How About Your FIRST Car - when cost was an object | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How About Your FIRST Car - when cost was an object

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My first car was a red 1965 Triumph spitfire. I damn near killed myself many times in it. I once drove it under the trailer of a truck- it was pretty low to the ground. When I ETS'ed out of the service in Texas during the end of 69 I drove it back to California via the long way all the way up to visit a friend in Conn. Had to do my explore the USA thing. Had a lot of interesting experiences. Got stopped multiple times because as trip wore on I began to look very hippish.

While I never did drugs, a service buddy who lived in Conn. left a pipe filled with green herbs ( lol ) residue which I wanted to return to him but forgot to do once I got there. I got rousted out of a pay toilet in Dallas by the police just because of my appearance. They just opened the door with me sitting there. I always thought that a pay toilet was like a sanctuary. The took me back to my car and searched it but for some strange reason didn't find the pipe which was in plain site in the space that served as the glove compartment in those English cars. I didn't even realize it was there until I got back to El Paso. The penalty for drug possession in Texas then was draconian. I would still be serving time.

On opportunity I missed was when my friend wanted me to stay an extra week because he and some of his friends were going to some Music Festival- Wood-Stick -- or something or other. I decided against it since because I wanted to do more interesting things. It probable didn't turn out to be a very memorable event anyway. lol.

I ended up selling it to some friend of mine for a $100 bucks. It needed needed a head gasket but other wise was in good shape. I just got tired of it. Was really cold in the winter. He really got a deal and I always regretted it. He put in an electric fuel pump which caught fire and burned the care to a cinder. What a maroon.

Reaction Score
1965 GTO 2dr HT 4-speed 1x4 carb, no Ram Air. It was 1 year old when I bought it in 1966 from a "little old lady from Pasadena [CA]". She bought it new in 1965 but realized it was too much car for her to drive, so she advertisted it in the LA Times classified. Price was $2,400. If you could find one in similar condition today, it would be about 25X that. I financed it with a special First Classman (Senior) loan available for USAFA cadets. But since I would soon be a "rich" 2nd Lt in the USAF, paying off the loan was not a problem. I later turned it into a NHRA drag car and then sold it to help pay for my new business startup in 1974. It looked like this one (exterior and interior colors the same as mine).
1965GTOlikeWCH.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Okay, VAMike23 is revealing our coolest cars, and there are some gems in that thread, but who is willing to fess up and reveal their first ever car - the one you had to actually pay for yourself? (no hand-me-downs)

Mine was a late 1950s Ford, an English Ford that is. An English Ford Anglia Deluxe to be exact. Chartreuse in color, and a strikingly ugly shade of chartreuse it was.

The price? It was right in my wheelhouse ...$100. Miles? if memory serves, it had around 100k miles on it - the equivalent of a million miles compared to today's models.

And in keeping with today's trend of full and honest transparency, I must reveal that my $100. gem didn't actually come in the condition of the one pictured in the above photograph. Condition wise it was closer to this one.

But it was mine! My first set of liberating wheels. It served me well ...in many ways.

How about yours?
I don't have a picture but it was a 1942 DeSoto with folding head lights.

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
Okay, VAMike23 is revealing our coolest cars, and there are some gems in that thread, but who is willing to fess up and reveal their first ever car - the one you had to actually pay for yourself? (no hand-me-downs)

Mine was a late 1950s Ford, an English Ford that is. An English Ford Anglia Deluxe to be exact. Chartreuse in color, and a strikingly ugly shade of chartreuse it was.

The price? It was right in my wheelhouse ...$100. Miles? if memory serves, it had around 100k miles on it - the equivalent of a million miles compared to today's models.

And in keeping with today's trend of full and honest transparency, I must reveal that my $100. gem didn't actually come in the condition of the one pictured in the above photograph. Condition wise it was closer to this one.

But it was mine! My first set of liberating wheels. It served me well ...in many ways.

How about yours?
Mine was a 1978 Chevy Nova 4 door sedan, light blue. It had a 305 V-8 engine. Bought it off my dad for $3k. Hit 115 mph on I-287
coming back from a Yankee game at 1am.

1978 Chevrolet Nova Sedan 2.JPG

1994 Dodge Shadow ES
1993_dodge_shadow_4dr-hatchback_es_s_oem_1_500.jpg

Reaction Score
View attachment 14648 View attachment 14649 My 1st was an original 70' T/A Challenger, 340 Six Pak, 4 speed. My biggest mistake was selling it.

I had a white/black '70 Plymouth 'Cuda AAR ... similar car. My brother's was yellow/black. Surprisingly neither color is seen in the following collection. 70 Plymouth AAR Cuda

Among many cars I owned back then (circa the late 60s), that are "classics" today (and like many old guys if we only kept them:) ) I recall two Z-28 Camaros, 426 Plymouth, Buick Gran Sport, Pontiac Gran Prix, Datsun 240-Z, and many more. I doubt I even have pictures of most of them, since pictures weren't common, didn't last, and "videos" weren't invented yet.

Oh, and my first car was a '50 Pontiac coupe I bought for $50 and spray painted with about 6 cans of flat black primer. It lasted a few months.

Don't ask how old I am ;)

Reaction Score
I had a white/black '70 Plymouth 'Cuda AAR ... similar car. My brother's was yellow/black. Surprisingly neither color is seen in the following collection. 70 Plymouth AAR Cuda

Among many cars I owned back then (circa the late 60s), that are "classics" today (and like many old guys if we only kept them:) ) I recall two Z-28 Camaros, 426 Plymouth, Buick Gran Sport, Pontiac Gran Prix, Datsun 240-Z, and many more. I doubt I even have pictures of most of them, since pictures weren't common, didn't last, and "videos" weren't invented yet.

Oh, and my first car was a '50 Pontiac coupe I bought for $50 and spray painted with about 6 cans of flat black primer. It lasted a few months.

Don't ask how old I am ;)
That is SOME list of beauties. I actually like the AAR better than the T/A, but at the time the T/A was too good to pass up.

I currently have a HEMICUDA' and small block Dart, but those are basically racecars I drive on the street. If we had only kept our fleets of stockers. Thats where the money is.lol

Reaction Score
image.jpeg
1970 Volvo 140 that I bought in 1976 for $500 (and I took out a $400 bank loan to buy it. )

Bad cv joints. One wheel had one reverse thread lug. Ball joint just separated one day (fortunately I was going 5 mph and only 2 miles from home). No windshield washer. So I carried a jug of water to throw on the window at stop lights in the winter.
Bought a Chiltons manual and kept it running for a few years. Drove it from West Haven to Montreal and to Cape Cod as well as numerous ski trips before selling it to my brother (for $500 :)).

Reaction Score
57chev84959-1.jpg

This car except in turquois color. I bought the 3 year old '57 Chevy with about 40,000 miles in my high school sophomore year of 1960 for around $1,000. It sold new for over $2,000. Paid for it with my paper route. Oh, do I wish I had that car back. Pristine could sell for up to $50,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom