How are your brackets doing? | The Boneyard

How are your brackets doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I'm OK; still on the boneyard first page. Did you notice that the first guy on our page has 100%, but when you look at his bracket, he picked WVa. Wassup with that?

ARGH...why did I say "bracket's" in the post? So sorry. I can't change it.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Semper, they seem to be using a different format than in previous years: that 100% may just be within the BY group. And, that standing is just through the first two rounds, without considering the remaining brackets. What is interesting is, "PPR", or, "potential points remaining" - there are some folks who have a sizable advantage there, if their brackets hold true. Overall, the group is doing quite well, ranked 7th nationally, I believe. But, since the points awarded increase with each round, the stakes get higher as time goes on. By wandering around a bit on the site, you can get various individual rankings - I haven't yet found out how many groups and how many individuals are competing in this year's contest.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I am always the worst at these things and this year is no different.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Aw, c'mon you guys....just use an alias and no one will know, and have fun!

Reaction Score
I am doing okay. Tied for 8th on the BY group, in first in another group.

My men's bracket is so busted it is ground into dust and is blowing away in the wind that is howling outside my house right now.

Reaction Score
I'm OK; still on the boneyard first page. Did you notice that the first guy on our page has 100%, but when you look at his bracket, he picked WVa. Wassup with that?

He doesn't have as many possible points remaining as most everyone else. Probably won't be in first for long ;)

Reaction Score
I went from the 16th percentile in the middle of the first round (before my long shots of Florida and JMU had cashed in) to the 94th percentile now. I had Duke in the EE though (which in retrospect seems really dumb), so I need Depaul to beat Texas A&M to stay up there.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Rats... Last year I ended up first in the Boneyard group... This year I thought "piece of cake"...

Now I am in 56th place...

What a miserable competition this is... No predictability.. Too many upsets...

I can't get over what a terrible job the committee did in the seedings...

It must be that, not my picks...

:rolleyes:

Frank

Roundabout
Reaction Score

That is my bracket. Got a little lucky this year. Though my mens bracket is the inverse. Had Syracuse winning ;-) At one point my bracket was ranked 15th nationally, until WVA lost. ;-( The percent is based on your national percentile rounded up. So you can miss 50% of your picks and be 100% as long as everybody else misses 51%...make sense? I was at 100% when I surpassed a ranking of 81. However, after the next round...I will have to yield first place and dawn a parachute from the steep freefall, especially if Louisville wins....but it was kind of neat to see ones bracket on the ESPN leaderboard even if it was temporary.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I get it now. Thanks so much for 'splaining. I'll enjoy watching what happens to you. It's really too bad for your bracket with WVA, or you might have really cleaned up. Why did you think they would go so far? When I looked at your choices, they all seemed so smart, prophetic. Then that one? Just curious. Anyway, thanks again for responding. I appreciate it.

Frank

Roundabout
Reaction Score
I get it now. Thanks so much for 'splaining. I'll enjoy watching what happens to you. It's really too bad for your bracket with WVA, or you might have really cleaned up. Why did you think they would go so far? When I looked at your choices, they all seemed so smart, prophetic. Then that one? Just curious. Anyway, thanks again for responding. I appreciate it.

Ahh if I were truly prophetic, knowing the rest of my bracket would be so solid, I would not have made that pick, and went with Louisville for sure. But with an understanding that EVERYBODY probably had Louisville vs Tennessee, I wanted to pick an unpopular team to run, and that was not going to come from ND or UCONN Bracket ;-) So I went with Diamond making a run until Stamford gives them a little tough love. I was hoping Tennessee would sucumb to the pressure of getting to play in the home state if they win two more so had them losing. Hence, it came down to Louisville or WVA. WVA won 12 straight games until loosing a close one to Baylor, so figured if anybody had a chance to upset the mass picks that would be it. Still have a chance is Tenn losses to Maryland and LSU continues the cinderella story.....But now I want Louisville to run it to the FF, so win win either way :)

Reaction Score
I am also tied for 8th. Not sure how long that will hold. I had Nebraska and Gonzaga in the Sweet 16 along with Duke. Had Duke going to the Elite Eight. My hubby's bracket is busted. He's currently holding down 77th place.

Reaction Score
Tied for third...last year I tied for 2nd when all was said and done after the champioship game...maybe I should buy some lottery tickets!

Reaction Score
I'm also tied at 8th. BYU and DePaul have been bracket-busters for me. I have all possible winners in the S16. Knocking wood that Diamond's OK.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Of course, this raising an interesting point: do you root for the team you want to win, or for your bracket, which must be filled apart from emotion, I always say. I like Frank's "win win" and find myself saying that too. Can't get over my dislike for UNC this year....not easy to explain, still I held my nose and of course went with them, up to the place that I say USC beats them.

Reaction Score
#229 overall, but #2 in the Boneyard group. Only filled in one bracket this year. I see the BY group is ranked #8 as a group.

Reaction Score
Of course, this raising an interesting point: do you root for the team you want to win, or for your bracket, which must be filled apart from emotion, I always say. I like Frank's "win win" and find myself saying that too. Can't get over my dislike for UNC this year....not easy to explain, still I held my nose and of course went with them, up to the place that I say USC beats them.
I use the 'Frank method' myself. I had Duke in my bracket but was rooting for Depaul while watching the game. Win-win.
I've got NC beating SC and the Cardinal for the Final Four berth.

Last edited:

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Wow you guys think NC will beat SC? I find that surprising....it would be worth a thread as to why you think that, as in my view coaching is so important when you get to the final rounds especially.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
taken me a while to get to your question, Semper, but, I'll give it a go. I think there are 3 reasons why somebody might pick NC over SC.

First, there is a tendency to value "big-time experience" come the tournament. I think even the selection committee suffers from this, as they seem to prefer second-tier teams from strong conferences over first-tier teams from mid-majors. NC has spent a whole lot more time as a "national power" than SC, and the NC/Hatchell program has played in a lot more high-visibility/TV games than SC/Staley. SC still has a bit of an "untested" quality.

Second, even though both conferences are power conferences, I think there's a tad more respect on the BY for this year's ACC - ND, MD, Duke, NCState, NC, Syr, etc. - than this year's SEC - Tenn, KY, SC, A & M,LSU, GA, Vandy, FL, etc..

Third, it's really hard to deny the sheer athletic talent on the NC team. Yes, they're young, and, yes, they seem undisciplined at times, but, geez, when they do click, it's impressive. Plus, lots of BYer's coveted Diamond, so, we know more about her and NC than we do SC.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Overall my brackett is currently at 98.8 percent and my rank is 2118.... in the boneyard group I am tied for 4th.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Overall my brackett is currently at 98.8 percent and my rank is 2118.... in the boneyard group I am tied for 4th.
Amazing....congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99