How Blue? | The Boneyard

How Blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
I had a conversation with a male friend who seriously thought I was joking when I told him that I would rather see UCONN win another national championship than have the Red Sox win the world series or the Patriots win the super bowl. Is there a medical term for what's wrong with me ?

Reaction Score
Nothing, Hope, nothing. I was playing poker last night and the guys were speculating about spring training. The table talk got around to whether the Yankees (I'm a 'long'-suffering season ticket holder) could even make the East Division playoffs. I was looked at in disbelief when I responded that rather than see the Yanks win the World Series (a virtual impossibility, I know:(), I'd prefer the UConn Women's basketball team winning the National Championship. Go UConn! go Yankees!

Reaction Score
As a Yankee, Vikings and Islanders fan, I don't care if they ever win a title as long as the UConn Women keep stacking up the hardware.

Reaction Score
UConn basketball is what brings Connecticut together, after all. I believe that the Patriots exist so that Red Sox fans can cheer up during the post season and UConn exists so that people will stop arguing about the Patriots.

Reaction Score
I have these same issues (some of my teams are different), but I decided it doesn't make any difference - the sports are unrelated so you don't have to decide.

My conflicts are when it's competing teams in the same sport. I'm an Oklahoma alum. I've had a couple major opportunities to have to "decide". One was the 2002 Women's NC game. It was clear to me way before the game that for WCBB I was a UCONN fan. UCONN had played OU before, so I had already crossed that bridge (and when I was at OU they didn't even have a WBB team yet, plus as much as I loved Sherri, Stacey Dales was such a bih****).

The other was a UCONN-OU men's game in Storrs early in the 2003-04 season when UCONN was ranked #1 and OU was #3. Went to the game with an OU alum/CT resident friend. Neither one of us knew who to root for, so we decided just to go with whatever our hearts told us in the moment. We wore OU shirts under our UCONN shirts so we could take off the UCONN shirts if that's how our hearts told us to root. It took about 3 seconds to decide (both of us) - UCONN all the way. Gampel was 10X louder than any women's game, and UCONN blew them out from the beginning. No need to change shirts.

BTW this doesn't apply to football. Of course I would sell my soul, and my Yankees, etc, etc, for OU's 8th football NC.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
geneticrex said:
Since 1965 so you understand the a-g-o-n-y.

Oh no! I was born in 1978, but I know the Vikes lost four Super Bowls, as well as suffered the unfathomable defeat at home in the NFC championship to Atlanta in 1999. Add to it the presence of an ineffectual QB like Tavaris Jackson and the absence of the great Adrian Peterson, and things haven't been much better since. You have my sympathies.

In any event, the Sox have won three World Series and four SBs in recent memory, so a Boston-area UConn fan has been placated in many ways. Especially since even the Celtics and Bruins have won championships relatively recently too.

Reaction Score
Oh no! I was born in 1978, but I know the Vikes lost four Super Bowls, as well as suffered the unfathomable defeat at home in the NFC championship to Atlanta in 1999. Add to it the presence of an ineffectual QB like Tavaris Jackson and the absence of the great Adrian Peterson, and things haven't been much better since. You have my sympathies.

In any event, the Sox have won three World Series and four SBs in recent memory, so a Boston-area UConn fan has been placated in many ways. Especially since even the Celtics and Bruins have won championships relatively recently too.
It's been a rough ride on the football front, but I always had the Yankees, Islanders, 1980 Olympic hockey and the Uconn Women, so I can't complain.

I lived through plenty of titles.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
You're perfectly normal. Why people care about the prima donnas who play pro sports is beyond me.

Reaction Score
I had a conversation with a male friend who seriously thought I was joking when I told him that I would rather see UCONN win another national championship than have the Red Sox win the world series or the Patriots win the super bowl. Is there a medical term for what's wrong with me ?
Yes - you are clearly a Huskymaniac.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with you 100%. I take it a step further - Tennessee is my most hated team and it's not even close. If someone could guarantee me that the Tennessee women would NEVER win another NC but ONLY if the Red Sox never won another world series, I'd sign up in a second. And yeah, I'm a lifelong Red Sox fan...

Reaction Score
I'm a Cal fan (I go to all the home games) and I'm a UConn fan(other than the west coast games which I attended) I've seen all the Husky games on tv. It looked for a while that I might have to pick a team and it wasn't going to be close. UConn plays inspired, balletic and gritty basketball that is a joy to watch. I would have been 100% for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Yes, it's called "Devoted".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As a Yankee, Vikings and Islanders fan, I don't care if they ever win a title as long as the UConn Women keep stacking up the hardware.
Yes, I have considered starting a lawsuit because that team in MN keeps giving my ancestors a bad name. They have not pillaged anything in the NFL in years. They do not deserve the title, "Viking!"

Reaction Score
I like the Pats after the NY Giants, but lets face it, they only take you to January and then they leave you stranded. Who takes you home year after year? The Husky women! They cut down the nets and you get out the lawn mower! They are essential to surviving winter here in CT.

Reaction Score

You clearly have Truebluehuskynitis. It is not treatable but researchers have found that those who have it actually live a longer, happier life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom