How do the Hurley naysayers want their crow prepared? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How do the Hurley naysayers want their crow prepared?

Reaction Score
People are generally impatient. Then there's this board X100. DH has grown, he's learned, he's matured, he's listened, he's evolved. All the things you would hope of a great leader. Building a program doesn't happen over night or in one or two seasons, like the naysayers wanted. He's a carpenter, not a miracle worker. We are very lucky to have DH as our head coach, and hopefully for many, many years to come. Go UConn!!!
Think about this for a second. Hurley has his Hall of Fame father, coach brother and Jim Calhoun in the bullpen just in case for help but he’s self driven to succeed and puts in massive effort in his building process. One interview he described even wins as something he couldn’t enjoy. It’s finally paying off but we have a tendency to forget that 300 other coaches are all trying to do the same thing. This ain’t close to being easy. Should he get the last one I hope he can enjoy it.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
And the posts of those who said Newton wasn’t any good, Alleyne shouldn’t see the court, Joey C will never play a minute, Donovan won’t play until his junior year because he stayed at Bristol Central… right? All the naysayers posts.

What an amazing amount of wasted time that would be because everyone would be on here.

Move on please enjoy this thing we have together!

You said it better than I did, mau.

We all know what we said.

Reaction Score
The "eat crow" camp is nearly as bad as the "fire hurley" camp. Can we just enjoy success? Y'all make this board a chore to read.
You obviously knew what the thread was about when you clicked on right? I mean it is in the title after all! You can always just choose to ignore it! Go UConn!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Agree 100.

I think we should save any of these crow-eating posts until after Monday night.

But...I was 100% in the "Clingan is not going to be good" camp and definitely did not think Joey C. was going to get any run.

I was pretty convinced Alleyne wouldn't snap out of it and contribute anything, and also pretty confident that PG play would be our downfall.

(I was, however, always a Hurley defender.)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think there’s a difference between naysayers and those that were frustrated. I put myself in the latter camp. I never wanted him out. I just wanted him to be better. And he has been light years better.
"Light years better" LOL! It's complete bollocks to say Hurley has been light years better than when the naysayers were naysaying. He's the same exact coach he was last year and the year before. The main difference is the talent level of the team. His UConn teams have overachieved every year.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I'm not serving up any crow, and certainly not until Tuesday morning at the earliest, but it is pretty remarkable that 3 weeks ago people were talking about how losing to Marquette proved Hurley couldn't win big games, was surely going to lose to Iona, and would be on the hot seat next year.
Show me one post saying he was surely going to lose to Iona. Anyone who says that is dumb and irrelevant.

I think the consensus was being nervous as heck for the Iona game because of implications if we lost.

People were saying he could be on the hot seat next season if he did lose to Iona. Which I think remains potentially true. Luckily that didn’t happen. Winning in the tournament changes the whole equation.

Reaction Score
People usually just pretend they never said what they said. So them eating crow isn't something anyone should look forward to.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah he coached them into that slump so we’d be in the title game. What was I thinking he’s so damn amazing?

Wow!
That’s not what I said lol. Growth isn’t linear, and lots of impatient people here totally overreacted to a January slump. Most teams have a blip at some point in the season and the staff deserves all the credit in the world for putting the players in a position to turn it around

Reaction Score
Naysayers. What a stupid post. He is not above reproach. Every UConn coach has been questioned. Does not mean we/they are naysayers. When JC lost to San Diego or George Mason? Remember that? 2 straight years of losing to a lower seed in the 1st round? That not not only deserves but COMMANDS scrutiny.

Reaction Score
I will admit that I am very surprised that we turned into such an efficient offense. We are running a more complicated, NBA style scheme than any other school I have seen this year. We are unbelievably well coached on offense.

We knew Dan would bring in talent, get them to buy in and play great D. That’s a high floor program. I’m not even sure if this is primarily stemming from Dan or if he is leaning more on the assistants but we have a wonderful tactician somewhere on the sidelines.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of people on here conveniently not remembering what was said in January. It wasn’t “earned criticism.” Hurley was being lambasted for ignoring point guard, for steering the program in the wrong direction, for playing the wrong guys, and much more

And criticism is generally fine, but why can’t those people admit they overreacted? Everyone on the internet is so stubborn lol

Reaction Score
WE
There are a lot of people on here conveniently not remembering what was said in January. It wasn’t “earned criticism.” Hurley was being lambasted for ignoring point guard, for steering the program in the wrong direction, for playing the wrong guys, and much more

And criticism is generally fine, but why can’t those people admit they overreacted? Everyone on the internet is so stubborn lol

I didn’t overreact at all in January they weren’t playing well, he wasn’t adjusting well often and I criticized him for that. I have fully admitted he turned it around and deserves his kudos as well as the players for adjusting their games. I never said fire him but he got some of what he deserved and so did some players. It happens, we’re lucky we have a coach who figured it out and players who successfully implemented his adjustments.

Pretty simple, 40 more minutes!!!

Reaction Score
as you mature you will find in life not everyone needs to think the same as you.
Ah, if only that were true. Far too many people these days believer you must think the way they think.

Reaction Score
Naysayers. What a stupid post. He is not above reproach. Every UConn coach has been questioned. Does not mean we/they are naysayers. When JC lost to San Diego or George Mason? Remember that? 2 straight years of losing to a lower seed in the 1st round? That not not only deserves but COMMANDS scrutiny.

Those games/teams deserved “damn that sucked, here is what I think went wrong…” takes. They did not deserve “Calhoun can’t reach the modern players” or “the game has passed Calhoun by” or “are our days as a national contender over?” Takes. None of those were that common but they definitely happened.

Same with this year. January deserved questions about what’s going wrong and what needed to happen to get back to our early season dominance. It did not deserve discussion about Hurley being on the hot seat, us being on the bubble, Andre being benched and getting his minutes cut, not having a point guard, Hurley not being able to coach X’s and O’s, etc.

Reaction Score
Wait, what?? That’s taking things a bit too far saying we had to go 2-6 to get where we are today. That is definitely not cause and effect. Give me a break.
Indeed. If they had played as good as they did to get to 14-0 all season they wouldn't be as good now ? Like as in, STILL playing like they did to get to 14-0 in the first place ? That's some logic there, for sure

Reaction Score
That’s not what I said lol. Growth isn’t linear, and lots of impatient people here totally overreacted to a January slump. Most teams have a blip at some point in the season and the staff deserves all the credit in the world for putting the players in a position to turn it around
Good lord. Going 2-6 and get blown out at home by St Johns was flat out bad. People did not "overreact". You act like it was a foregone conclusion that they would turn around and win a national championship even then. Come on

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom