How do you feel about conference tournaments? | The Boneyard

How do you feel about conference tournaments?

Reaction Score
My two cents...

• The biggest driver is revenue. Regardless of the outcome, conference play has pretty much established who the best teams are in a conference.
  • They water down the tournament. Adding some 10-20 team to the field from the bottom of any conference is not exciting.
  • I like mid majors in the tournament, but not the teams they beat on all year...that suddenly got hot for a few games.
  • If bubble teams need a quality win it provides an opportunity, BUT there's a reason you were on the bubble to begin with.
  • I'd rather see a conference all-star game or skills weekend, then rest players for the big dance.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Generally agree with you. Conference tourneys can generate a lot of excitement, but it kinda cheapens the entire 3 month+ regular season in my mind. I don't like to see teams who have dominated their mid major conference stumble for 1 game and miss out on the Big Dance, having their place taken by a not even mediocre team that got hot for a couple days. I honestly would be fine with doing away with them, but that ain't gonna happen. I also think way too much importance gets placed on what happens over a couple days in these tourneys, again at the expense of the long regular season. I'm not sure how much the selection committee is swayed by them, but the talking heads and the general public seem to act like they mean everything.

Reaction Score
They can be fun, like watching underdog teams go through the gauntlet and steal a bid. I personally enjoy that and I like getting to watch conferences I wouldn’t normally watch.

I think the problem is still the lack of parity overall when it comes to the big dance. Even in the men’s side the 16-13 teams usually don’t fare so well, but sometimes one of them can make a small run or at least grab a one game upset. On the women’s side it’s basically impossible right now.

But also, the tourneys give players something to be excited about, I think. Yeah UConn winning the BE tourney year in and year out is just like, whatever for them. For other teams, going on a run and winning their conference tourney might be the biggest accomplishment their players ever get.

In the end it does boil down to revenue, of course, but I can see the personal entertainment value and the value it holds for lesser programs.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
My two cents...

• The biggest driver is revenue. Regardless of the outcome, conference play has pretty much established who the best teams are in a conference.
  • They water down the tournament. Adding some 10-20 team to the field from the bottom of any conference is not exciting.
  • I like mid majors in the tournament, but not the teams they beat on all year...that suddenly got hot for a few games.
  • If bubble teams need a quality win it provides an opportunity, BUT there's a reason you were on the bubble to begin with.
  • I'd rather see a conference all-star game or skills weekend, then rest players for the big dance.
I personally love them. I think they give teams motivation to keep playing and improving throughout the year since they still can make the tournament even if they've had a mediocre regular season. Helps teams to prevent checking out.

Teams are often peak around this time too and are playing the same squads for the 2nd or third time, so you get some intense battles with a lot of emotion and high quality play. If you watched the Big Ten Tournament this year, it was fantastic. Both semis were prime viewing and Iowa put up a ridiculous showing in the championship game. The LSU/Tennessee semifinal was a great game as well, plus in the PAC you had some major upsets and great games. Regionals/conference championships are my favorite weekends for WCBB. For most players/coaches, it's a huge badge of honor to win your conference tournament too.

To me All Star games are bland since players just having fun rather than playing motivated intense basketball. I also can't imagine many coaches would allow their kids to risk injury right before the tournament for a game like that.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Among rhe major six conferences, I only care about watching the ACC. This goes for both the men and the women. I ABSOLUTELY love the rest of the tournaments... I try to watch as many as i can.

Reaction Score
I personally love them. I think they give teams motivation to keep playing and improving throughout the year since they still can make the tournament even if they've had a mediocre regular season. Helps teams to prevent checking out.

Teams are often peak around this time too and are playing the same squads for the 2nd or third time, so you get some intense battles with a lot of emotion and high quality play. If you watched the Big Ten Tournament this year, it was fantastic. Both semis were prime viewing and Iowa put up a ridiculous showing in the championship game. The LSU/Tennessee semifinal was a great game as well, plus in the PAC you had some major upsets and great games. Regionals/conference championships are my favorite weekends for WCBB. For most players/coaches, it's a huge badge of honor to win your conference tournament too.

To me All Star games are bland since players just having fun rather than playing motivated intense basketball. I also can't imagine many coaches would allow their kids to risk injury right before the tournament for a game like that.
I guess I would enjoy seeing a strictly fun period and feature some of the up-and-coming talents. And a lot of these kids know each other and it would be nice if nothing counted...other than being together and closing out the regular season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Hey hey hey. I'm talking in general terms... Not just this season. :mad:
I know, just having a little fun with you. ACC tourney usually produces some excellent games. This year was tough to watch for the most part.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I know, just having a little fun with you. ACC tourney usually produces some excellent games. This year was tough to watch for the most part.

Ha. At least could turn the channel... I had to sit there in the same row as 1) screaming kids with pom poms or 2) little kids who had to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes :oops:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Ha. At least could turn the channel... I had to sit there in the same row as 1) screaming kids with pom poms or 2) little kids who had to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes :oops:
Did you have the one sitting behind you kicking the back of your chair constantly? That's always fun. I like how the parent doesn't do anything about it, even when I've asked them to stop doing it 3 or 4 times.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
People keep wanting to water down the NCAA Tourney by continually lobbying for more teams to be eligible. 64 is a perfect number in my opinion, but now we have 68 and there are always rumors about someone pushing it to 96, then 128. The only reason to do that is so coaches don't get fired for not making the tournament. The conference tournaments effectively are a unrecognized part of March Madness. All of the NCAA Tourney is based on one loss and you're gone. Same holds true for the conference tournaments too. Think Virginia being upset by a 16 seed. If you're out of the tourney, does it really matter if it's in the conference tournament or the NCAA? You're still done and only one team goes undefeated.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The ACC started it all. That was when only one team per conference was allowed to go the National Tournament.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
With most P5 conferences having grown so large that few teams actually play home and home games it is actually really good to have the top teams have to play a second game against each other. Example: LSU beat TN once but couldn't do it a second time. SC proved they could beat TN twice.

As for the 20 dreadful conferences each year ... nice to have a championship, a few more games and someone gets crowned before getting demolished in the first round of the NCAA. Doesn't matter if it is the team that went 17-1 in conference or the team that went 9-9, they aren't getting two games in the NCAA.

The 5 not dreadful non-P5 conferences - maybe they get a second team in to the NCAA because the team that went 17-1 but loses the championship is still getting an 'at-large' bid. And for the best of these conferences maybe you get an unexpected 3rd or 4th or 5th bid.

Don't see the downside. Maybe some moderate team loses early in a conference tournament and loses out on an at-large bid, but just as many moderate teams probably get in because of an unexpected win streak in a conference tournament (Washington State anyone?)

Reaction Score
There are a lot of good points both for and against. For me, it's a chance to see players I may not have had a chance to see during the season, especially the PAC12 and West Coast Conference.

Reaction Score
I am a rare bird. I actually love the conference tournaments. First off, they are a lot of fun! The intensity in conference tournament games is off the charts — teams are playing for a conference championship and the chance to play in March Madness, and for the majority of them, a loss ends their season. Secondly, if March Madness auto bids were given to conference regular-season champions, many conference games, particularly towards the end of the season, would feel meaningless if those bottom teams were out of contention. With a conference tournament, seeding becomes important, making every game worth something. Thirdly, like was pointed out, these conference tournaments are money makers for conferences, allowing them to sell more tickets and earn TV revenue. What is left out of the discussion is, for some teams these conference tournaments are a chance to improve their resume, especially those teams that are on the bubble or improve their standing if they are in the "at-large bid" window.

sun

Reaction Score
The conference tournaments are very important because they're the playoffs just like most pro sports have.
It's the post season for the league.
The regular season allows for player development & experimenting.
And then there's the impact of injuries.
Because the conference champs go on to the NCAAT, they represent the pride of the whole conference & not just their school.
Teams that have split wins & losses during the season are playing rubber matches that are like winner take all, and they're basically playing for pride.
And those efforts provide the bragging rights & memories which will give motivation to next year's returning players.
It's primarily for the players because playing well & to win is a goal of their entire college BB career.
The players are the ones who make the effort & sacrifice all season long, so of course they're going to appreciate playing the tourney games more than the fans do.
It's also about school spirit which many adult fans probably don't remember or care about very much.
For senior players, it's their last chance to play in a meaningful game with their teammates.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom