How Do You Measure Greatness? | The Boneyard

How Do You Measure Greatness?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My wife and I took in the game yesterday at the XL Center. We got there a little late, ended up parking on the 6th floor of the parking garage across the street and just got to our seats for the opening tip.

As with any UConn game, the crowd was loud and enthusiastic, although the cheering seemed oddly “high pitched?” I learned why at halftime. Since it was Presidents Day, there was no school. At halftime, the Jumbotron listed 100s of youth league, middle school and high school girls’ basketball teams from all over CT that were in attendance.

As for the game, it was a tale of two halves. In the 1st half, Jim Flannery’s Bluejays played outstanding basketball at both ends of the court and hit several tough shots against a UConn team that, quite frankly, looked tired, ending the half tied at 31. During half time Geno made a few adjustments, the Huskies came out with energy, locked down on defense, started to knock down shots, blowing out Creighton by 20 points.

Since my wife and I knew we weren’t getting out of the parking garage anytime soon, we decided to sit back in our seats and relax after the game ended. We were probably in our seats for 30+ minutes. Most fans had left, players and coaches were in their locker rooms and media companies were packing up. But I observed something wonderful that I have now seen at just about every recent UConn game I attended in person.

In one corner of the arena, down around courtside, there was a very large crowd of energetic fans, most of whom were young girls. In the middle of the crowd was Paige. She was patiently signing autographs, snapping selfies and conversing with hundreds of young fans. Paige had just played an exhausting 39 out of 40 minutes in the game, scoring 24 points, pulling down 6 rebounds with an assist, 2 steals and 3 blocks. But she still had enough energy after the game to interact with hundreds of fans, something she’s been doing ever since high school.

When we measure basketball greatness, we tend to look at individual statistics, POY awards and championships. Paige has all of those. But if you ask me, the true measure of greatness lies not in what someone achieves for themselves, but in what they give to others. Many years from now, when those young girls at XL today are as old as some of us here today on the Boneyard, they’ll tell their children and grandchildren the story of the day they met Paige Bueckers, and then they will pull out their cherished selfie or autographed memorabilia to show everyone.

Reaction Score
My wife and I took in the game yesterday at the XL Center. We got there a little late, ended up parking on the 6th floor of the parking garage across the street and just got to our seats for the opening tip.

As with any UConn game, the crowd was loud and enthusiastic, although the cheering seemed oddly “high pitched?” I learned why at halftime. Since it was Presidents Day, there was no school. At halftime, the Jumbotron listed 100s of youth league, middle school and high school girls’ basketball teams from all over CT that were in attendance.

As for the game, it was a tale of two halves. In the 1st half, Jim Flannery’s Bluejays played outstanding basketball at both ends of the court and hit several tough shots against a UConn team that, quite frankly, looked tired, ending the half tied at 31. During half time Geno made a few adjustments, the Huskies came out with energy, locked down on defense, started to knock down shots, blowing out Creighton by 20 points.

Since my wife and I knew we weren’t getting out of the parking garage anytime soon, we decided to sit back in our seats and relax after the game ended. We were probably in our seats for 30+ minutes. Most fans had left, players and coaches were in their locker rooms and media companies were packing up. But I observed something wonderful that I have now seen at just about every recent UConn game I attended in person.

In one corner of the arena, down around courtside, there was a very large crowd of energetic fans, most of whom were young girls. In the middle of the crowd was Paige. She was patiently signing autographs, snapping selfies and conversing with hundreds of young fans. Paige had just played an exhausting 39 out of 40 minutes in the game, scoring 24 points, pulling down 6 rebounds with an assist, 2 steals and 3 blocks. But she still had enough energy after the game to interact with hundreds of fans, something she’s been doing ever since high school.

When we measure basketball greatness, we tend to look at individual statistics, POY awards and championships. Paige has all of those. But if you ask me, the true measure of greatness lies not in what someone achieves for themselves, but in what they give to others. Many years from now, when those young girls at XL today are as old as some of us here today on the Boneyard, they’ll tell their children and grandchildren the story of the day they met Paige Bueckers, and then they will pull out their cherished selfie or autographed memorabilia to show everyone.
Great post. Thank you @oldude ~~

Reaction Score

There is a quote from her saying she stays and signs every autograph request until she is pulled.

Reaction Score

Yes, she has that incredible quality about her. I was at the Seton Hall game at Walsh this year and she did the same thing both after the game on the court and at the bus. She is inspiring a generation of young girls to play, to achieve and to be great too.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In my OP I mentioned how exhausted Paige was after the game. Today I watched the game telecast. In the 4th qtr their were closeups of Paige after play stoppages with her hands on her hips, taking one deep breath after another to catch her wind. As a freshmen, with 3 upperclassmen on the court taking much of the responsibility, Paige's play seemed effortless on her way to being named the consensus NPOY.

Paige is playing so much harder than she ever has before. This is her team and she is leading it. Paige is playing out of position at the power forward spot, matched up with opposing Bigs, banging in the post and switching all over the court. She leads the teams in blocks, is 2nd in rebounds behind Aaliyah and is 2nd in steals, just behind KK.

While Caitlin Clark will be the consensus NPOY, and deservedly so, IMO Paige should be considered for the NDPOY. On defense she never stops, stays connected with all her teammates, communicates switches and plays on ball defense as tough as anyone in the country. If there is a better defensive player in WBB than Paige, I haven't seen them.

Reaction Score

That is why Paige is Paige. She has this colossal love of BB and being a Husky. Paige is the epitome of what a great BB player should be. All credit to Breanna,Maya, Diana, and all the other great players of bygone games. I believe Paige is the face of Uconn and what Uconn stands for. GO PAIGE!!! GO FRESHMEN!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In my OP I mentioned how exhausted Paige was after the game. Today I watched the game telecast. In the 4th qtr their were closeups of Paige after play stoppages with her hands on her hips, taking one deep breath after another to catch her wind. As a freshmen, with 3 upperclassmen on the court taking much of the responsibility, Paige's play seemed effortless on her way to being named the consensus NPOY.

Paige is playing so much harder than she ever has before. This is her team and she is leading it. Paige is playing out of position at the power forward spot, matched up with opposing Bigs, banging in the post and switching all over the court. She leads the teams in blocks, is 2nd in rebounds behind Aaliyah and is 2nd in steals, just behind KK.

While Caitlin Clark will be the consensus NPOY, and deservedly so, IMO Paige should be considered for the NDPOY. On defense she never stops, stays connected with all her teammates, communicates switches and plays on ball defense as tough as anyone in the country. If there is a better defensive player in WBB than Paige, I haven't seen them.

I think the BE DPOY will be one of the Slime Sisters. Not sure which one.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score

As I was leaving the game I couldn't miss the throngs, and I mean throngs, of fans in the corner getting selfies and autographs from both Paige and Aaliyah. God bless them.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Hidalgo. She will probably win it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Old Dude - what a beautiful post. Greatness is not about points scored or rebounds or titles. It is about the soul, the spirit that is within players. Paige is such a humble person. She is mature yet there is still that child-like enthusiasm for the game that she showed in that recent half court shot she made in practice and ran around in pure joy.

We so often talk about making a difference. Paige staying for selfies & autographs is making that difference in many young girls lives.

As fans we are so fortunate to have seen Paige on the court and in our lives.

Reaction Score
I checked this morning, and the measures haven't changed. They are 6' 2", 230 lbs. with one eye that twinkles and one that doesn't. Of course, that's by design. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Paige the Legend started to gather greatness in the 8th grade. Hopkins was a HS powerhouse before she arrived, but she took them to a different place. 8th graders don't play varsity, but she did. I have never seen more video of a high schooler or her team. Paige's promotion of basketball to young girls didn't start at Storrs. It happened at Hopkins and wherever Hopkins went. It ticked up a degree or two when Slam did the unprecedented and gave Paige her own cover and they did a series of videos - day in the life stuff.

So Slam did a video Paige Bueckers & Hopkins Go Road Trippin that caught the fan madness for Paige. I think it was a multigame event because they are approaching the event center and Nnaji said /gestured that she had to swim to get to the locker room last night. Flash to Paige opening the lobby door and let the signing begin!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom