Hope Polley gets his chance to start 3 man | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hope Polley gets his chance to start 3 man

Reaction Score
You guys are way smarter than me.. Let's just see how this plays out with TM and Tyler Phommachanh.. If they both play up to their talents..We're good..

Reaction Score
I found this from one of his recruiting articles.

Tyler Polley is a 6’7” 215 pound power forward from The Sagemont School in Weston, FL. He is currently ranked #83 in the class of 2017. He is a smooth shooting stretch-four with good passing ability and rebounding skills. He is a rangy defender, something that Jamie Dixon covets in wing players. He reminds me of current Frogs forward Kenrich Williams in his build and athleticism.

Reaction Score
I found this from one of his recruiting articles.

Tyler Polley is a 6’7” 215 pound power forward from The Sagemont School in Weston, FL. He is currently ranked #83 in the class of 2017. He is a smooth shooting stretch-four with good passing ability and rebounding skills. He is a rangy defender, something that Jamie Dixon covets in wing players. He reminds me of current Frogs forward Kenrich Williams in his build and athleticism.

Thank you.

That definitely answers my question.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what Polley was recruited to do? Obviously he was recruited by the former staff. And the coaching staff doesn't exactly confide with the fan base about team development.

Was Polley recruited to be a stretch 4. The next DeAndre Daniels?
At #168, Tyler was the crown jewel of the 8th best recruiting class in the AAC in 2017. The class was haphazardly put together after the departures of Durham, Jackson, Enoch, and the decomittment of Makai Ashton Langford in the spring of 2017. It was a slapped together class that featured Kwintin Williams. I honestly think Ollie was offering the “best available” at that point seeing how we brought in 4 power forwards in the same class.
Also, the staff was blindsided when Dialla signed with Kentucky.

Absolute mess.

Not sure if Ollie deserves credit for being some kind of mad genius for finding 3 guys who have outplayed their rankings for the most part in Polley, Whaley, and Carlton or Hurley deserves credit for developing them.

Long story short, I don’t think Polley was recruited for any specific role or reason.

Reaction Score
At #168, Tyler was the crown jewel of the 8th best recruiting class in the AAC in 2017. The class was haphazardly put together after the departures of Durham, Jackson, Enoch, and the decomittment of Makai Ashton Langford in the spring of 2017. It was a slapped together class that featured Kwintin Williams. I honestly think Ollie was offering the “best available” at that point seeing how we brought in 4 power forwards in the same class.

Absolute mess.

Not sure if Ollie deserves credit for being some kind of mad genius for finding 3 guys who have outplayed their rankings for the most part in Polley, Whaley, and Carlton or Hurley deserves credit for developing them.
"Crown Jewel of the 8th best class in the AAC"

Thats pretty solid writing. Nicely put.

I've been somewhat critical of Polley. Your post grounds me a bit. That recruiting class pretty much represents rock bottom for KO. Short of getting fired. What a mess indeed.

Being critical of Polley is a bit inappropriate of me. We are probably getting more than we should of out of him. Polley is what he is. A three point shooter. That's about it.

Thanks my friend

Reaction Score
Interesting thoughts on Tyler by many here. Tyrese as well but end result is having both playing critical minutes most every game while doing what they do best is very crucial to this teams success. Martin has slowly allowed himself to be a bigger part of the offense and he is crucial on both ends as well as rebounding the ball. I like Tyler and agree he’s a huge piece, need him to get comfy on offense and get shots as we know he can make them. I always thought he was a better defender than many thought here and his length is crucial. He showed a little more aggression last game and I’d love to see more of that. If he plays well enough he may get a shot of getting back in the starting lineup but no matter, he will play plenty of minutes when he stays out foul trouble something he’s having trouble with for now.

Reaction Score
Even for the Boneyard this thread is off the rails. Polley has been here for 3 plus years. I think we know what he is: a spot up 3 point shooter. NOTHING more.

I think Tryese has more rebounds in 4 games than Polley in his whole career. Assists too. Those arguing for Polley need to get real. He had ONE monster game then blew out his knee. What the hell are you basing your opinions on, because facts obviously aren’t taken into your accounts.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Polley has been here for 3 plus years. I think we know what he is: a spot up 3 point shooter. NOTHING more.

I think Tryese has more rebounds in 4 games than Polley in his whole career. Assists too. Those arguing for Polley need to get real. He had ONE monster game then blew out his knee. What the hell are you basing your opinions on, because facts obviously aren’t taken into your accounts.
He has been here 3 years? He got hurt 1/2 way through last season. So, let's at least say, he's had 2.5 years of ball, one of which was under the big turd.

Polley shot 42, 38, and 41% from 3 versus AAC. Martin, 31 and 32% against the Atlantic 10.

Polley is 6/9. Martin is 6/6.

Polley's coming back from a major knee injury, only 3 games in, and still got 15 minutes of run to Martin's 31 - Hurley sees something, clearly.

Polley's TRB% this year is 11% (not bad). Martin's is 17% (awesome).

Prior to this year, Polley's WS/40 have been .012, .097, and .177. Martin, 0.97 and .112.

Polley's best game last year was, unfortunately, his last. He had 19 points and 11 boards and played solid defense (about what Martin did v. Depaul). 9 of his 15 games he scored in double digits.

Polley's per 40 rebound rate right now is 8. Not bad at all, really.

Plenty of statistical reasons to think that Polley can do great things this year.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
It's not worth comparing martin to polley. These two guys potentially could compliment each other nicely. They have two totally different styles of play whether we want them to or not.

Reaction Score
Polley is more of a 4 man and if he is in the lineup he will play like there. He surely can't guard a 3 with lack of quickness. Unless you are saying defensively they switch men.
I guess 3-4 doesnt really matter--in hoops its close.

Just to start game for offensive balance
Whalley
Polley
Martin
Bouknight
Cole

Reaction Score

Whalley
Polley
Martin
Bouknight
Cole
I think Hurley likes to start Sanogo because he is rewarding him for how hard he practices and it bakes in court time for a kid that needs court time. It's smart. Not sure how long he will keep doing it but it made sense to me.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Martin is a much better player than Polley, it's not even close. Polley is a weapon with his three point shooting but unfortunately he's never brought it in any of the other aspects of the game. If he hits threes and plays D we can be a great team.
If Polley doesn’t hit 3+ threes he has nothing else. We know what Polley is. Martin seems to a much better all around player, especially defensively. Martin is better at attacking the rim, dribbling, and rebounding.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think Hurley likes to start Sanogo because he is rewarding him for how hard he practices and it bakes in court time for a kid that needs court time. It's smart. Not sure how long he will keep doing it but it made sense to me.
Or he’s saving Carlton. Both foul a lot

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Whalley
Polley
Martin
Bouknight
Cole
Polled can’t rebound or play defense. He’s smaller than Martin.
Polley is more of a 4 man and if he is in the lineup he will play like there. He surely can't guard a 3 with lack of quickness. Unless you are saying defensively they switch men.
Yes, he is not that quick. He has a good role of coming off the bench to try and hit threes. We need him to be a consistent knock down shooter if he isnt doing anything else

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What are all these things Polley has more potential than Martin at? He's in his 4th year already. Polley is a better three point shooter than Martin and can be a real weapon with the three ball but who is the better defender? Who is the better finisher? Who is the better rebounder? Who has the better handles? Who is the better passer? Who has more versatility?

It isn’t even close. Polley is maybe the 7th or 8th best player on this team (with Akok out). And while he’s an outstanding spot up catch and shoot guy, he isn’t a good shooter when moving. And he does nothing to create his own shot. No step back, can’t move to the side then shoot, he needs to shoot off of the catch. He’s useful, and maybe he will start, but even Adams does more overall at the SF spot. I have always hated seeing Polley at the 4 because it kills any inside game we have. Except for the game he got hurt in, I never recall him going inside, fighting for boards and trying to score in the paint.

We should all hope Akok can come back strong so we can play Martin at the 3. That lineup will terrorize people. Whaley is a better 5 with Akok covering the rim. Until then I think Hurley should go with matchups, using Josh, Sanogo and Whaley at the 4 where needed.

Reaction Score
Polley is a wing and ideally should play the 3.

Even in the DePaul game, good things happened every time Polley was inserted in the game we went on big runs. Martin is a very solid role player, but this was DePaul and a lot of guys benefitted from extra attention being placed on Bouk by DePaul. Let’s see if that continues.

Not a big fan of Martin and Polley playing at the same time as I think Martin takes shots away from Polley. I’d rather see Martin facilitate similar to what AJacks can do and crash the glass with Bouk and Polley the beneficiaries on the wing or in the post.

When playing together, Polley needs to be the 3 and Martin needs to be crashing the boards as the 4 man and facilitating the ball.

I’d like to see Bouk and Polley be the guys hunting their shots on offense.

PS: Put some respect on Polley’s name. Guy hits big shots against big time opponents.

#FeedPolley

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Polley is a wing and ideally should play the 3.

Even in the DePaul game, good things happened every time Polley was inserted in the game we went on big runs. Martin is a very solid role player, but this was DePaul and a lot of guys benefitted from extra attention being placed on Bouk by DePaul. Let’s see if that continues.

Not a big fan of Martin and Polley playing at the same time as I think Martin takes shots away from Polley. I’d rather see Martin facilitate similar to what AJacks can do and crash the glass with Bouk and Polley the beneficiaries on the wing or in the post.

When playing together, Polley needs to be the 3 and Martin needs to be crashing the boards as the 4 man and facilitating the ball.

I’d like to see Bouk and Polley be the guys hunting their shots on offense.

PS: Put some respect on Polley’s name. Guy hits big shots against big time opponents.

#FeedPolley
Stick Polley in the corner or have him come off screens for 3’s when they’re needed. Otherwise let’s not feed Polley.

Reaction Score
Small sample size but let’s take a look at the stats so far between them.

Martin: 10.3 PPG, 9.3 RPG (leads Big East), 1.8 APG, 1.0 turnovers/game.
Fg% : 50%, 42.9% from 3

Polley: 4.8 PPG, 3 RPG, .4 APG, 5 turnovers/game
FG% 33%, 27.3% from 3

Offensive Rating/Defensive Rating
Martin: 130.9 & 95.2
Polley: 108.1 & 95.1

OBPM/DBPM
Martin: 6.7 & 2.2
Polley: -3.6 & 0.3

BPM
Martin: 9.0
Polley: -3.6

PER
Martin: 21.8
Polley: 12.8

Martin has proven thus far to be a valuable piece. Can score, rebound, defend and limits turnovers. I like Tyler, but Martin has a more all around game and brings a lot of value to the team. Need Tyler Phommachanh to pick up his 3 point shooting. He won’t get big minutes if he continues to shoot under 30% from 3. Coming off the injury is tough. Like him coming off the bench and being a knock down shooter in transition. Would like to see him get some set plays well to get him some space.

Reaction Score
Im pretty sure Polley had a 19 point 11 rebound 3 block game before he got hurt. I think he was showing his top line potential.
What Polley does for Uconn starting line up is stretches the floor. Hes another gun and he moves players out of the lane which gives everyone else including whalley more space. His upside is 10-13 points 5-6 rebounds in 23-25 minutes and we dont give up[ defensive length by sitting a big

Reaction Score
Polled can’t rebound or play defense. He’s smaller than Martin.

Yes, he is not that quick. He has a good role of coming off the bench to try and hit threes. We need him to be a consistent knock down shooter if he isnt doing anything else
Well polley can barely guard a 4 let alone a 3 who would have s field day. At least against a 4 he can use his length and height. He does have that advantage over Martin.

Reaction Score

Whalley
Polley
Martin
Bouknight
Cole
I just hope Akok becomes healthy and effective enough to play the 4 and have Martin at the 3. Polley is just a situational player for hitting 3's. He shouldn't be starting.

Reaction Score
Told ya Polley should start. He just made us better abs should be a no brained to start rest of season

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom