How long does Geno plan to keep coaching? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How long does Geno plan to keep coaching?

Reaction Score
I want Geno to coach until he reaches the Holy Grail, the winningest coach in Women's college BB history. His only impediment is Tara. When she retires, he will be free to reach the Holy Grail, as there is NO-ONE that is coaching now to challenge it. Uconn owns almost every record in Women's college BB that exists and this is the top one. GO GENO!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno's time to retire is coming soon. CD will retire with him, while a gap year, 1 or 2 years would definitely help the program. I think the new coach will be Sue Bird. She has all of the experience and knowledge regarding basketball a player could have. As a legendary point guard what could be better. Also, she has the personality, personal poise and charisma to carry on with the program excellence that Geno and CD have developed. Finally, Sue Bird would be a great recruiter; and she would be able to attract young women to the Uconn program. Wouldn't she embody the Uconn tradition? Who could resist Sue Bird? Sue Bird is the next generation person to carry on the Uconn tradition and give it a great new dimension and direction. Go Sue

I guess you have not been paying attention. Sue Bird has made it very clear she does not to coach. Diana has said the same thing.

Your reasoning is faulty. Personality, charisma is not near enough to carry a program forward. The head coach job is so so much more. The head coach position it a lot more difficult than personally. Evaluating recruits, X's and O's, skill drills for developing recruits, matching recruits with program needs. Just the tip of the iceberg.

Being a head coach is a totally different world than being a star athlete. And I doubt that UConn would consider a cabndidate with no coaching experience. This is not about being a Sue Bird fan. It is what is the right move for the program.

Reaction Score
As Connecticut knows well, although even that failed effort produced a national championship for us on the men’s side.

Being a legacy player as the primary reason for hiring, a coach is foolish. Too often the coaches successor is an assistant brought on expressly to ease the transition. That fails fairly routinely. But if you have an alumna, who is also a successful coach with the traits you’re looking for, it makes little sense to exclude them, just because they’ve been in the program previously.

That said, I’m not sure what to make of this boards obsession with talking about Geno’s retirement. Enjoy him while he’s here. They’ll be plenty of opportunity to whine, worry, and postulate after he has made the decision to leave.

I'm not sure why it's a hot topic at this time. Sure, he will retire in the next few year. I don't think catching/passing Tara's number have anything to do with his decision as some have said. His legacy as the most successful coach ever is firmly established without that little ornament. He knows the truth and so does everybody else. But why discuss this now as he leads your team into the tournament?

I can't see this being Geno's last tournament. Especially in light of the fact that he has the championship favorite team for nest year with a healthy Paige/Azzi/Aliyah nucleus. I could see him wanting one (or two) more. After Paige matriculates? Maybe. After Azzi? Maybe.

Retirement is the ammunition of your rivals in recruiting. Why feed it on this board? - at this time?

sun

Reaction Score
The NCAA's expansion of the coaching staff is a clear sign that WCBB has become a much bigger business than it ever has before. The additional costs, international recruitment efforts, transfer portal responsibilities as well as coaching all of the players is being acknowledged as requiring more effort & more staff to remain competitive on the court & to be financially sustainable. That should be the major consideration at this point in Geno's career, how to keep Geno from retiring sooner rather than later by doing everything possible to make his job easier and not more difficult.
UConn should take advantage of the new rule or it could fall behind in being able to prepare players for elite competition. Geno relies on his staff, and if he could use more staff then he should be able to get it as way to spread out more of the responsibilities. Geno has alluded to shortcomings with the staff as part of the problem with this year's team. With more incoming players next year UConn should hire more staff. Other schools are doing it and they have much younger coachers. As the nature of the game & the business of WCBB changes, if a school stands still it's like falling behind.
The NCAA will soon begin paying prize money for women's March Madness, & WCBB will become an even more important way for successful programs to earn money to pay for sports. Especially for schools that don't receive huge amounts of TV money.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
The NCAA's expansion of the coaching staff is a clear sign that WCBB has become a much bigger business than it ever has before. The additional costs, international recruitment efforts, transfer portal responsibilities as well as coaching all of the players is being acknowledged as requiring more effort & more staff to remain competitive on the court & to be financially sustainable. That should be the major consideration at this point in Geno's career, how to keep Geno from retiring sooner rather than later by doing everything possible to make his job easier and not more difficult.
UConn should take advantage of the new rule or it could fall behind in being able to prepare players for elite competition. Geno relies on his staff, and if he could use more staff then he should be able to get it as way to spread out more of the responsibilities. Geno has alluded to shortcomings with the staff as part of the problem with this year's team. With more incoming players next year UConn should hire more staff. Other schools are doing it and they have much younger coachers. As the nature of the game & the business of WCBB changes, if a school stands still it's like falling behind.
The NCAA will soon begin paying prize money for women's March Madness, so WCBB will become an important way for successful programs to earn money to pay for sports.
Is this a fact? An NCAA plan that I missed? Or is this something you surmise from the growth of TV viewers this year? Wouldn't argue with you. Just curious.

sun

Reaction Score
Is this a fact? An NCAA plan that I missed? Or is this something you surmise from the growth of TV viewers this year? Wouldn't argue with you. Just curious.
Yes I believe that it has already been passed. I posted a link about it on Page 1, post #7 of this thread.
This led to Shea Ralph hiring Katie Lou as a new assistant coach at Vandy which was a previous topic.

Reaction Score
Huskynut you misrepresented what I said in my post. I didn't say or infer that personality and charisma is all that is needed to be a HC. Also, while Sue Bird may have said she doesn't want to be a coach, I'm hoping she can be persuaded. DT is a different story. I don't think she (DT) would be a great HC at Uconn. However, Sue very much has the knowledge of how college level (D1) basketball works. She may be the exception!!! She knows the X's and O's, evaluating recruits and skill drills, player development programs, and other aspects of the craft. I'm sure that you understand that, as a point guard and leader of teams, she has mastered all of these abilities. As a pro coaches representative on the ball court, she knows how to run a team, re franchise. My point is that, above all else, she has the knowledge and experience plus the personal qualities to be an upper level basketball (executive) leader or head coach. I digress....

Reaction Score
How about Lindy LaRocque. She is the current coach at UNLV, was an assistant with Tara at Stanford and has family ties to the NE, and she can coach. UCONN was nothing when Geno arrived and I think they will need another young coach when he leaves that can build their own legacy. Lindy is in her early 30s so she should have a long future ahead of her and I think she will be at a bigger, better place when Geno finally throws in the towel.

Reaction Score
Huskynut you misrepresented what I said in my post. I didn't say or infer that personality and charisma is all that is needed to be a HC. Also, while Sue Bird may have said she doesn't want to be a coach, I'm hoping she can be persuaded. DT is a different story. I don't think she (DT) would be a great HC at Uconn. However, Sue very much has the knowledge of how college level (D1) basketball works. She may be the exception!!! She knows the X's and O's, evaluating recruits and skill drills, player development programs, and other aspects of the craft. I'm sure that you understand that, as a point guard and leader of teams, she has mastered all of these abilities. As a pro coaches representative on the ball court, she knows how to run a team, re franchise. My point is that, above all else, she has the knowledge and experience plus the personal qualities to be an upper level basketball (executive) leader or head coach. I digress....
Bird said she doesn't want to coach and she would never live in Storrs. Take the hint.

sun

Reaction Score
Here's a good & frree article about Jen being fired from GW & her future plans.
It gives some perspective to her coaching situation at the time with covid and other issues going on at GW.
She led UHart to the NCAAT 6 times.
It's titled "Rizzotti takes look at her career after being fired from GW" published March 24, 2021.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Assuming Geno remains health, I would predict he coaches at least 5 more years.

Reactions: mmt

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
To bad Sue Bird doesn't want to coach. Hopefully she stays involved in the game in some way she has so much to offer.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents, get Maya Moore on the coaching staff soon. I would listen closely if she came to my house to
recruit my daughter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom