How do you beat UConn? | The Boneyard

How do you beat UConn?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
During the AAC final ESPN mentioned Jose Fernandez said his team shot 40+% had 12 turnovers and lost by 28 in the final game of the season. Wow. Then the final game. Some differences between UConn and other teams. UConn usually has 5 players on the floor who can dribble and run with the ball. They have a few post players who are mobile have good footwork and quick. They have a relentless defense that no other team can handle because they dont have many good ball handlers, lack quickness and thus cant keep up with UConn.

Proof is when UConn beat Murders Row early in the season then beat MD and SC. Although other teams get better UConn continues to improve as a team. The development in the second half of the season of our non starters has improved. They may not score like the starters but they look much better out there.

So now we wait for Selection Monday.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If they play their best D, like last Monday eve...
They simply can't be beat.

Period.

(I've heard snippets of uber respectful quotes from Maria Jespersen, would love to hear her entire statement).

Reaction Score
I thought we settled this question: the only certain way is that you nail the door shut on the UConn locker room.

Otherwise:
1. You shoot lights out and hope that UConn doesn't. That would most likely be Notre Dame
2. You get Pheesa or Gabby into foul trouble; though you'd probably have to get both of them into foul trouble. That would most likely be South Carolina (Baylor, of course, but who knows if that ship gets righted soon because of Mulkey and the injury).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The only way to beat UConn:

Pray hard that UConn has a very, very bad day. Even though it is still difficult such as FSU, Maryland and Tulane.

Reaction Score
You'll need at least 3-4 starters to have a poor offensive games and the D also has to play poorly, which has not happened too often. On offense, it seems that 1-2 players can pick up the slack when needed, even Saniya. We are going to be a tough out, but we are not as unbeatable as in previous years.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think Collier is the key cog. When she is off the floor for extended periods against a good team, it messes up the works and our movement becomes average. Also our rebounding suffers on the other end.

Sounds simple/basic but a strategy of going at Collier and trying to get her in foul trouble is the best way to make us vulnerable.

Reaction Score
How to beat UCONN??? Hmmmmmm...u just hope they miss their business or plane! Based on how this season went, this may be the only way! Goooooooooo UCONN!!!!! Stay poised and do what you've been doing!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Collier is the key cog. When she is off the floor for extended periods against a good team, it messes up the works and our movement becomes average. Also our rebounding suffers on the other end. Sounds simple/basic but a strategy of going at Collier and trying to get her in foul trouble is the best way to make us vulnerable.
I agree, but I would also say the same thing about Gabby. Gabby is both the most versatile defender & and the best offensive facilitator. When gabby is not out there making havoc on defense or giving out assists from the high post UCONN is not getting easy baskets and that puts too much pressure on the offensive execution and the defense to get stops. It's the perfect ying and yang really, Gabby=Facilitator: Napheesa=Finisher.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A team would have to match UConn's intensity the whole 40 minutes, defend us as well as we defend them, hope the refs allow a lot of bumping on cuts through the key, keep both Lou and Pheesa under 15 points, hope nobody else goes off on them, sneak an extra player on the floor as often as possible, and yell "fire" hoping UConn leaves the building.

Reaction Score
My sympathies go out to Jose Fernandez. I'm sure he and his team were hopeful that they would knock off UCONN in the AAC championship. It was a dream that vanished quickly once the game started.

What has to be realized is that UCONN comes into March with a different mindset - peaking into Tournament shape for the NCAAs. Jose just had the misfortune of being in the path of that preparation Geno is so good at producing.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
My sympathies go out to Jose Fernandez. I'm sure he and his team were hopeful that they would knock off UCONN in the AAC championship. It was a dream that vanished quickly once the game started.

What has to be realized is that UCONN comes into March with a different mindset - peaking into Tournament shape for the NCAAs. Jose just had the misfortune of being in the path of that preparation Geno is so good at producing.

Before the game started I made a bet with myself on how quickly he would burn timeouts early in the game. I lost. He was 2 minutes faster to number 3 than I thought. He'd be better off coaching his team ahead of time but almost alwatpys gets crushed in the first few minutes.

Reaction Score
Before the game started I made a bet with myself on how quickly he would burn timeouts early in the game. I lost. He was 2 minutes faster to number 3 than I thought. He'd be better off coaching his team ahead of time but almost alwatpys gets crushed in the first few minutes.
Did you pay yourself off?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Step 1. Play great defense.
Step 2. Have excellence guard play from 2 players preferably with at least 1 of them having a career night.
Step 3. Hope UConn shoots under 40% and plays crappy defense.

Reaction Score
Uconn beat FSU like a garnet and gold-headed step child for the third time in a row just this year.There was no kind of game plan that this particular slow, heavy-footed team could ever conceive of to ever come close to this more cat-quick, gazelle-like version of huskies. A horrible match up for them to even have the foggiest notion of an upset.

Reaction Score
If they play their best D, like last Monday eve...
They simply can't be beat.

Period.

(I've heard snippets of uber respectful quotes from Maria Jespersen, would love to hear her entire statement).

Get it here...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Uconn beat FSU like a garnet and gold-headed step child for the third time in a row just this year.There was no kind of game plan that this particular slow, heavy-footed team could ever conceive of to ever come close to this more cat-quick, gazelle-like version of huskies. A horrible match up for them to even have the foggiest notion of an upset.
USF, not FSU. UConn beat the pants off of FSU by a staggering 2 points in a game that was never (always) close.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Jose's team didn't make out so well against UCONN in the games that were played in January and February either.

Reaction Score
I think Collier is the key cog. When she is off the floor for extended periods against a good team, it messes up the works and our movement becomes average. Also our rebounding suffers on the other end.

Sounds simple/basic but a strategy of going at Collier and trying to get her in foul trouble is the best way to make us vulnerable.
Spread the defense and pound it to 2 tall, inside players. Looked like this was Baylor's strategy until they got tired.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom