Houston post game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Houston post game

Reaction Score
The bench came through. With Lou out and Pheesa in foul trouble, we still won the third and fourth quarters.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Touly was great today and I hope she will get more minutes the rest of the season. She will be needed especially if Lou is limited.

Geno in his presser pinned down a little more what Batouly can do. In a physical game, she can give us rebounds and push people around.

Reaction Score
I also think this officiating crew did not perform well. I do think most of the officiating this year has been fairly good.
Regarding rebounding, it is a bit misleading to look at the stats in a game like this. Houston tossed up three dozen 3-pointers, and 3-pointers that miss tend to result in long and wide-ranging bounces off the rim. Positioning and boxing out doesn't help much in these cases, so I don't read much into the number of "O-boards" a 3-pointer-happy team gets.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Grinding out a win against mediocre Houston is not where we want to be at this time of year.
I think it should be noted that after starting the game with a 17-7 deficit, UConn outscored Houston for the rest of the game by 76-44, a margin of 32 points in the last 3 1/2 quarters. And two of those quarters were without Lou. That is not too shabby.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think it should be noted that after starting the game with a 17-7 deficit, UConn outscored Houston for the rest of the game by 76-44, a margin of 32 points in the last 3 1/2 quarters. And two of those quarters were without Lou. That is not too shabby.
Some posters are never happy, no matter how the Huskies are playing.
I remember a couple years ago, Lou was 10 for 10 from beyond the arc, 6 for 6 in foul shots but some posters were complaining because she was only 2 for 4 in her 2 point shooting. :rolleyes:

BTW SARCASM here.

Reaction Score
Some random thoughts:

- I loved Touly’s minutes today
- Great senior day for Pheesa. Sad that Lou couldn’t go out on a high note, but relieved that it’s only a back spasm.
- I couldn’t make up my mind whether Houston is a team on the rise in the AAC, or just another UCF clone that adopted the “hack a Husky” defense.
\

When I watched Camara in today's game I thought: this young lady just earned more PT with the starting 5. She rebounded, mixed it ups well under the boards AND when needed she CAN shoot. I was favorably impressed. ONO, foul troubles and all, worked hard, showed moves, and did herself proud. Coombs, someone named her the DISRUPT-ER: That is an apt moniker!
New term for the current defense against the Huskies: HACK A HUSKY DEFENSE

Reaction Score
Some posters are never happy, no matter how the Huskies are playing.
I remember a couple years ago, Lou was 10 for 10 from beyond the arc, 6 for 6 in foul shots but some posters were complaining because she was only 2 for 4 in her 2 point shooting. :rolleyes:

BTW SARCASM here.
Had the same reaction to a post that we squeaked through... 20 + point win and Lou played only a little more than 1.5 quarters.
Let's be happy with the season... #2 for a reason. :):(:rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

We knew Houston could not maintain that hot shooting pace they had to begin the game. Once UConn caught them at 20-19, they never trailed again. UConn was cold today. 12% from beyond the arc, but they still found a way to win.

Houston is a better team now than when coach Hughey took over the program a few years ago. His first year, they only won 4 games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Hopefully the injury to Lou is not serious and she will be back for the South Florida Game. UCONN absolutely needs Lou for the rest of the season.

She should be 100% for the conference tournament (March 8-11) that begins for UConn (with a 1st round bye) next Saturday March 9. Game 6: No. 1 UConn vs. winner of Game 2 (2 p.m. ET - ESPN3)

Reaction Score
I was very encouraged by the way other players responded when Lou went out. There were the emotions of senior day, the concern about Lou, and the pressure of playing well for the last home game of the regular season. But each player who came in contributed and got the game won. I have noticed games earlier in the season when Lou went out and the offense fell apart. I was happy that it didn't happen today.

Reaction Score
Back spasms can range from a mild twinge to an almost crippling major spasm. The muscle relaxer is a must. When I get one, after taking a muscle relaxer, I apply some Bengay and sit down. Rest and medication is the quickest way to recover. I’ve had them so severe, I could not stand up straight immediately after.

She’ll probably be a game time decision. It would not surprise me to see her play Monday, although I don’t believe they need her to defeat USF.
My concern on this thought is not the capabilities of trainers and doctors but the travel. I’ve had to fly with a troubled back and (I know, it wasn’t a charter) the flight set me back considerably.

Reaction Score
If this team is going to win a National Title Dangerfield is going to have to make more shots. Making layups is not going to cut it. KLS needs to find her range also but it will not be easy unless Dangerfield becomes more of a scoring threat from the field.

Reaction Score
My concern on this thought is not the capabilities of trainers and doctors but the travel. I’ve had to fly with a troubled back and (I know, it wasn’t a charter) the flight set me back considerably.

If the only injury is a muscle spasm KLS should be getting e-stim on the plane which most people don't get.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Get well soon, Katie Lou. I hope for her sake she doesn't play or travel on Monday. Beyond her shooting, the team will really miss her rebounding and passing.
Christyn seemed a little lost in the 4th quarter when Napheesa was sitting. Lots of dribbling and getting trapped by Houston players.
Napheesa and Crystal were outstanding, and Megan provided some key field goals.
Olivia is really improving in scoring and defending. Her free throw shooting relapsed, somewhat. In the last game, I thought maybe free throwing had migrated from Napheesa to Olivia. In this game Napheesa's free throws were a little better after a poor start. Some kind of voodoo is going on.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If this team is going to win a National Title Dangerfield is going to have to make more shots. Making layups is not going to cut it. KLS needs to find her range also but it will not be easy unless Dangerfield becomes more of a scoring threat from the field.
I disagree. I think Megan and Christyn need to score about 20 points each to help us win going forward.:rolleyes:
BTW Crystal did step her game up today, scoring 19 points, right?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Texas playing better in 3Q, got the lead down to 11 and had several chances to cut it to single digits but couldn’t capitalize. Aston took a risk leaving Holmes in with 3 fouls, and frankly she was lucky not to be called for her 4th when she was defending Carleton.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
This really isn't true. You don't advance to the D-I officiating level without putting in a TON of work as an official. And most of the officials in the elite conferences are working 5-6 games per week. That's more than just "now and then."

I realize fans perpetually complain about officiating, but it's not a case of them not working hard enough.

A friend of mine was a both Big Ten football and basketball official. He was also a high school vice principal. He graduated to the NFL - and still worked at the high school.

Reaction Score
Just watched the replay of today’s game and watched the Lou injury multiple times. Hoping it’s not something Moe serious! We need her to win it all!

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Current report is "doubtful", which it would have to be for now.

UConn unsure of Samuelson status for Monday
The game is in Florida which means lots of sitting around an airport and in an airplane...not so sure that is giving it the rest that it needs. KLS is my favorite player but having her stay home at UConn and get real rest for her muscles would benefit her and the team for the AAC Tournament next week. Get Well Soon Lou! Team-go win one for the Gimpy...:cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Tracking Samuelson & Collier as they try to pass #3 Tina Charles (2346) on the UConn career scoring list.

They began the season with: Lou 1712 points / Phee 1609 (per the 2018-2019 UConn media guide - page 70)

They began the day with: Lou 2248 TCP - Phee 2169 TCP (total career points).

They are currently ranked #4 (Lou) and #5 (Pheesa) on the career scoring list through the Houston game.

Today - Lou scored 11 pts + 2248 = 2259 Lou needs 88 pts to surpass Charles.
Today - Pheesa scored 29 pts +2169 = 2198 Phee needs 149.

Assuming they have 8 games left (through the regional finals), Lou must average 11.0 ppg to surpass Charles. Collier needs to average 18.6 (19) ppg.

Games left - @ USF March 4 - Assuming: 3 AAC conference tournament games - 4 games in the NCAA tournament.

1551595335091.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom