Hometown Interview With Kyla | The Boneyard

Hometown Interview With Kyla

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Didn't think I could adore her more than I already did, but after reading that article, I DO!!

I know she will be a success whatever she does. Playing overseas is not easy, and there are limits to the numbers of Americans some teams can have, but there are smaller leagues that would be lucky to have such a tremendous person and player as Kyla on their roster. I wish her continued success!!

Reaction Score
If only every college athlete had her attitude. Now like Geno said in the presser yesterday "transferring when it gets hard is the American way."

Reaction Score
Kyla and Molly need to coach. They would be great additions to a profession that has a desperate shortage of quality people.
I think both of them may go to graduate school. They can easily be the starter in some schools.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kyla and Molly need to coach. They would be great additions to a profession that has a desperate shortage of quality people.
I have believed from early on that Kyla wants to follow in her mother's footsteps and become a coach. Who better to learn from than the GOAT?! That's why she chose UConn, even if playing time was limited.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Great article. Leading scorer back home. Im waiting for her to break out and score more. She done it before and this is the time for her to do it now.

Reaction Score
State High Alum Kyla Irwin Finds Her Niche as a UConn Huskie

The writer may have spelled Husky incorrectly, but at least he didn’t call her Kayla. :rolleyes:

And going overseas to play?! I hope she kills it!

Many thanks for finding this and sharing. I was very moved by it, not because it was a 'nice' piece, but something else. I have always considered it such an affront to (our)players when their times on the court is characterize as 'garbage time.' For me, it erases everything about the player- reducing them to the minutes play, starter or bench player, etc. What I read here is nothing short of the complexity of student athlete. For those who thinks it is only milk and honey think again. Much is ask of them. I hope those reading your post will call-out posters who tell us that there is 'garbage-time' and players designated for such times. Does Kyla fits that model!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Not to take anything away from Kyla or this wonderful article but I am guessing that every "bench" player that has stuck it out for their 4 years would feel the same as Kyla does...that the UConn program and coaches are life changing and you get out of it what you put in to it.
Kyla and the other "bench" players throughout the years are also who made UConn WBB the greatest game on the planet, even if their jerseys are not hanging up on the wall.

Reaction Score
I have believed from early on that Kyla wants to follow in her mother's footsteps and become a coach. Who better to learn from than the GOAT?! That's why she chose UConn, even if playing time was limited.
Aren't we going to need a new graduate assistant next year on the coaching 'staff'? ;) :cool:

Last edited:

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
I have one small nit to pick with this article - nothing to do with Kyla, and, only slightly with the writer. But, the author does something not uncommon, when listing the UConn "greats" preceding Kyla: he forgets Tina Charles.
Tina Charles. All-American, post player for two undefeated championship teams, NCAA finals MOP, and, when she graduated, the all-time leading scorer and rebounder in program history.
Tina Charles. WNBA Rookie of the year, #1 draft pick, MVP, 6-time (at least) All-Star, career scoring leader for the Liberty.
Tina Charles, two-time Olympic champion. 3-time World Cup champion

That Tina Charles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom