How many points can UConn score? | The Boneyard

How many points can UConn score?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When I read these threads and I look at some of the comments and posts I wonder . Let me give you and example. Louisville scored a 127 pts. Now Im thinkin we beat L'ville by 36 so UConn could've scored over 160 pts. Is that crazy . When I see other teams give up 40-60 pts to a lesser opponent and win by 30 40 0r even 80, I think that would never happen against UConn and how many points could the team that won score against UConn? I was at last nites game. Philly scored 28 pts and our 2 walkons and our non starters played most of the second half. Geno stopped the fastbreak, stopped pressing, played a zone and made it easier for Philly . Philly lost to Seton Hall by 1 at Seton Hall. They are not an easy cupcake. Now let me ask you this. Its scary how many teams wont score 30 pts against UConn this season? Think about it. Philly is a pretty good team and our walkons and non starters played a lot in the second half. How many teams wont score double digets in the first half against UConn? UConn will beat some top teams who wont score 50 pts against UConn knowing Geno will back off. That sounds crazy doesn't it? Well this UConn team is that strong at every position and has the depth to do it.

Some fans think Duke MD ND Stanford will give UConn a game. When I hear that I realize many fans don't know what level UConn is at. There isn't a team in WCBB imo that can give UConn a run. No Team. NONE. Think about what I just posted. Can you imagine UConn scoring a 160+ pts against an opponent. That sounds crazy doesn't it. But think about it...they can. They most likely wont because Geno will pull back. The point is they can. Some of you are thinking Tonyc your over the top . Well let me say this. We have been beating ACC teams by a lot. Most games over 30pts. Now this is this year not past years. What do you expect from UConn? More points scored and less points given up? I do but Geno will clear the bench and allow them to make it respectable. If this UConn team gets hot they can score 65+ pts in a half without breaking a sweat. I know some of you think Im over the top at times and I may be but when Im off how much am I off. Not all that much. Saturday we play Hartford and Tuesday Stanford then we go on the road to Penn St and Maryland. Just watch. Not to belittle or knock another player or team. But when I see the rankings from 2-7 I think to myself they don't even have a chance and they've got good players. Geno has to try to keep his team from scoring 100 pts. Its to easy for them. They are that good. IMO the Greatest assemblage of WCBB players on one team. If you take the best player on each team and put them all together are they better as UConn? NO what if you took Chiney Simms Graves Williams and anybody else you want, do you think they could give UConn a game? No They don't have the defense or chemistry. Let me say this:

My All American 1st team has Stef KML and Stewart and there aint anybody close to those in their positions. I will take Simms at one guard and Hartley or MDs guard at the other positon. Morgan Tuck is a second team AA this season and I will say preseason along with Chiney.

Do you see where Im going with this? There isn't a team in WCBB that can give UConn a run. Opponets wont even be able to blame the refs when they get beat that's how good UConn is. Most games will be over at half time. All this talk about playing the NCAAs at ND or NC at Tenn. Im not worried. Im happy because I know where ever they put UConn we will overwhelm our opponent and it wont be pretty. Yes Im excited very excited. I hope to see you all at the games at half time at the Boneyard meetings. Its going to be fun winning number 9 in Tenn .

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tony - that is why they play the games ... I would agree that Uconn playing their A+ game would beat all comers, but ... Uconn may only play a few 40 minute A+ games all year and there will be some games where they play B- and if they happen to choose the wrong day to play poorly there are a number of teams that could win. On paper St John's should never have beaten us a few years ago, but they did. And say what you want about Baylor but there is no way they should have lost to Louisville last year, but they did.
This has the chance to be a very special year and I love the enthusiasm, but every once in awhile a cold shower wouldn't hurt. :)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tony - that is why they play the games ... I would agree that Uconn playing their A+ game would beat all comers, but ... Uconn may only play a few 40 minute A+ games all year and there will be some games where they play B- and if they happen to choose the wrong day to play poorly there are a number of teams that could win. On paper St John's should never have beaten us a few years ago, but they did. And say what you want about Baylor but there is no way they should have lost to Louisville last year, but they did.
This has the chance to be a very special year and I love the enthusiasm, but every once in awhile a cold shower wouldn't hurt. :)
St johns isn't playing this years version of UConn. That was then. IMO nothing applys to this years team. They will by by double digets every game even with their C game. Duke is talented, MD is healthy but neither will give UConn a game. When you look at other teams and see their talent many fans think Gee they could give UConn a game. But when it comes to chemistry and defense and playing as a team they just don't have it. Tuesday night against Stanford will open a lot of eyes. At Penn St and at MD will really open eyes. UConn doesn't need its A+ game to win big this season . They are that much better then everybody else. You will see.

Reaction Score
TonyC you make some great points (however long it took to digest them). Potential injuries are the only real threat to a perfect and dominate undefeated season. And with such a deep bench even one or two of our four All Americans out for a time should not stop these Huskies. I plan on enjoying every single blow-out game; this perhaps the best of all UConn or WBB teams in history.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
When I read these threads and I look at some of the comments and posts I wonder . Let me give you and example. Louisville scored a 127 pts. Now Im thinkin we beat L'ville by 36 so UConn could've scored over 160 pts. Is that crazy … Its going to be fun winning number 9 in Tenn .

Tony

i fundamentally agree with your position
But I don't think we'll likely see a Syracuse situ anytime soon.

The reason the score in the NCAA final was both a reasonable reflection of our dominance and a legitimate basketball score was that UConn's collective will and basketball standards were imposed. The game would end with a traditional score and not turn into a circus act, which Geno certainly could have done even though the method used guaranteed ccmplete dominance.

In so doing, he paid tribute to the game and its noble traditions.

Reaction Score
TONY: well, enough rational prognosticating. Let's get down to the nitty gritty here, namely, the feeling level. You did mention (and clearly gave evidence of) some excitement. But what else are you feeling as the new season looms? :cool:

Reaction Score
That team back then had some flaws and as you said, that team playing their B game while St. John's played an A+ game made the difference. This team is appreciably deeper and more skilled so that same argument isn't really valid.

Reaction Score
I agree with Tony. Only injuries can stop us. I don't like hearing about that brace on Morgan's knee already, but that alone wouldn't be enough to stop us.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

I have seen other games used as example of why Uconn might lose. Last years Baylor/Louisville game. And now the Uconn/St. John game.

I really don't think they are relevant. It's way too simplistic to say "well, this team was upset so this years Uconn team can bet upset.".

Now, of course Uconn could lose, but it would have to be such a perfect storm of events it seems very unlikely to happen.

The Uconn team that lost to St. John's would lose to this years team by 20 points.

Baylor loss? Can anyone really see this Uconn team allowing so many open three's? With the new rules in place, can you see a team muscle up on Uconn like Louisville did and not foul everyone out?

With the size AND speed of this team, it's going to be very difficult for any team to score over 60 points. And with the diversity of the offensive game with so many scorers it will be difficult for ant team to hold them under 80.

At Duke and at Maryland are the only two games that could be competitive. Both are very talented teams with injured players coming back. Both have superstars.

I'd love to see Uconn play ND and Tennessee in the final four. How nuts would that be?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That team back then had some flaws and as you said, that team playing their B game while St. John's played an A+ game made the difference. This team is appreciably deeper and more skilled so that same argument isn't really valid.

To both you and Tony - Absolutely it takes an A+ game from an inferior team but that happens sometimes and I would posit that St. Johns team was further below that Uconn team talent wise than a number of teams this year are 'below' this years Uconn team - St Johns was unranked as I remember - first unranked to beat us in forever. They played brilliantly and a very good Uconn team played a very bad game. I think this team is fantastic but then I thought the 2002 team was fantastic and while they were undefeated, they had some really bad games that were won in the last minute. All it really takes is a couple of players to be in a funk and then the rot can spread and pretty soon you have 20 turnovers and two players with 4 fouls and KML missing 5 straight threes. And I also remember the shock when a mediocre BU team beat us in the Big East and when a 70 game win streak was ended by ... Villanova. And I also remember in the middle of a 90 game win streak mostly by double digits a truly terrible first half of an NCAA title game and while we have some really great players this year I am not sure we have one comparable to the 'Invincible Queen' who was able to lead us out of that particular nightmare.
I am going to enjoy every game this year including all the blow outs and there will be many ... but I am not willing to guarantee every game will be a blow-out nor that a lose thrown in is an impossibility.
And just a note - 160+ points means getting and making 2 shots every minute for 40 minutes - theoretically possible but ... Comparing outcomes across games with common opponents and predicting scores is fools gold. Example - we beat Louisville during the season by 14, Baylor beat us by 6 - obviously Baylor will beat Louisville by about 20 - oops!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I have seen other games used as example of why Uconn might lose. Last years Baylor/Louisville game. And now the Uconn/St. John game.

I really don't think they are relevant. It's way too simplistic to say "well, this team was upset so this years Uconn team can bet upset.".

Now, of course Uconn could lose, but it would have to be such a perfect storm of events it seems very unlikely to happen.

The Uconn team that lost to St. John's would lose to this years team by 20 points.

Baylor loss? Can anyone really see this Uconn team allowing so many open three's? With the new rules in place, can you see a team muscle up on Uconn like Louisville did and not foul everyone out?

With the size AND speed of this team, it's going to be very difficult for any team to score over 60 points. And with the diversity of the offensive game with so many scorers it will be difficult for ant team to hold them under 80.

At Duke and at Maryland are the only two games that could be competitive. Both are very talented teams with injured players coming back. Both have superstars.

I'd love to see Uconn play ND and Tennessee in the final four. How nuts would that be?
DD - tonyC- u r all correct- this team is a Juggernaut---they are all a year older, stronger, faster ,more experienced, deeper, and flying on both ends of the court! They will overwhelm all opponents!

Reaction Score
UcM: Have always been a big Tony C fan, and this comment of mine does not detract from that stance. Just want to say that this post of your is one of your all-time best, and you've had many fine ones.
I share the fear bec of the nature of sports and my long time involvement in them. Started playing football in fourth grade which was around 1942. That was about two years after the Bears beat the Skins SEVENTY-THREE to ZERO to take the NFL title game. And THAT was just a couple/few weeks after the Skins had beaten the Bears 7-3! Dramatic turn around? Upset? Unexpected? I'd say so.
There are ALOT of good women's basketball teams out there and a significant number of VERY good ones.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
There are ALOT of good women's basketball teams out there and a significant number of VERY good ones.

Significant number of very good ones?

Sorry Wins, but I'm not buying this one.

Reaction Score
I agree with Tony. Only injuries can stop us. I don't like hearing about that brace on Morgan's knee already, but that alone wouldn't be enough to stop us.

SON: AND, Jefferson has already missed a game.......and there have only been two games! EX at that. Sadly
the reality likely concerns how many will be injured and for what periods of time, rather than "will somebody be injured?"
I hate to think about it, but the odds probably stack up in that fashion.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Hey Tony C- I can now die a happy man!!!!! At the Phillie Game I took a shot and asked a great American if he happened to be Kabitzer- and it was! Joanne is an absolute doll!!!! They lead me to the secret BY spot- OMG, then I get to meet Chicago Gigi, STu, TonyC, and then Phil!!!!i met some others that the names escape me- some lurkers or stalkers they call themselves! It's like moving into the elite Navy seal team of UConn fans!!! I think I am capable of hanging with this crowd, and can become as pompous, arrogant and overly sarcastic and do whatever I have to do to be able to hang with the BY'arders! Willing to buy food and coffee if that's what it takes!!!!! What a shot in the arm for an average guy like me. Quite a boost for my ego!!! Sincerely, Geno-ista

Reaction Score
GEnO : careful, Lad. Sometimes when they take you to that "secret BY spot," they try to take your sneakers and your cell phone. Curb your euphoria.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
UCONN's maximum vulnerability is this week with the line up of teams we face very early in the schedule when crazy things can happen. I doubt it is an accident Geno has this team running this gauntlet early. If a disaster happens he will have the teams focus and full attention for the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
Plus we start practice later than other teams, correct?

Reaction Score
I like Morgan Tuck in the starting line up.......She brings more toughness to the front line and can keep teams from trying to beat up Stef and Stewie in the paint......Plus, she is a PLAYER.......She is our new silent killer..........If true, who comes off the bench if MT starts?

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
UConn will be as dominant as their collective determination and Geno's unwillingness to humilate an opponent (unless it is necessary..See Syracuse) will allow. Can't wait for another wonderful season. Everyone please say their prayers or mantras, or give offerings to their lares and penates (or whatever) that we stay injury free and hopefully we will all be rejubilating (to quote Shane Victorino) next April. Ah yes, UCONN WBB - our chicken soup for the soul of winter.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I like Morgan Tuck in the starting line up.......She brings more toughness to the front line and can keep teams from trying to beat up Stef and Stewie in the paint......Plus, she is a PLAYER.......She is our new silent killer..........If true, who comes off the bench if MT starts?
I don't believe Geno will start Tuck normally unless there is an injury. And I don't think it matters who the injury is, Tuck will get the start then. But as has been discussed, without injuries or a doghouse start, the starting lineup will be
Jefferson
Hartley
KML
Stewart
Dolson

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yep, meyers, I really expect that is the regular starting line up.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
GEnO : careful, Lad. Sometimes when they take you to that "secret BY spot," they try to take your sneakers and your cell phone. Curb your euphoria.
Funny you said that---- I am still looking for my wallet from that game! Can't wait to see Kabitzer- or that Joanne- and they seemed so nice!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I don't believe Geno will start Tuck normally unless there is an injury. And I don't think it matters who the injury is, Tuck will get the start then. But as has been discussed, without injuries or a doghouse start, the starting lineup will be
Jefferson
Hartley
KML
Stewart
Dolson
This is without question the starting line up. We can count our blessings that we have a player like Morgan Tuck coming of the the bench that can play the 5 or the 4 or even the 3 probably-- and we lose very little on both ends of the floor. And she is the caliber player and especially the caliber of a person, that I would bet this is the last thing she is concerned about. She has already played significant minutes in the big show last year. She will do what it takes and then move into a starting role next year when Steph leaves. And who would we actually sit to start Morgan? And she was my personal favorite from day one last year.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

Shhh, we are setting him up. Waiting for him to wear his nice watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom