How Megan Walker earned the right to be UCONN basketball's next superstar | The Boneyard

How Megan Walker earned the right to be UCONN basketball's next superstar

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Short article, but it has a video and some quotes from her. Thought you all might find it interesting!

Megan Walker article

"(I'm always) wanting to be better than the next person. Everyone is always chasing you, trying to catch up. So just staying ahead, that's my motivation," Walker recently told STACK. "(That helped me) get in the extra workouts by myself. Friday night, when everyone else is out, you're in the gym by yourself, getting better."

Reaction Score
Short article, but it has a video and some quotes from her. Thought you all might find it interesting!

Megan Walker article

"(I'm always) wanting to be better than the next person. Everyone is always chasing you, trying to catch up. So just staying ahead, that's my motivation," Walker recently told STACK. "(That helped me) get in the extra workouts by myself. Friday night, when everyone else is out, you're in the gym by yourself, getting better."

That is true. But working hard is not the answer. It is required. You need talent too. Nobody works harder than Molly Bent. And no one on the team is smarter. People always say if you work hard in practice, you will play, but if everyone around you work as hard, then you will sit if they have more talent. And no matter how hard you work.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Good article but let me demur.....she may have the aspirations/ credentials to be the next UCWBB superstar, but she is not one yet. Hope it all comes true for her, but it's what you do AT UConn, not BEFORE UConn that counts. Early days, early days.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good article but let me demur.....she may have the aspirations/ credentials to be the next UCWBB superstar, but she is not one yet. Hope it all comes true for her, but it's what you do AT UConn, not BEFORE UConn that counts. Early days, early days.
To be fair, she's not calling herself a super star. The writer of the article is saying that. What Megan said is that one of the things that has pushed her is knowing that even tho people "call" her the best, it puts a label on her that everyone guns for so she needs to work harder to keep ahead of them. More or less.

I like everything about this young lady and think she will be a terrific Husky. It remains to be seen if she will be a #1 like Dee, Stewie, Maya, or a #1 like Tina, or a #1 like KML or a #1 like Annie.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

She's not at fault for the coronation. I think the odds of that happening are 3/2.75.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
To be fair, she's not calling herself a super star. The writer of the article is saying that. What Megan said is that one of the things that has pushed her is knowing that even tho people "call" her the best, it puts a label on her that everyone guns for so she needs to work harder to keep ahead of them. More or less.

I like everything about this young lady and think she will be a terrific Husky. It remains to be seen if she will be a #1 like Dee, Stewie, Maya, or a #1 like Tina, or a #1 like KML or a #1 like Annie.

I agree. To be honest the whole "my brand" thing was a turn off and a danger signal to me and I'm glad there has not been a whiff of that in a long time.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Seriously, who the heck is Annie?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Seriously, who the heck is Annie?

Annie Strother? Ann to 99.78% off us. Or my shepard, husky, coon dog mix. She's a sweetie and has a lot of ups in her game.

Certainly not the dreaded Meyers!

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Annie Strother? Ann to 99.78% off us. Or my shepard, husky, coon dog mix. She's a sweetie and has a lot of ups in her game.

At one time she was my favorite player. (When she was a freshman and sophomore)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

who-me-thumb.jpg

Reaction Score

What happened to KLS?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What happened to KLS?
Good question. I forgot to add her in, but I was thinking about Huskies who already graduated and put their career stamps on the program. KLS still has 2 amazing years left, and at this point, which "tier" would you put her in?

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
What was wrong with her Jr. and Sr. Season?
I can't remember what happened to make me stop following Uconn as closely as I had been. In fact, when I started watching some replays of some of Uconn's games around 2012 and saw Strother, I realized that I had forgotten about her.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
I can't remember what happened to make me stop following Uconn as closely as I had been. In fact, when I started watching some replays of some of Uconn's games around 2012 and saw Strother, I realized that I had forgotten about her.

Time rolls on for sure...

The lasting impression I have of Ann having to play out of position as a 4 and sometimes the 5, Jr and Sr. Year and folks observing her play declined because Dee graduated...

I believed she mentally felt she needed to carry so much of the load to take pressure off the rest of the team...it weighed heavy on her and resulted in her struggling as well...

Another observation, I believe she actual grew 2-3" in height during her Uconn career...Not Bria H. Height but actual ht. Recall seeing as a freshman at about 6-1" by Senior she was legitimate 6-3.5" Does anyone else recall observing that?

Anyway part of a group of my favorite players...

Ann, Kelly F., Carla, Jamelle, Kelly S. is my 1st Team Non-Wallers...

I have a 2nd, 3rd and 4th team Non-Wallers as well...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom