How long have you been attending UConn games? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How long have you been attending UConn games?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Since 1995....

Only when you've been at Carolina or Tennessee....Never been to Storrs.

I imagine it would be a fun atmosphere in Storrs!! Can you take the train from NYC to Storrs? Is that possible? That's would be what make's it fun for me.
I don't think so. Storrs is one of those "you can't get there from here" places.

I think you could catch them at the XL in Hartford though, using a train from NYC.

Reaction Score
I'm retiring also in a couple of years (55) but I'm torn between Seattle and Minneapolis. I love, love, love Seattle and have family there and have been to a UW football game and several Mariners games. Minneapolis is where my heart is. I have attended a University of Minnesota Hockey game against Penn State and a Twins game. Hockey is something I could learn to like a lot.

Of all the places I've ever been (and I've been all over America), Minneapolis is the friendliest, most welcoming place I've ever been to. For me, I could care less if I ever go back to California, Florida, or any of the Gulf States except for Texas (I do like Austin). I thought for many years, I would retire in Asheville but I may just keep my Tennessee house since it's 35 minutes north of Asheville on the Tennessee side of the border. I will need to keep a residence in the south as I own rental property in TN and NC.

Give Minneapolis a try!!! You won't regret it!!
For old folks like you--Seattle is best. They have the most trained in CPR. If you are attacked by your heart on the street , 4 people shall come to your aid. In Minnesota, my grand father founded a town there in the 1800's, you'll freeze. With out coal or gas --you'll be chopping a lot of wood.
I was at Bradley Airport as the first 4 Championship teams (Women) arrived home after winning NC's.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In terms of attending games in person, living in Maryland I don't have the opportunities that others have for attending games. My first live game was UConn at Maryland at College Park when may daughter was going to nursing school at Maryland. That was the Katie Lou "Barf" game so that would have been in 2016. That was one heck of a game to start with as Destiny Slocum put on a show and the Huskies pulled out a win in a nail biter.

My wife and I saw two games last year. The tough loss to Maryland where Ines had to play a lot of minutes at point as Nika wasn't available and the away game at Georgetown, which was another grind it out game. The UConn game at Georgetown this year sold out before we could get tickets. We've also tried to get tickets to UConn at Villanova for the past few seasons, but they also sell out quickly.

We're making our first trip to Storrs this year for the Georgetown at UConn game which happens to be Senior Day. Looking forward to it. Fan for 30 years and averaging one live game per decade. :D

Reaction Score
It's odd that you say the Georgetown game was sold out. We were at that game and there were many empty seats in the sections along both baselines.

Reaction Score
It's odd that you say the Georgetown game was sold out. We were at that game and there were many empty seats in the sections along both baselines.
Guess I should have looked harder. Maybe resale tickets would have come available.

Reaction Score
My first game was in 1994, the year before the first championship. My all-time favorite in-person game was against Tennessee in a packed Hartford Civic Center during a raging blizzard. I believe it was in 2000. The crowd was electric.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I used to come down from Northeastern to visit friends at UConn in the mid 60's. We would go to either football or basketball games depending on the season. One time in January we 'lost' one of my friends from Boston after the game. Found him the next morning sleeping in an unlocked car in the freezing parking lot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My first game on TV was the disappointing loss to NC State in the late 1990s. My first in-person game was the 2000 Final Four in Philly. I’ve seen them at Gampel, XL, Mohegan Sun, Villanova, Temple, Georgetown (2 arenas), MSG, Newark, UCLA, Bahamas, Albany, and Bridgeport, plus Final Fours in Philly, St. Louis, Tampa, New Orleans (2x), San Antonio (2x), Nashville, and Columbus. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
A longwinded answer to the question. From the summer of 1994 until early 1997, I worked at UConn and employed a several graduate students workers in the fall of 1994. We were all basketball fans and one of them who had been part of the UConn pep band told us that the women’s team was going to be real good the upcoming season and that it was real easy to get tickets. I attended about a dozen games during that season, including the justly famous game against the #1 Tennessee on Martin Luther Day on January 16, 1995. At that time before women’s basketball became big business, it was easy to get general admission tickets in the student section behind the home basket. After the students who generally filled up about three rows had acquired their tickets (probably without cost), the section was opened up to the public. One could walk over to the ticket office a few days before the game and purchase a ticket for a nominal price. It may have been as low at 50 cents, but I don’t remember. We waited outside the entrance until the doors opened and we could rush to the seats behind those purchased by students. I probably attended the first home game of the season on November 26 against Morgan State, a 107-27 victory. I had a t-shirt from the 1994 Super Show that occurred about two weeks before the first game. What a terrific team! Also attended the Eastern Regional games against Alabama and Virginia, the latter game being the first of the season in which the Huskies were behind a halftime. My wife and I also attended the celebration at Gamble after the team returned home from Minneapolis. What a ride!

Reaction Score
Since 1995....

Only when you've been at Carolina or Tennessee....Never been to Storrs.

I imagine it would be a fun atmosphere in Storrs!! Can you take the train from NYC to Storrs? Is that possible? That's would be what make's it fun for me.
That made me laugh. You can just barely get to Storrs by car.

Having said that, I think there used to be a train station or a trolly stop on Rt. 44 in Bolton (I think). Was turned into a restaurant which is now gone. This might have been the restaurant where Geno had the famous altercation with Brittany Hunters parents over the quality of UConn as an academic institution (but I could be wrong again).

Reaction Score
My first game was in 1994, the year before the first championship. My all-time favorite in-person game was against Tennessee in a packed Hartford Civic Center during a raging blizzard. I believe it was in 2000. The crowd was electric.
That would've been a lot of fun.

Reaction Score
My first Women’s game on campus was the 90/91 season after Gampel opened. I think I also saw them play at St. John’s in 89/90. I think the tickets in 90/91 were $5, kids free, lol. Rizzoti was from the town we lived in at the time and as a family, we were hooked. Her dad worked at IBM in Japan and they moved back. I had heard that the High School coach could not go to sleep after the first tryout, he was too excited.

Reaction Score
Generally just enjoy reading comments but had to jump in here. Being a Vernon/Rockville native my first game was 1960. Have memories of Jack Rose, Johnnie P. , Dale Comey. As. Billie Greer at my middle and was a thrill whenever she would have her husband Hugh Greer come coach one of our games. So sad that we lost him so young. Went on to attend UConn, class of 69. In those days had three teams, freshmen,JV, and varsity. In those days had a guy named Wes Balusuknia (sp) playing in the old field house. I imagine you ballers remember him. He could shoot. Can’t remember if he overlapped with Toby Kimball, probably one of the fiercest rebounders I’ve ever seen. Remained a season ticket holder for the men until I retired in 2004. With the opening of Gampel in 1990 ( still have the program from that night) became a women’s fan also. Loved it when the women’s big east tournament was held at gampel. Bball morning to night. Even waited for the leaking roof to be fixed one night, stopped the tournament mid game. May be in South Carolina but we still never miss a game on TV. What memories, what a ride, at it still continues. Life is good being a Husky.

Reaction Score
I went to my first UConn women's basketball game while I was a grad student at UConn during the 1982-83 season. I was looking for cheap entertainment, and at that time the women's basketball home games at UConn were free. Nothing cheaper than free, that's for sure. I quickly became a fan of the team, even if they were not all that good in those days. I continued going to UConn home games until I graduated from UConn in 1985 and moved away from campus.

I continued to follow news about the team (I remember talking to a guy at work about the team during that time), but did not resume going to games until the 1991-92 season, the season after they were in their first NCAA final four. I recall watching UConn's regional games in Philadelphia on television, as well as their game in the final four.

My wife and I went to almost every home game during the next few years. The season after UConn won its first national championship, we became season ticket holders for the 1995-96 season. We have been season ticket holders for games at Gampel ever since that time.

Reaction Score
I don't think so. Storrs is one of those "you can't get there from here" places.

I think you could catch them at the XL in Hartford though, using a train from NYC.
Yes you can get trains from Penn Station (NYC) to Hartford and the XL center is about two blocks from the train station. As others have said no train service to Storrs.

Reaction Score
Was that the game DT hit the 70 foot shot at the buzzer? I was there, but the memory is a victim of too many dead brain cells...

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
That made me laugh. You can just barely get to Storrs by car.

Having said that, I think there used to be a train station or a trolly stop on Rt. 44 in Bolton (I think). Was turned into a restaurant which is now gone. This might have been the restaurant where Geno had the famous altercation with Brittany Hunters parents over the quality of UConn as an academic institution (but I could be wrong again).

The Depot restaurant was in Mansfield. Except for the caboose attached to one side, it burned down July 2, 2003. I lived on route 32 (Stafford Rd) in Eagleville and ate at the Depot a number of times. It was interesting when a freight train rumbled by, and the food was pretty decent when I was there.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

yes, the Hartford train station is an easy (and safe) walk to the XL Center. Is Coach’s still in that area?

Reaction Score
The Depot restaurant was in Mansfield. Except for the caboose attached to one side, it burned down July 2, 2003. I lived on route 32 (Stafford Rd) in Eagleville and ate at the Depot a number of times. It was interesting when a freight train rumbled by, and the food was pretty decent when I was there.

I remember the Depot restaurant in Mansfield, my wife and I went to it a number of times before it burned down.

Reaction Score

I’ve been a HUGE UCONN fan since ‘95 and saw my 1st game IN PERSON 2 nights ago when the Huskies came to play Marquette. I live in Green Bay which is about an hour & 45 minutes north of Milwaukee. Definitely the most fun I’ve ever had at a college game (with the exception of the scary 3-4 minutes when Paige was on the court in pain). Sending the best to every UCONN in Husky Nation from Green Bay!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom