not wanting to give up the $2-3 million payday they get for every home game.

unfortunately i think you're right though that none of the big time programs are going to schedule road games in the future. why risk a loss and getting kept out of the "playoff" when you can cash a multi million dollar payday instead.

Reaction Score
Uh, I think Tennessee is big time enough. I would support expansion of the stadium to 50,000 but any more than that is ridiculous at this point. There are certain schools you'll never get regardless of the size of the stadium because they insist on 8 home games a year. If you want to be a mendicant I guess you can schedule them at their place twice and once at a neutral site. There is no long term advantage to that as we'll never have an 80,000 seat stadium and be in the SEC.

AND WE'LL NEVER WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP IN ANY SPORT.

Reaction Score
i think you're missing the point that it has nothing to do with stadium size. Michigan doesn't want to come here b/c they don't want any more road games than are absolutely necessary, not because of our stadium size. if they wanted exposure to their distant fans they'd play on the road, but that's not what this is about. this is about them not wanting to give up the $2-3 million payday they get for every home game.

unfortunately i think you're right though that none of the big time programs are going to schedule road games in the future. why risk a loss and getting kept out of the "playoff" when you can cash a multi million dollar payday instead.
-------------------------------------------------
Matt, I agree with you. Giving up the multimillion $$ payday is one of the reasons Mich FB now has this policy against scheduling home and homes outside of the conference and ND. I bet if Texas or USC or Alabama came knocking they would consider it. I do however think that the fan consideration is also legit. If you think about it, every Brand needs to promote itself, ND does a great job of this. I've been to 5 ND games, 4 outside of South Bend and not one was less than a sellout. They do a great job of bringing their brand/product to their fans and I think Mich will have to continue to do the same at least to some extent, so the Gillette Stadium suggestion would definately have its appeal for the Mich fans throughout New England.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i refuse to play a N game at umass stadium

Reaction Score
-------------------------------------------------
Matt, I agree with you. Giving up the multimillion $$ payday is one of the reasons Mich FB now has this policy against scheduling home and homes outside of the conference and ND. I bet if Texas or USC or Alabama came knocking they would consider it. I do however think that the fan consideration is also legit. If you think about it, every Brand needs to promote itself, ND does a great job of this. I've been to 5 ND games, 4 outside of South Bend and not one was less than a sellout. They do a great job of bringing their brand/product to their fans and I think Mich will have to continue to do the same at least to some extent, so the Gillette Stadium suggestion would definately have its appeal for the Mich fans throughout New England.
they are playing Alabama at a neutral site game in Texas this season, I believe. I serioulsy doubt that you'll see many true road games played by the name teams in the future. the neutral site games will become the alternative.

Reaction Score

$200k each, if I remember correctly. The reason this is done is to add an additional incentive to the team returning the home game to actually do so.

Reaction Score
i refuse to play a N game at umass stadium
Dan, I hear you. This was all brought up last September before Umass made the jump. Plus, I think there are still some pissed off football fans still here in CT that are disgruntled over how Craft used us to get Gillette funded by Mass. Probably wouldnt sit to well with them either...

Reaction Score
they are playing Alabama at a neutral site game in Texas this season, I believe. I serioulsy doubt that you'll see many true road games played by the name teams in the future. the neutral site games will become the alternative.
I would pay $$ to see that game!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Where did I say that I was against keeping the home and home? Palatine asked why they wanted a different venue, I gave an opinion.

Then define what you mean by "exposure". They'll get plenty of East Coast exposure by playing at The Rent. It will be a network game. What incremental increase in exposure do they get if the game is played in a bigger venue? Not very much, I don't think. I think biz has it right, it's more of an outreach thing for the UM alums.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd be okay with a home/away neutral deal with the neutral being Yankee stadium or a similar venue. It's win/win.

Reaction Score
Then define what you mean by "exposure". They'll get plenty of East Coast exposure by playing at The Rent. It will be a network game. What incremental increase in exposure do they get if the game is played in a bigger venue? Not very much, I don't think. I think biz has it right, it's more of an outreach thing for the UM alums.
1. You didn't answer my relatively simple question "where did I say I was against keeping this a home and home", so I'm assuming you're silently admitting you were ignorant in making such a statement and trying to move onto something else to pick at.
2. Let me put this in simpler language for you I guess, and please let me know if it needs futher simplification:
If the game were played in front of a 75,000 stadium in CT, it would provide a great show for us here, but it would not bring in the eyes of those outside of CT that a game in NYC would.
A game in NYC is much easier to hype to a national media, as well as an NYC media that has a large number of Michigan alum.
NYC vs. East Hartford. Hmm. Which could a network hype more and bring more eyes to?

Reaction Score
^^^^^

Why would anyone consider expanding their stadium if this is what it has come to?

Seriously? Because we over time need to draw more people not just for NC State and Michigan but for Temple and Louisville.

The new way of scheduling makes it difficult to build up customers bases. It does not obviate the need for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom