How many Ws will it take for Weist to win you over? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How many Ws will it take for Weist to win you over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight...if the guy beats USF, Memphis, Temple and SMU, a group of 4 teams with now 3 wins among them, you're ready to give him a 5 year contract. If he adds Cincy, a team that seems to be spiraling down hill very quickly, you'll not only extend him but hold a friggin' parade. He seems like a nice guy, and a good coach. but I have higher hopes for UConn than beating 4 teams that we'll probably be favored against even now...yipes. Sent the message to Pete Lembo and tell him the job is his December 5.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I am already a huge fan of TJW but (as the initial post opined) this is very premature as TJW has yet to coach one game as the guy in charge.

We need to realize that hiring a new coach, without an exhaustive search, would be a serious disservice to the school, the football program and the fan base. This is not stating that once all is said and done we choose someone else just because he is someone else, it merely means that whether we retain TJW or go elsewhere it will be because the man WM views as the best possible candidate, after all stones have been unturned is who got the job.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Everyone hear thought this was a 6-7 win team factoring the GDL contributions. So if he wins the 4 remaining games we all thought were locks and maybe one more, some here are handing him the job? #smh #smalltime

Every win this season is a reminder how bad the P regime had become because that team in Buffalo was going between 0-12 or 2-10 only because the AAC is horrible.

Talent alone should win 4 games, lets see what happens.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Everyone hear thought this was a 6-7 win team factoring the GDL contributions. So if he wins the 4 remaining games we all thought were locks and maybe one more, some here are handing him the job? #smh #smalltime.

If this was a 6-7 win team, we aren't even having this discussion about who the next coach will be. It would be PP. So what we thought the team was and what the team actually is are clearly two very different things, right?

So....having said THAT....if he wins 6, you'll be hearing a lot of noise from third-party observers about the great turnaround job from TJ Weist... #reality

Reaction Score
If he wins 6 games it would be a remarkable job. Borderline amazing........

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If this was a 6-7 win team, we aren't even having this discussion about who the next coach will be. It would be PP. So what we thought the team was and what the team actually is are clearly two very different things, right?

So....having said THAT....if he wins 6, you'll be hearing a lot of noise from third-party observers about the great turnaround job from TJ Weist... #reality

If he wins 6, that is certainly a strong statement. You start hearing about our recent draft history and how bad PP was and presumably how great Boyle is. If he wins six then you have to consider him amongst others.

I'm poking fun those who think a 4-4 or 5-3 run in the AAC bequeaths him the job. Other than UL and maybe UCF every other team has shown is flaws.

Reaction Score
4 wins of 8 would be significant given where we are. I think he does better if he is gets a win against USF. It will completely reverse direction.

Reaction Score
I want to say I like him and he's a breath of fresh air. However, anything less than a conference championship means I want to see a big name come in here next season and want to see that coach clean house.

History would be repeating itself - Rich Rod takes Michigan job, not allowed to coach bowl game. Coach Stew wins it, get the head coaching job, and WVU begins a slow decent from it's lofty status 2005 through about 2010. Heck go back far enough and you have Hank Raymond and Marquette losing ground after he took over from Al McQuire.

UConn needs a brand new start. Someone with an offensive pedigree (score, throw, score, throw and score some more).

Reaction Score
History would be repeating itself - Rich Rod takes Michigan job, not allowed to coach bowl game. Coach Stew wins it, get the head coaching job, and WVU begins a slow decent from it's lofty status 2005 through about 2010. Heck go back far enough and you have Hank Raymond and Marquette losing ground after he took over from Al McQuire.

UConn needs a brand new start. Someone with an offensive pedigree (score, throw, score, throw and score some more).

If we are comparing the two scenarios P would be Bill Stewart and Weist would be Dana Holgerson and Weist is a new guy with an offensive pedigree.

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong. Weist has done a nice job so far, but nobody knows if he can coach worth a darn yet. And 4 wins doesn't get it done. And this is absolutely about wins and losses. This isn't a Kevin Ollie situation where it is about appeasing the fan base. They aren't that invested in Weist. it is about finding a guy who can turn this program around, raise it to another level. Is Weist that guy? I have no idea. But I think that this decison will absolutely be based on where we are at the close of business on December 7. Obviously the more he wins the more he helps his case. But barring some kind of miracle run, 8-0, with a bowl win, Manuel will look beyond the current staff for his guy.

Reaction Score
Weist is just as much part of this offensive debacle as PGDL. Honestly, there are people here already drinking the Kool Aid and it hasn't been served.

Weist needs to at least have a winning record in conference and get to a bowl. 4 wins against these schools isn't going to do it.

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong. Weist has done a nice job so far, but nobody knows if he can coach worth a darn yet. And 4 wins doesn't get it done. And this is absolutely about wins and losses. This isn't a Kevin Ollie situation where it is about appeasing the fan base. They aren't that invested in Weist. it is about finding a guy who can turn this program around, raise it to another level. Is Weist that guy? I have no idea. But I think that this decison will absolutely be based on where we are at the close of business on December 7. Obviously the more he wins the more he helps his case. But barring some kind of miracle run, 8-0, with a bowl win, Manuel will look beyond the current staff for his guy.

Here I am agreeing with Freescooter again. And ZooCougar. Wow.

Reaction Score
Here I am agreeing with Freescooter again. And ZooCougar. Wow.

Wow what? It's like everyone can't wait to find the savior. I just don't see it yet with Weist, he will get his chance, but come on.

Reaction Score
This isn't a Kevin Ollie situation where it is about appeasing the fan base.

Keep that chicken

But barring some kind of miracle run, 8-0, with a bowl win, Manuel will look beyond the current staff for his guy.

So now he has to go 8 - 0 and win the BCS game. When it comes to coaching searches you are an insufferable lunatic.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
We may just lose the next 5. USF? Toss up. Cincy on road? L. (How did they lose to USF?)
UCF? L
Louisville L
SMU L

Maybe we win 2 or 3 this year. We need a new coach. He was our OC who lied and said he was calling the plays when perhaps he was not under P. come clean TJ.

Agree with Zoo. Take off the rose colred glasses.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Wow what? It's like everyone can't wait to find the savior. I just don't see it yet with Weist, he will get his chance, but come on.

It's not about "finding the savior" or "drinking the Kool-aid". The question was asked about how many wins it will take for Warde not to look elsewhere. If you don't think there is a real number in there, I think YOU'RE the one drinking Kool-aid.

There is no way in hell that if TJ goes 8-0 that he gets replaced. None. Zero. Zilch. Because Warde would understand that it puts him in a very precarious position. Could you imagine letting someone go who was 8-0 as your coach? Talk about lose-lose for the AD.

So the only question you need to answer is what you think Warde's breakpoint is. Not what you think will happen, but what situation would tie Warde's hands...

Reaction Score

I was just musing on the number of times I have agreed with both of you in the same thread. :) Nothing more, nothing less.

Reaction Score
There is no way in hell that if TJ goes 8-0 that he gets replaced. None. Zero. Zilch. Because Warde would understand that it puts him in a very precarious position. Could you imagine letting someone go who was 8-0 as your coach? Talk about lose-lose for the AD.

Yup, and you can even say the same thing about 6-2, Warde would be crucified by many including the players who would revolt if Weist got let go at 6-2.

Other coaches wouldn't even bother interviewing if Weist went 6-2. They would just assume UCONN found its guy.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Its not about Ws but they will certainly help. Let's start with one on October 12. Let October 13 and thereafter take care of itself for now. I want to see competent clock management and more imaginative play calling that puts the players in the best position to succeed.

Reaction Score
It's not about "finding the savior" or "drinking the Kool-aid". The question was asked about how many wins it will take for Warde not to look elsewhere. If you don't think there is a real number in there, I think YOU'RE the one drinking Kool-aid.

So the only question you need to answer is what you think Warde's breakpoint is. Not what you think will happen, but what situation would tie Warde's hands...

I answered that question. I hate to get all Upstater on you but try reading...

Minimum requirement is a winning conference record, a bowl game and a coaching market that doesn't favor us.

But I have noticed a bunch of posters prematurely appointing this guy the savior. And we haven't played a down with him as HC, but we have played 4 games with him as OC.

At 4 wins and all he would be doing is replicating the worst we expected PGDL to do.

Reaction Score
Its not about Ws but they will certainly help. Let's start with one on October 12. Let October 13 and thereafter take care of itself for now. I want to see competent clock management and more imaginative play calling that puts the players in the best position to succeed.

Actually, according to Warde it is about the Ws.

If it's not then he was lying to us.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Actually, according to Warde it is about the Ws.

If it's not then he was lying to us.

That wasn't the question. The question was, "How many Ws will it take for Weist to win you (i.e. me) over?"

I do not work for Mr. Manuel. As much as I respect him, he does not tell me how to think.

Reaction Score
I know it's a little premature, but it's an off week and we don't have anything like actual performance to cloud our opinions, how many wins do people think they need for Weist to be brought on as permanent HC? Our schedule from here on out is USF, @UCF, Lville, @SMU, @Temple, RU, Memphis

Personally I think I'll be inclined to want to keep him if he can get us 4. USF, Memphis and @Temple are the closest things we have to sure wins if we get things turned around. If we can manage to win a game or two among @UCF, Lville, @SMU, and RU, I think I'd be ready to sing him up for 4-5 years. If we just win the 3 "easy" games I think it'll come down to style points and intangibles.
I think it will depend who else applies for the job. That being said, I think he needs to win at least 6, and maybe all of them. I will bet that at least 2 assistants from Iowa are thinking about it (the head coach at Iowa is a UCONN legacy), maybe Morehead pulls a Lane Kiffin and comes back now that PP is gone. If Brian Ferentz applies he will be strongly considered for several reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom