• Recently (Ollie era)

Votes: 5 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
1967...I clearly remember my dad taking me to the old Fieldhouse to see the 14th ranked University of Hawaii Rainbows. They had really cool uniforms. My serious fandom started in the Corny Thompson/Mike Mckay era.
Hey Sky
I was there too and all the students were talking about the uniforms and "how cool and far out" they were
My father thought they were hideous

Reaction Score
1966 left NHS and Calvin Murphy moved to UConn in Storrs. Original plan was one year at UConn then to Air Force Academy for which I had a congressional appt. But things were pretty political then, I became educated, changed my world view and decided to remain at UConn, graduating in Spring of 1971.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Started listening and going to games when I was in high school, 1963-65. Loved listening to WTIC but it was like fingernails on a chalkboard whenever George Erlick (SP) referred to the team as "the UConn's" instead of "the Huskies"

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a player during the Wes B years that was even better but got hurt? I am think he was a year or two older?
Billy Holowaty was an outstanding player as a freshman, but suffered a serious knee injury before his sophomore year and did not play until junior year. It seemed he never regained his form and while he played two years and contributed, he was not able to achieve the stardom he seemed destined for as a frosh. And, yes, many thought he was a better player as a frosh than Wonderful Wes.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
My Dad brought me to the New Hampshire game in 67 for my first live game when Wes hit for 42. Had big dreams about being nationally relevant in hoops some day which was nice to see happen. Sometimes one step forward, two steps back but we got there. The day JC took the job is still one of the greatest in Husky history.
Wow, pretty sure that was my first game also!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
75-76, just before end of the Dee Rowe era. Many games at the Fieldhouse watching Hanson, Wheldon, Thomas & Co.

Reaction Score
Wasn't there a player during the Wes B years that was even better but got hurt? I am think he was a year or two older?

Toby Kimball and Wes B usually get mentioned in the same breath. My parents were at UConn then and they always mention both at the same time. Toby was older by 2-3 years.

Reaction Score

As Shakes and Hoopbound said, Toby Kimball and Bill Holowaty were the two that came to my mind. But Kimball never really got hurt so I think you're referring to Holowaty. Toby Kimball and Ed Slomcenski were the "big" inside presence for UConn. I believe Kimball was only 6'8" and went on to a fairly long and successful NBA career primarily as a back up center while Slomcenski at 6' 10" never really had an NBA career. Along with these three I believe Perno and Hesford made up the remainder to the starting five that beat Princeton with Bill Bradley to move into the Regional Finals against a Duke team that blew them out. But it was a quality team. Just didn't have enough firepower for really good Duke team.

Reaction Score
As Shakes and Hoopbound said, Toby Kimball and Bill Holowaty were the two that came to my mind. But Kimball never really got hurt so I think you're referring to Holowaty. Toby Kimball and Ed Slomcenski were the "big" inside presence for UConn. I believe Kimball was only 6'8" and went on to a fairly long and successful NBA career primarily as a back up center while Slomcenski at 6' 10" never really had an NBA career. Along with these three I believe Perno and Hesford made up the remainder to the starting five that beat Princeton with Bill Bradley to move into the Regional Finals against a Duke team that blew them out. But it was a quality team. Just didn't have enough firepower for really good Duke team.

Oops, I forgot to add the great Wes Bialiasuknia, "the Poughkeepsie Popper" to the starting five (six). A layup to Wes was a shot from the top of the key. I remember listening on WTIC as he played Maine and scored 52points. The second he stepped over the half court line he could stop and pop. Usually making the shot. If he had the advantage of a 3 point line he could have scored 75 to 80 points.

Reaction Score
My Dad brought me to the New Hampshire game in 67 for my first live game when Wes hit for 42. Had big dreams about being nationally relevant in hoops some day which was nice to see happen. Sometimes one step forward, two steps back but we got there. The day JC took the job is still one of the greatest in Husky history.

Reaction Score
Hey jdb 50. Did you see my earlier post? That was my first game also! I think I could tell you the numbers worn by every player since 1963. I have lived and died with every game since then. The most emotional moment I have had after a game was after beating Gonzaga in 1999 to make the final 4. I cried like a baby.

Reaction Score
Oops, I forgot to add the great Wes Bialiasuknia, "the Poughkeepsie Popper" to the starting five (six). A layup to Wes was a shot from the top of the key. I remember listening on WTIC as he played Maine and scored 52points. The second he stepped over the half court line he could stop and pop. Usually making the shot. If he had the advantage of a 3 point line he could have scored 75 to 80 points.

Reaction Score
Bialosknia's career high was 50. Only lasted 1 year as the all time single game record only to be broken by Bill Corley's 51. Was I ever ticked about that!

Reaction Score
I applied to go to UConn in the fall of 1986 and knew it was my #1 choice. I grew up in western Mass so I was able to follow UConn hoops pretty easily in the newspapers, radio and some local TV. That also just happened to be JC's first year. I was a freshman in the fall of 1987 and have been hooked ever since. Went to games at Syracuse, PC, Nova, and UNC during my time as a student and ran on to MSG court when we won our first BET championship in 1990 and celebrated with the players. Great freaking memories.

I never missed a home game in 4 years there and it hurts to see the apathetic student sections when I go to Gampel the last few years - half empty is inexcusable.

Reaction Score
Bialosknia's career high was 50. Only lasted 1 year as the all time single game record only to be broken by Bill Corley's 51. Was I ever ticked about that!

I stand corrected. Thank you!!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Fred Shabel era. Wes B, Tom
Penders and Bill Holowaty were my classmates.

Reaction Score
My family had UConn and UHart season tickets at the Civic Center in the 80's but I was too young to really remember or care until 1989-90. The first game I remember being there was Georgetown in 1990 and I've been hooked ever since. I guess I became a fan when UConn really came to power but I attended games obliviously for a few years beforehand.

Reaction Score
Hey jdb 50. Did you see my earlier post? That was my first game also! I think I could tell you the numbers worn by every player since 1963. I have lived and died with every game since then. The most emotional moment I have had after a game was after beating Gonzaga in 1999 to make the final 4. I cried like a baby.

That's an odd coincidence, I kept the program for a while but it got lost with all the moves after leaving home. Remember sitting a couple rows up behind the New Hampshire bench. Went to see the team off at Gampel when they went to that Final Four in 99. The fan support was insane back then.

Reaction Score
I also remember going to Women's games in the very early 90's at Gampel. I don't know how much tickets were then, maybe $5? I think children may have even gone in for free. The crowd was well, way different than it is now. Much more Woman focused. Anyways it was a good time especially when I got pulled out of CCD to go.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

There's no question in my mind that if the three point line had existed during Bialosuknia's three season career, he would still be the leading scorer in school history, even though many that have followed had the benefit of four year eligibility. He was the "Pistol" Pete Maravich of the Northeast. Wes still holds the record for the all time UCONN single season scoring average. He scored over 28 ppg during his senior season. That average would have easily been 35+ if Wes was shooting with the three point arc. He routinely hit several shots per game from three point territory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy