Hoopfeed: Proud to be an American, but is No. 1 Connecticut happy to be in the American? | The Boneyard

Hoopfeed: Proud to be an American, but is No. 1 Connecticut happy to be in the American?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sitting courtside during the Houston game, conference play felt different. Yes, the old Big East had more than its share of UConn blow out games, that will be the same thing with the AAC. But somehow the history made those games more palatable. Prior years had Harry Perretta and Trish Joline winning with Villanova, Doug Bruno and DePaul along with a never-ending supply of Quigleys. Heck, even Pittsburgh had the handshaking respect of Agnes Berenato to look forward to.

http://j.mp/1aNHRbx

Reaction Score
I realize this issue has been discussed beyond most peoples tolerance, but what do people think the future holds for our conference options? Are we doomed to the AAC for the long run? I am concerned that it will effect recruiting at some point, especially if some of the other big WCBB teams start avoiding us- and I fear that may happen , at least to some degree.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
"Mike DiMauro for The Day, a New London, Connecticut newspaper asked Auriemma if he, the coaches, and the players get tired of the blowout games."

Okay, I hate to rag on a favorite punching bag (actually, no I don't), but.....

1. When has UConn not had a lot of blowout games on its schedule for the last 20 years? I mean, isn't a reporter's job to come up with new questions sometimes that couldn't have been asked any time in the last many years? I'm not saying a reporter should be asking why UConn fans are so racist, misogynistic, and apathetic as certain muck-flinging pundits have been known to do, but can't the press guy with the mic come up with something newer and better?
  2. So Massey ratings at least has UConn with the #2 SOS in the country behind Duke and likely to finish the season that way. So UConn's playing about the toughest schedule that is scheduable and the games are blow-outs. Thank you much for pointing that out, Mike. So what do you want UConn to do about it? As in all the past years, Geno and UConn's approach is just to play as well as well as possible and work on perfecting technique and growing, and somewhere down the road you know there will be some tougher challenges. Same old, same old. You're playing to meet your own expectations, and grab an NC. Let other bile-brewers carp about the UConn domination and all the blow-outs.
  3. It's really big boo-hoo that you can only see some nefarious evil swooping down on UConn to "hijack it by its own success," that you can't find the "humanity" in the UConn team because they are just too good as they work on bettering themselves whether as freshmen or seniors, that you now detest covering the too-good Huskies and it's such a chore for you to go to UConn games when you could be watching your "gutty, gritty BC Eagles" (remember when they were such a good program before their AD gutted the program to give them some grit in their guts?). Indeed, Mike, my violin gently weeps maudlin tears for you.
  4. It might be good as a reporter to ask some questions about what it's like playing in a new conference with a lot of new opponents and how that has affected the team. Could be some fresh stuff there. Maybe queries about the longer road trips and all, which is certainly relevant. Maybe something about trips to Texas and what that means to certain UConn players. Might even ask about those snazzy AAC brand commercials on SNY during the games that makes one proud to be American.
Or you can return to 1995 and ask Geno, "Coach, what's it like playing in so many blow-outs?" And every year after. Or, I know you will feel so much better asking the BC Eagles coach, "What's it like getting blown out by USC and Notre Dame?" That should settle down your tummy.

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I realize this issue has been discussed beyond most peoples tolerance, but what do people think the future holds for our conference options? Are we doomed to the AAC for the long run? I am concerned that it will effect recruiting at some point, especially if some of the other big WCBB teams start avoiding us- and I fear that may happen , at least to some degree.
Yes, there have been about ten threads on that subject if you want to check back through the pages, and they're often posted by other team's fans that want to stir up the doom and gloom that all the other teams are going to start avoiding the NC team, all the television exposure, the huge crowds flocking to the arenas when the UConn traveling show comes in, yada, yada. Always makes sense to me, even though UConn's future schedule is filling up fast if you've kept your eye on the news.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I am concerned that it will effect recruiting at some point .

I am beginning to doubt this
For example the quote from the nine-year old starlet in Orlando (paraphrased) I want to be like Diana …I want to play for UConn.

Reaction Score
Yes, the quality of the AAC has been written about, and the new conferences, will recruits come, etc. angles.

Here's the thing, yes there's been a million blowouts, but I don't know about you guys, but it just feels different this year. I almost feel sorry for Houston, etc, yet I also feel angry that that's who UConn is playing in some ways.

As I mentioned, I didn't mind the blowouts of the old guard as much, because of the history, because they've been competitive before, because they had one or two players worth watching, or for some reason I could still look forward to UConn playing them. Maybe it was the feeling that still, as good as UConn has been, these other teams were tournament quality level, and the conference usually had many teams in the tournament.

I know I for one have limited at best interest in these games, and I love watching UConn execute to perfection as much as the next guy. I love watching Stewie swoop in, Dolson bang, MoJeff outquick them, etc. but it just doesn't feel the same. However these teams have limited outstanding players, and virtually no chance of making the tournament. I know it's early in the conference development, but being honest it sucks.

Apparently, based on press row, and the questions to Geno, I wasn't alone in that feeling. Even Geno admitted it feels different.

That's why the piece was written, and with the focus on Geno's quotes.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

My thoughts are in red.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Hey, growth pains. Those revered old BEast teams you wax over went through the same process, though some just slid away into terminal oblivion like Providence and Seton Hall. As noted, the same thing is happening again and I'm actually kind of excited to see the new teams in new settings and think about the levels they could reach in a few years with Husky games in the diet. To me that seems a better viewing than watching UConn kick the Friar rags around for the 300th time. But to each their own.

Reaction Score
I agree with DobbsRover2. There will be players who want to play against UConn and try to defeat them. Knowing they'll be in the same conference will give those players two chances each year, if the format stays the same. UConn is a big draw, for and against. Imagine being the hobbit that slayed the dragon. Your face would be plastered all over the place, maybe even more so than if you played for the Huskies.

HGN

Reaction Score
Blowouts can and will happen no matter which conference you're in.........ND just moved into the ACC and look at the ND vs BC score....... ND by 40+. Blowouts are going to happen every week when you have the best team on the floor , and possibly in the country in UConn's case.

The Big East Conference was started decades ago with some teams that no other conference wanted. Villanova , Syracuse, Providence , BC , Rutgers , Georgetown , UConn , etc...Not great football schools then. They were joined later by Florida State , Miami , West Virginia. My point is that the Big East had a very humble beginning back then . Sort of like the AAC is having now. In time the Big East grew to become a powerhouse league until greed and football$$ took over.

I would say that UConn was proud to be a Big East inaugural member and represented the Big East well and with Pride. And I will say that they are proud to be an Inaugural member of a new league, the AAC.

I wonder how the other conference's are taking it looking up and seeing a AAC member No.1 in the polls that they are suppose to be dominating. Also , if it comes to past that UConn goes on and wins a 9th NC , I wonder how the other conference's are going to feel seeing UConn, a AAC member , the NC ?

That's my 2-cents.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
These are the final margins during an 'off year' for Uconn in conference play last year leaving off ND:
27, 34, 14 (Lou), 25, 36, 33, 6 (StJ), 47, 47, 56, 20, 60, 40, 34, 33, 13 (Syr)
Here are their MOV for ranked teams leaving out Baylor and BE teams: 34 Pur, 15 MD, 15 PSU, 26 Stan, 30 Duke
Hear are the MOV in the tournament regionals and FF, 26, 30, 18, 33

Not sure I see a whole lot of difference outside one team ND in terms of the old BE and the new AAC in terms of competitive games. Since 1995 - 19 seasons - Uconn won the regular season title 15 times and the BE tournament 15 times. They were undefeated in conference play 9 times, 1 loss 5 times, 2 losses 3 times and 3 losses twice, and they never lost more than three games in conference.

We can wax poetic about what a great conference the BE was but 90% of the games in conference each year were completely uncompetitive for Uconn, and playing most of the ranked teams in the country over the last 5 years has also been a completely non-competitive adventure. In the last five seasons outside of Baylor and ND, Stanford has gone 1 and 6, St Johns 1 and 5 and everyone else has an 0fer going. Do I think DePaul and Syracuse might be better than USF or Temple, probably most years but not by much. Louisville has had a nice little run with Jeff, but they still haven't beaten Uconn in 20+ years and even during this run haven't often come within 20 points. Rutgers had its moment and they may be back to respectability this year, but ... except for a few years in the early 2000s they haven't been competitive. The AAC is no ones dream conference, though playing 2 + games in Texas and FL every year is not bad in terms of recruiting exposure, but to get schools up to the average big east quality is not a great leap. To match an ND is more difficult, but then there are only a few of them around.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
These are the final margins during an 'off year' for Uconn in conference play last year leaving off ND:
27, 34, 14 (Lou), 25, 36, 33, 6 (StJ), 47, 47, 56, 20, 60, 40, 34, 33, 13 (Syr)
Here are their MOV for ranked teams leaving out Baylor and BE teams: 34 Pur, 15 MD, 15 PSU, 26 Stan, 30 Duke
Hear are the MOV in the tournament regionals and FF, 26, 30, 18, 33

Not sure I see a whole lot of difference outside one team ND in terms of the old BE and the new AAC in terms of competitive games. Since 1995 - 19 seasons - Uconn won the regular season title 15 times and the BE tournament 15 times. They were undefeated in conference play 9 times, 1 loss 5 times, 2 losses 3 times and 3 losses twice, and they never lost more than three games in conference.

We can wax poetic about what a great conference the BE was but 90% of the games in conference each year were completely uncompetitive for Uconn, and playing most of the ranked teams in the country over the last 5 years has also been a completely non-competitive adventure. In the last five seasons outside of Baylor and ND, Stanford has gone 1 and 6, St Johns 1 and 5 and everyone else has an 0fer going. Do I think DePaul and Syracuse might be better than USF or Temple, probably most years but not by much. Louisville has had a nice little run with Jeff, but they still haven't beaten Uconn in 20+ years and even during this run haven't often come within 20 points. Rutgers had its moment and they may be back to respectability this year, but ... except for a few years in the early 2000s they haven't been competitive. The AAC is no ones dream conference, though playing 2 + games in Texas and FL every year is not bad in terms of recruiting exposure, but to get schools up to the average big east quality is not a great leap. To match an ND is more difficult, but then there are only a few of them around.
I don't think the conference experience changes much for UConn. But I get the OP's point; not the waxing poetic about the historical aspects (and RU only came in '96), but the fact that 7 of UConn's conference opponents - no matter how inferior to UConn - were NCAA level teams.

Sorry, but that isn't the case in the AAC.

As to Rutgers, not the early 2000's; 2002 in fact was our last losing season. Rutgers peaked - at least in recent history - in 2007, although 2008 wasn't bad IIRC.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I would say that UConn was proud to be a Big East inaugural member and represented the Big East well and with Pride. And I will say that they are proud to be an Inaugural member of a new league, the AAC.

I wonder how the other conference's are taking it looking up and seeing a AAC member No.1 in the polls that they are suppose to be dominating. Also , if it comes to past that UConn goes on and wins a 9th NC , I wonder how the other conference's are going to feel seeing UConn, a AAC member , the NC ?

That's my 2-cents.
I don't think the other conferences care about who is #1 in the WBB polls (i.e. UConn). I don't think they give a hoot if UConn wins #9 and #10 and however many Geno gets as members of the AAC.

Now, if Houston or USF started winning championships as members of the AAC - they might get their knickers in a twist. Or if UConn starts winning in MBB, maybe. Football is virtually impossible as an AAC member - a 1 in 5 conference shot of maybe qualifying for big time bowls.

And it is dubious that UConn - for reasons having absolutely nothing to do with WBB - is proud to be an inaugural member of a new league. The WBB team might or might not, but the University not so much.

Reaction Score
I don't think the other conferences care about who is #1 in the WBB polls (i.e. UConn). I don't think they give a hoot if UConn wins #9 and #10 and however many Geno gets as members of the AAC.

Now, if Houston or USF started winning championships as members of the AAC - they might get their knickers in a twist. Or if UConn starts winning in MBB, maybe. Football is virtually impossible as an AAC member - a 1 in 5 conference shot of maybe qualifying for big time bowls.

And it is dubious that UConn - for reasons having absolutely nothing to do with WBB - is proud to be an inaugural member of a new league. The WBB team might or might not, but the University not so much.

Didn't UCF just win one of the big four BCS Bowl ?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
One year at a time. There were 15 to 16 teams in the BEast in recent years, so if 7 to 8 made the NCAA tournament, it was close to a half that were tourney worthy. This year in the 12 team AAC, UConn and Louisville are locks, Rutgers and Temple are pretty likely, and SMU now at 11-4 has a good shot if it stays strong. Other teams would need to step up quite a bit, but it's still a little under half that could be tourney worthy this year, so little difference with the BEast there. As to what the situation will be next year, well we haven't got there yet and anyone pulling out crystal balls now are just pocket-pooling their time.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Where is UConn going to play where theyre not going to blow out every team in the conference? ND was year was the only one until it counted in the FF. As tuff as the BE was UConn blew out almost every team every year and did it in the NCAAs too. Is the AAC weak. yes Is the SEC and PAC 10 weak yes. Is the ACC weak yes. Now are those conference top heavy in their own conference yes. When UConn comes to town there really isn't a team they cant beat by double digits. I have a question when was the last time UConn lost by double digits in a regulation game Regulation Game? Its been a while.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Where is UConn going to play where theyre not going to blow out every team in the conference? ND was year was the only one until it counted in the FF. As tuff as the BE was UConn blew out almost every team every year and did it in the NCAAs too. Is the AAC weak. yes Is the SEC and PAC 10 weak yes. Is the ACC weak yes. Now are those conference top heavy in their own conference yes. When UConn comes to town there really isn't a team they cant beat by double digits. I have a question when was the last time UConn lost by double digits in a regulation game Regulation Game? Its been a while.
ND 2/27/2012 by 13. But you're right, we got spoiled because although there were so many blowouts, three teams from the conferencet were good enough to make the FF. But that happens very rarely, and UConn fans should not act like that was a normal state of affairs.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
At one time, we played in what was referred to as the "Big Least". Didn't make much difference then and it won't make much difference now. Uconn is Uconn.

And I don't believe for one minute teams will try to duck us to make us irrelevant. That's just frustrated and jealous posters/ fans of teams who can't compete with us.

Reaction Score
Please do not bring up inconvenient facts that get in the way of a good argument. They really aren't necessary around here.

This getting-to-be-hoary topic is the province of Chicken Littles, writers who are desperate for a new topic, and UConn haters who are willing to blow up any perceived argument against UConn, with the hope of eventually bringing down Goliath.

I wish Nan would let this crap/speculation topic be covered once a year from now on. Eventually we'll get an historical perspective so we can compare reality to the guesswork.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Didn't UCF just win one of the big four BCS Bowl ?
AAC took Big East's spot in the Big 6 power conferences.

Starting next year, it is the Big 5 power conferences, the AAC shares with the MAC, Mountain West, and 2 others the possibility of one team (from those conferences put together) making the party. I'm not sure the spot is even guaranteed or if is similar to the past where someone from a non-power conference "could" qualify.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This getting-to-be-hoary topic is the province of Chicken Littles, writers who are desperate for a new topic, and UConn haters who are willing to blow up any perceived argument against UConn, with the hope of eventually bringing down Goliath.

I wish Nan would let this crap/speculation topic be covered once a year from now on. Eventually we'll get an historical perspective so we can compare reality to the guesswork.
I for one see very little downside (at the present time) to UConn Women's Basketball being in the AAC. There may be long term issues, but lets be real, with the rate that things change, who knows.

My argument is in the broader picture; I'm sorry, but AAC football WILL be getting the short end of the stick starting next season. To the extent that school's need football revenue (at least as things stand now), no one can possibly think that AAC membership is better than membership in one of the power 5. Again, this could change in the future, but for the immediate, it is simply a fact.

Reaction Score
At one time, we played in what was referred to as the "Big Least."

"At one time" translates to over 30 years. So you just swallowed that slur without objection? It is, and always was, just a cheap shot by fans of teams in other conferences. The so-called "Big Least" always kicked butt in men's basketball. Right from the start, half the schools were not funding football, so what's the point in talking about Bowl Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom