How detailed is a coaches contract? | The Boneyard

How detailed is a coaches contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'm sure certain pay is guaranteed, but does a school also guarantee detailed responsibilities to a head coach?

Reaction Score
Picture a 30-50 page document that essentially says - as long as your don't kill someone this is how much money you get and if you leave us for even more money we will feel really bad.

The money and terms afforded these coaches is beyond the pale imo.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Picture a 30-50 page document that essentially says - as long as your don't kill someone this is how much money you get and if you leave us for even more money we will feel really bad.

The money and terms afforded these coaches is beyond the pale imo.

Unless the contract says the coach answers to no one other than the AD, there is wiggle room to demote a coach rather than buy him out to do nothing.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Unless the contract says the coach answers to no one other than the AD, there is wiggle room to demote a coach rather than buy him out to do nothing.
You mean to something like head cheerleading coach?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
You mean to something like head cheerleading coach?

Or whatever he did in his previous job that was so impressive. He clearly does something well.

Reaction Score
So pay him the $400k/year to sell popcorn.

The contract seems vague about keeping him around and paying him not to coach, but I think it is against the spirit of the contract and good luck hiring any decent coach if you decided to take that route. The contract does say that Diaco chooses the assistant coaches, but it seems like the AD has to approve them.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
(gulp)
"with great power comes great responsibility"

Responsibility and rights are two different animals. I have a problem with buyouts. Nobody should every be paid to do nothing.

Reaction Score
The contract seems vague about keeping him around and paying him not to coach, but I think it is against the spirit of the contract and good luck hiring any decent coach if you decided to take that route. The contract does say that Diaco chooses the assistant coaches, but it seems like the AD has to approve them.
This. We'd never be able to hire a legitimate coach in any sport ever again if we paid Diaco to fill water bottles. It'd be a ridiculous precedent to set. If that's the kind of thing being considered, it's better to wait until 1/1/17 and just buy him out.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
This. We'd never be able to hire a legitimate coach in any sport ever again if we paid Diaco to fill water bottles. It'd be a ridiculous precedent to set. If that's the kind of thing being considered, it's better to wait until 1/1/17 and just buy him out.

Buyouts are what sets the bad precedent, but I unfortunately agree.

Reaction Score
So pay him the $400k/year to sell popcorn.

I think Article 1 precludes having him any capacity other than Head Football Coach (unless you can find a few other NCAA Division 1 programs where the Head Coach fills water bottles and sells popcorn as usual and customary duties;)).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom