How many bids for the American? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How many bids for the American?

Reaction Score
3 with Houston as a lock. Uconn will have to win to get in and bounce out Cincinnati or WSU. All my opinion of course.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
League is certainly worse off by having the two main bubble teams facing each other early. Would be much better off if Cinci or WSU was in Tulsa's spot.

That said, I think it is possible to get three if UConn or WSU wins out and beats Cinci then Houston. But Cinci would be one of the last four in, so that spot could be lost depending on other bubble teams.

Reaction Score
From what I’ve read and heard there’s two spots for the AAC. Houston and whoever wins the conference tournament. If Houston wins it all then it’s a possibility that it’ll be just Houston.

Reaction Score
From what I’ve read and heard there’s two spots for the AAC. Houston and whoever wins the conference tournament. If Houston wins it all then it’s a possibility that it’ll be just Houston.
That's not the way it works though. Conferences don't earn bids, teams do. There is no ceiling other than your resume. I'd be absolutely shocked if it's fewer than two AAC teams, but three is still a very real possibility.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
when I was a kid, ncaaUConn was explained to me as ' 50/50 in conference games, and 20 wins.' then, the green eye shade types took over (I can't keep up with all the mumbojumbo ratings anymore - rpi?bpi?pom-poms? rsi? sos --hey wait, 'sos', that's a good one, 'save our season.' lol.) anyway, if we have to go thru which state and skeezy, yet lose to hoosten, that sure feels like dancing to me. numbers aside, I feel that this is a pretty good league this year (eye test of cbb), and so im in the 3 or 4 bid camp. face it, when you watch the 'top teams' this year, especially recently, you often feel 'we can beat them.' I sure do.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
when I was a kid, ncaaUConn was explained to me as ' 50/50 in conference games, and 20 wins.' then, the green eye shade types took over (I can't keep up with all the mumbojumbo ratings anymore - rpi?bpi?pom-poms? rsi? sos --hey wait, 'sos', that's a good one, 'save our season.' lol.) anyway, if we have to go thru which state and skeezy, yet lose to hoosten, that sure feels like dancing to me. numbers aside, I feel that this is a pretty good league this year (eye test of cbb), and so im in the 3 or 4 bid camp. face it, when you watch the 'top teams' this year, especially recently, you often feel 'we can beat them.' I sure do.
Pass the bourbon. I’ll see you Thursday afternoon.

Reaction Score
2. And I'm fairly confident - bear with me here.

For all intents and purposes I will consider the following teams the only one's able to win the AAC tourney: Houston, Cincy, Tulsa, Wichita St., UConn and Memphis.

The American conference has one lock in the tournament field and that is Houston.
Most brackets undeniably have Wichita State and Cincy as either IN or very close to IN. Most brackets if not all have all other teams out.

Houston is on the bottom of the AAC bracket. Wichita St., Cincy and UConn are on the top of the AAC bracket and can't play Houston until Sunday. If Houston makes the finals against Wichita/Cincy/UConn - the committee may want to deem that game irrelevant for seeding purposes (i.e. not wanting to have a contingency bracket based on the outcome) and just have two teams in the field. The second team being whatever team makes the finals of the top of the bracket. Meaning, I think Cincy/UConn/WichitaSt. are playing for ONE spot in the field IF Houston makes the finals.

Tulsa and Memphis are on Houston's side of the bracket. If Tulsa/Memphis make the finals the committee are undeniably going to have to open an auto-bid spot for the conference WITH Houston. Forcing the american to have two locks in the field with a "bid steal". Keep in mind the winner of the game on Sunday cannot play in the play-in game (i.e. Last Four In as at-large). This opens the path for Wichita/Cincy to get a last 4 in spot if they make the finals and lose to Memphis/Tulsa.

All that being said, I promise you, the committee wants to do everything in their power not to have to worry about the outcome of the AAC finals at 3:15pm on selection Sunday. In my opinion we should be rooting for Houston to get to the finals so we don't need the auto-bid and can just steal Cincy/Wichita's spot in the field whether we win or lose that Sunday game.

TLDR; UConn has a path to get in if they lose to Houston on Sunday otherwise they need to win 4 in 4 days.
I look forward to the day where I don’t have to feel like Rain Man trying to figure out these complex scenarios in my head for UConn to make the tournament. Soon enough, they’ll make it as an at large bid and not have to worry about the outcome of the conference tournament. “It’s coming”

Reaction Score
One. Whoever wins the conference tournament - meaning us. Couldn't care less about anyone else in this conference, good riddance to all of them.

Reaction Score
I would think the AAC warrants 4 ... especially considering how watered down the talent pool is ... when they are trying to sell you on the PAC 12 you know it's a weak field. Any of the 4 teams initially listed plus SMU can compete with the likes of Duke this year.

Reaction Score
Isn't it possible that, as you guys pointed out, because our conference plays the late slot on Sunday, that they just take Houston + the champion, or whoever plays Houston in the championship? Houston is the only lock right now and WSU, Cincy, Tulsa, Memphis, and Uconn are all on or close to the bubble in some way, but there is no massive separation between those 5 teams.
WSU, Cincy, could play their way out if they lose in the Quarters or semi's, Tulsa is very fringe at best but if they beat Houston to get to the championship, that may be enough for them. Memphis probably also had to get to the championship, and then Uconn would be pretty deserving if they got to the championship too. And if it comes down to Uconn vs Tulsa for the championship, then the bids are Houston and the winner of that game.
I think that makes sense personally. It's in our best interest to get to the championship vs Houston. That way the committee just pencils us in, and moves us into bubble game if we lose, or slides another fringe team into bubble game if we win.

Reaction Score
Isn't it possible that, as you guys pointed out, because our conference plays the late slot on Sunday, that they just take Houston + the champion, or whoever plays Houston in the championship? Houston is the only lock right now and WSU, Cincy, Tulsa, Memphis, and Uconn are all on or close to the bubble in some way, but there is no massive separation between those 5 teams.
WSU, Cincy, could play their way out if they lose in the Quarters or semi's, Tulsa is very fringe at best but if they beat Houston to get to the championship, that may be enough for them. Memphis probably also had to get to the championship, and then Uconn would be pretty deserving if they got to the championship too. And if it comes down to Uconn vs Tulsa for the championship, then the bids are Houston and the winner of that game.
I think that makes sense personally. It's in our best interest to get to the championship vs Houston. That way the committee just pencils us in, and moves us into bubble game if we lose, or slides another fringe team into bubble game if we win.

Yes, precisely! We want Houston to be in the finals for that reason. If Memphis/Tulsa make the finals, the committee is forced to take the winner rather than deem the game useless to the bracket.

Reaction Score
I would think the AAC warrants 4 ... especially considering how watered down the talent pool is ... when they are trying to sell you on the PAC 12 you know it's a weak field. Any of the 4 teams initially listed plus SMU can compete with the likes of Duke this year.
Is that you, Mike Aresco?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We’re going to get 1 maybe 2.

Reaction Score
3. UConn will be in the same bracket as Arizona State University.
in the first 4 after uconn loses in the aac champ to houston. committee would do something like this for the $. let's not forget that dolla dolla bills are a huge motivating factor for them. even if we dont deserve it, which we probably wouldnt in this situation lol.

Reaction Score
We're in the "Another 4" Category so let's say we need to jump 10 or 11 of these teams to get in. The good news is these teams have tough conference tourney paths. Hopefully there are zero more Q1 wins between them, just a couple of Q2 wins, and UConn gets two more Q1 wins.

even If this is how things plays out can we jump high enough? I've bolded projected Q1 wins, underlined Q2 wins and italicized Q3 wins.

Last Four In
Stanford- Cal (W) > UCLA (L)
Indiana- Nebraska (W) > Penn St (L)
Texas- Texas Tech (L)
NC State- Wake (W) > Duke (L)
First Four Out
Richmond- Davidson (W) > URI (L)
Xavier- Depaul (W) > Nova (L)
Wichita State- UConn (L)
Memphis- ECU (W) > Tulsa (W) > Houston (L)
Next Four Out
Mississippi State- Florida (L)
Tulsa- Memphis (L)
Purdue- OSU (L)
UNI- Drake (L)

UConn- Tulane (W) > WSU (W) > Cincy (W currently NET 51)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
in the first 4 after uconn loses in the aac champ to houston. committee would do something like this for the $. let's not forget that dolla dolla bills are a huge motivating factor for them. even if we dont deserve it, which we probably wouldnt in this situation lol.

Butch, this you?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom