How hard will it be for UConn to repeat as NCAA champion? | The Boneyard

How hard will it be for UConn to repeat as NCAA champion?

Reaction Score
"Look, it's a one-game, six-game thing," Krzyzewski said. "Anything can happen in a game — an injury, a call, the other team is just a little bit better than you. So, to win the whole thing is crazy. And, if you do it twice in a row, that's nuts. He's lost some of his guys. The thing is, you rack 'em up and start playing again. He's going to be at Connecticut for a long time, so they'll have really outstanding teams over and over."

Alternate access:

How hard will it be for UConn to repeat as NCAA champion? Mike Krzyzewski, Billy Donovan explain: 'Beyond hard'

Reaction Score
This is a great read! Amazing perspective from both coaches

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The last team to do it (Florida) was fortunate enough to have all starters return for the second run. The one before that (Duke) brought back at least three starters (Laettner, Hurley, Hill) all who were as good at the college level as any who have played since.

Prior to that, you have to go back to before players left early for the draft.

In this day and age it is not an easy thing to accomplish. Hell, UNLV, a team that many believe was the best since the UCLA dynasty days brought everyone back and they couldn't pull it off.

Reaction Score
1655835574466.jpeg

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Another National Championship would be awful nice, but not likely realistic.

I would love to have a run of BE championships (regular & tourney). Let's make the Elite8 each of the next 5-7 years with multiple Final4's.

I think the main reason Husky detractors are able to take shots at us is that since 2009, our championship runs came unexpectedly. Everyone forgets consistent JC had the machine running from 1990-2009. Every 4 or 5 years we would have an off season - but when JC's teams were good, they took no prisoners.

Reaction Score
Very optimistic for this coming season due to a strong starting lineup and what appears to be significant depth. Even more stoked for the long term success of the program given the apparent excellence in recruiting, culture, player development, chemistry, etc that Coach Hurley has developed.

Reaction Score
I created a thread a few days after we won about our results the season after a title. It's so tough. I do think we are in position with the returning players + transfer + freshman to do better than the previous four.

1999-2000
Preseason Rank: AP #1
End of Season Result: 25-10, 5-seed, L 2nd Round

2004-2005
Preseason Rank: AP #8
End of Season Result: 23-8, 2-seed, L 2nd Round

2011-2012
Preseason Rank: AP #4
End of Season Result: 20-14, 9-seed, L 1st Round

2014-2015
Preseason Rank: AP #17
End of Season Result: 20-15, Missed NCAAs, L 1st Round of NIT

Reaction Score
Well duh but so is winning one. Not thinking of it as defending a title thinking of it as a team try to win the national championship in 2024. Enjoy the journey before you enjoy the end result.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
The last team to do it (Florida) was fortunate enough to have all starters return for the second run. The one before that (Duke) brought back at least three starters (Laettner, Hurley, Hill) all who were as good at the college level as any who have played since.

Prior to that, you have to go back to before players left early for the draft.

In this day and age it is not an easy thing to accomplish. Hell, UNLV, a team that many believe was the best since the UCLA dynasty days brought everyone back and they couldn't pull it off.
I believe that Florida benefited 100% by us being upset for one of those championships

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
What helps is we have 5 good freshmen that had nothing to do with the championship and just want to establish themselves. Hopefully they’re cocky and egotistical enough to not care about the championship. Cam wasn’t here either so that’s 6 players that are more focused about establishing themselves and won’t fill any pressure. The boatload of the pressure will be on Clingdan , Newton and the Coaching staff.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe that Florida benefited 100% by us being upset for one of those championships
They absolutely did. One interesting side note is that the two who repeated after it became common for players to leave early for the NBA (Duke, Florida) were a year ahead of schedule with the first of the two.

If we had been well enough motivated to get to the final four we would have been a very difficult matchup for Florida (and would have brought our A game for an opponent that talented). If UNLV hadn't had such an easy time beating Duke the prior year, the outcome of that national semifinal would have been different.

In each case, the national semifinal loser (Duke, Florida) would have been the heavy favorite to win the subsequent season.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Why? I want another National Championship. Imagine passing Duke in titles lmao
I would love nothing more than adding another reason we can poop (I’d love to use a different word here but filter) on Duke fans. Just being realistic. Lol

We haven't won our conference in a long time. That can be an attainable goal we can strive for and riot if we don't win. :)

Reaction Score
Hurley's style and our defense keeps the fouls down too - can't let the officials decide the game for us.

Reaction Score
I would be perfectly happy with a Big East Championship and Sweet 16.
This team is a top 10 team if healthy. So elite 8 and free roll beyond that. Hopefully get more respect in the seeding this year

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom