Home and Home with Florida | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Home and Home with Florida

Reaction Score
Does TD Garden even host regular season college games anymore? It's not like UConn can just magically tell the Garden "make way for us." Also how big of a crowd do you think we would draw in Boston against a RI catholic school?
With an open date they would do it. A few years ago there was a doubleheader with UConn playing Gonzaga and PC and BC playing on the undercard.

Reaction Score
Love the Florida series. We need more H/H series against the top 1/3 of the P6, even better one with championship pedigree.

Reaction Score
View attachment 37131
wHaT do THeY geT OuT of PLaYiNG uS?
giphy.gif

We get a lot. We get a drivable road game for our fans, especially fans like me in the Boston area. We get a potentially decent RPI team, and at least somebody who's name looks better than UMKC. Plus there is good will. They didn't help up get in the ACC last time. Do you think we might want as many friends in the ACC as possible for the next time? Forget the past. Look forward and let that determine our actions.

Side note: love the Florida games. Great idea.
“Didn’t help us”???

They blocked us. They can eat tihs and die.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Does TD Garden even host regular season college games anymore? It's not like UConn can just magically tell the Garden "make way for us." Also how big of a crowd do you think we would draw in Boston against a RI catholic school?

Bigger than we’d draw in NYC agaisnt the same school. UConn is closer to Boston than NY.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

“Didn’t help us”???

They blocked us. They can eat tihs and die.

Yes. The definition of living in the past. They are in a position to help or hurt. The AD is gone. I say mend anything we can in hopes that they help next time instead of blocking.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
We need more H/H series against the top 1/3 of the P6, even better one with championship pedigree.

Getting tougher and tougher to do...

Reaction Score
Well yeah, they're all from new jersey
Funny you should say that, my cousin married a Miami grad from Jersey. His family are big boosters for the program, the coach was even at the wedding in Coconut Grove. The whole family is annoying, all they talked about was money and Miami football.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
College bball is doing just fine without Gtown, it's not like the nba without the knicks.

but i'd prefer gtown over PC too for the DMV exposure. Hurley wants to get that pipeline flowing again.

The NBA hasn't had the Knicks (really) for decades. It's doing fine too.

As you say, it's a good area to be relevant in.

Reaction Score
Yes. The definition of living in the past. They are in a position to help or hurt. The AD is gone. I say mend anything we can in hopes that they help next time instead of blocking.
Do you not understand why they blocked us? They aren’t going to let us in. It’s up to the rest of the ACC to convince them to vote for us. It won’t be because we played them in basketball and football.

Reaction Score
Gotta imagine AD. But I’m sure Hurley has a say
With everything on his plate, where to schedule the Lafayette game for the maximum impact is at or near the bottom of the list. Criticizing Hurley for the location of this game is silly.

Reaction Score
With everything on his plate, where to schedule the Lafayette game for the maximum impact is at or near the bottom of the list. Criticizing Hurley for the location of this game is silly.
I didn’t criticize him. Exactly the opposite. I don’t think he knew how much of a disadvantage XL was. Why is this coming off as a bad take? We all know XL sucks. Plus this schedule was done before he even got here so obvi none of this was on Hurley. It was on AD.

Reaction Score
I didn’t criticize him. Exactly the opposite. I don’t think he knew how much of a disadvantage XL was. Why is this coming off as a bad take? We all know XL sucks. Plus this schedule was done before he even got here so obvi none of this was on Hurley. It was on AD.
“While Hurley hasn’t come out and said it, he has at times hinted a little bit of frustration over the dual-home arena situation — noting UConn doesn’t enjoy an overwhelming homecourt advantage when playing at XL, where it has only practiced sparingly.” From an article by newstimes. Im not accusing Hurley of anything when it comes to scheduling. All I’m saying is that I’m assuming in the future there will be changes made. Sorry don’t mean to change these thread topics but I don’t think I’m being outlandish.

Reaction Score
We’re in the wrong thread but saying Hurley doesn’t understand how UConn works and then whining about the game you watched on TV not having enough people there seems like criticism but my bad if I took it the wrong way.

It was 6PM because TV dictated that. UConn has no control over that.

It’s Lafayette on a Wednesday sandwiched between Arizona and FSU in Newark. Nobody was driving to Gamble to see that game either.

The hand-wringing about how it looks on tv is a waste of time. When we had 3,000 in Hartford to watch Marathon Oil, it didn’t stop us from bringing in the talent to win national championships.

I was at Gampel for UMKC. The crowd wasn’t exactly deafening. Plenty of seats. We showed on Sunday that fans will fill that place with great energy. The problem isn’t the XL center. The problem is we were playing Lafayette.

Reaction Score
We’re in the wrong thread but saying Hurley doesn’t understand how UConn works and then whining about the game you watched on TV not having enough people there seems like criticism but my bad if I took it the wrong way.

It’s Lafayette I’m a Wednesday sandwiched between Arizona and FSU in Newark. Nobody was driving to Gamble to see that game either.

The hand-wringing about how it looks on tv is a waste of time. When we had 3,000 in Hartford to watch Marathon Oil, it didn’t stop us from bringing in the talent to win national championships.
Well to bring it back to this thread I really truly hope we play Florida at gampel. It’s been years since we’ve had a legit home game. That 2013 Florida game was insane. It just stinks having to play big name schools in Hartford. Like when we played Texas in 2010 at Gampel, it just is a better atmosphere. Why make our kids take the bus to Hartford and stay overnight? Make the opponent do the work. That’s an advantage. I really hope AD and Hurley schedule this in Storrs. But it’ll be in Hartford Bc we need to save the city

Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with being cocky. Thinking UConn is scared to play PC is just stupid.

The reality is most UConn fans would enjoy a matchup with PC in the near future, including me. But I wouldn’t want to sacrifice games against big-name programs like Nova, Cuse, Zona and Florida to make a matchup with PC happen.

Every program needs a certain number of home games per season, so neutral site and home-and-home opportunities are limited. If we’re having trouble finding those opportunities I’d say schedule something with PC, BC or UMass. Otherwise aim to play the bigger fish.

Who said UConn is scared to play PC? I said don't look down on them. If you don't know why it's because you're not paying attention to how well they've recruited the past several years and this year they have a better roster than UConn.

I also said yesterday that playing a "big" game like Arizona as part of a home and home may generate as much revenue as playing both Lafayette and New Hampshire as home games. Do the math. If you draw 15,000 for the "big" one vs. 6,500 per game for the two mid-majors you have more fans in the seats and the quality of the opponent may even allow UConn to charge a premium for non-season ticket holders for the "big" games.

Reaction Score

It’s Lafayette on a Wednesday sandwiched between Arizona and FSU in Newark. Nobody was driving to Gamble to see that game either.

I was at Gampel for UMKC. The crowd wasn’t exactly deafening. Plenty of seats. We showed on Sunday that fans will fill that place with great energy. The problem isn’t the XL center. The problem is we were playing Lafayette.

You're absolutely right about the XL.

Anyone who has been there for big games knows it's as loud or louder than Gampel. I think I recall Calhoun even agreeing about how loud and great an environment the XL can be.

The first time we felt it was the 1990 home games with Syracuse and Georgetown. The building was truly electric and you could feel the vibrations from the crowd noise in your whole body. Bedlam would be a good description of how loud and fun was.

Reaction Score

Anyone who has been there for big games knows it's as loud or louder than Gampel. I think I recall Calhoun even agreeing about how loud and great an environment the XL can be.

The first time we felt it was the 1990 home games with Syracuse and Georgetown. The building was truly electric and you could feel the vibrations from the crowd noise in your whole body. Bedlam would be a good description of how loud and fun was.
Of course it is a great place to play big games. Something about the “big” game at gampel has been missing these last few years tho. Wouldn’t it be nice to play a name brand (other than AAC) program at Gampel again?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

This all may be true, but Gampel is a tougher place for opponents to get a win in a packed house imo.

Reaction Score
Who said UConn is scared to play PC? I said don't look down on them. If you don't know why it's because you're not paying attention to how well they've recruited the past several years and this year they have a better roster than UConn.

I also said yesterday that playing a "big" game like Arizona as part of a home and home may generate as much revenue as playing both Lafayette and New Hampshire as home games. Do the math. If you draw 15,000 for the "big" one vs. 6,500 per game for the two mid-majors you have more fans in the seats and the quality of the opponent may even allow UConn to charge a premium for non-season ticket holders for the "big" games.

To answer your first question, if you read my post I said PC fans are saying UConn is scared to play them. I said that is nonsense. You went on to tell me not to look down on them (which I’m not) because they have a good team (which I know). I just said the reason we havn’t played them has nothing to do with being scared. I would still rather play those other national brand programs any day. People outside of New England and the Big East don’t care about PC.

With respect to scheduling more home-and-homes instead of cupcakes I wish we would. It’s something that gets talked about here every year. The program hasn’t changed it’s view on that and if you look around the country what top-tier programs don’t have a home-heavy non-conference schedule? Rarely do any of those programs play more than two true road games. I’m sure if it made sense financially to change the way things are like you say every school would be doing all home-and-homes. I’m sure others here can point out the reasons why schools don’t do it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom