Holy Cross hockey could be moving to Hockey East, DCU Center | The Boneyard

Holy Cross hockey could be moving to Hockey East, DCU Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So Holy Cross would get a waiver on the campus rink rule? Or are they talking about enlarging the Hart Center? Not addressed in the article.

Interesting that the article says the league minimum arena capacity is 4,000 rather than 5,000. That may be why Freitas may get away with 4,500.

Also interesting that the two UMass schools and Notre Dame do not have women's hockey teams.

And finally, it looks like UConn was a women's hockey is a charter member in HE. Did not know that although I suspect that some schools had teams before that date but there was no formal league.

Reaction Score
So Holy Cross would get a waiver on the campus rink rule? Or are they talking about enlarging the Hart Center? Not addressed in the article.

Interesting that the article says the league minimum arena capacity is 4,000 rather than 5,000. That may be why Freitas may get away with 4,500.

The article alludes to the fact that they will be playing home games @ DCU ("That move would require the Crusaders to play their home games at the DCU Center."). Heck DCU is only 3 miles from campus.

Reaction Score
And finally, it looks like UConn was a women's hockey is a charter member in HE. Did not know that although I suspect that some schools had teams before that date but there was no formal league.

Hockey East Women came together around the same time that UConn football jumped to D-1A, so the timing was good as UConn needed a few new women's varsity programs to remain Title IX complaint. Lacrosse and Crew were the other two women's programs to make the jump, both were clubs beforehand.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Is DCU the old Centrum?

Reaction Score
I commented on this in the other thread. I think HE should take its time considering HC. Not only is DCU off-campus, albeit just a few miles, but there is very little interaction between HC and the city. If you go to a hockey game at the Hart Center, you'll see very few locals that aren't affiliated with the college. They will need to draw thousands of additional fans to DCU to make this work and I'm very skeptical that will happen. UConn can pull it off because it's State U. The College of the Holy Cross - not so much.

I just took a quick look at the HC website and they are currently doing a major renovation of the Hart Center. Hockey is barely mentioned as the emphasis is on locker rooms, the basketball arena, and building a large Shenkman-like practice facility.

Reaction Score
Yes, and it's a TERRIBLE facility. Eons worse than XL. It'd immediately be the worst home rink in Hockey East.

When was the last time that you were at the DCU Center. Worcester has put a lot of money to upgrade the facility. Not perfect but a lot better.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how tis works out. The AHA just announced they were going to the max 18 scholarships.

Reaction Score
When was the last time that you were at the DCU Center. Worcester has put a lot of money to upgrade the facility. Not perfect but a lot better.
Admittedly not for a few years and not since the 2013 renovations. That said, from people I know who went to NCAA tournament games when the regionals were held there, they said inside the seating bowl was virtually untouched. The interior is just plain ugly and it's old. There are also a few terrible sightlines in the lower level. It's also WAY too big for Holy Cross anyways. They'd be playing in front of maybe 2,500 people in a 14K arena.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
If this is true, my guess is the ECAC stands on firm ground. There's no way QU would let this happen if the ECAC was going to fall apart. Holy Cross to the HE would be nuts. Only Worcester would rejoice. And maybe fans who'd travel there for road games.

Reaction Score
People have been predicting the break up of the ECAC for the 30+ years since the modern version was created when HE broke off. Barring a decision by Penn and Columbia to add (or in the case of Penn it would be to restore) hockey as a varsity sport, that won't happen. I think the Ivies realize that a six or even seven team makes no sense for the long-term. They have a set of academically and geographically aligned schools they are comfortable and competitive with and the combination seems to be working better than it has at any time since he mid-90s. Now, if QU, with its facilities and recruiting advantages, were to rip of 5 or 6 consecutive league championships, perhaps that would change.

Reaction Score
I'm skeptical about Holy Cross and their marketability too. I have to question if there is a market for hockey in Worcester, especially for 2 teams. As for the ECAC, I've never bought that "it's going away." Fact is that it works pretty well. I think the Big 10 has shown the fallacy of a small league. The Ivies can crown a champ as a sort of subset of the ECAC and still play a pretty well balanced schedule.

Reaction Score
HC to HE not happening. (read from bottom to top) The league will be going to an unbalanced 24-game schedule in 17-18 with two games against all teams, and four games against two opponents determined through an algorithm based on previous year's results. For the time being, this is the best move for HE. There's no rush to add HC, who is a weak addition at best, and who will be there a few years down the road if they become an option again.

Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 12m12 minutes agoBoston, MA
  1. Told that could change down the road, but the league is prepared to move forward with 11 teams for the time being.

2. Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 13m13 minutes agoBoston, MA
    Many league ADs liked their academic profile and what they could bring, but too many concerns to move forward at this time.

3. Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 13m13 minutes agoBoston, MA
    Told there was some good interest in HC as a 12th team, but w/ pro team, HC would have been forced to host many weeknight games.

2 retweets0 likes

4. Mike McMahon ‏@MikeMcMahonCHN 14m14 minutes agoBoston, MA
    Per sources, Hockey East ADs have decided to "hold off" on Holy Cross for now as a 12th men's team. Concerns over availability of DCU.

Reaction Score
@brasssbonanzaa first thought that came into my mind when I saw the mention of playing weeknight games was that there is already a issue with one school (UConn) why add another.

Reaction Score
@brasssbonanzaa first thought that came into my mind when I saw the mention of playing weeknight games was that there is already a issue with one school (UConn) why add another.
Much less one with no fanbase, a small athletic department with few resources, and in an arena markedly worse than XL. Would've been a ridiculous inclusion. An 11-team conference schedule is tenable and an 11-team conference tournament is very doable. Team 11 doesn't get in - sorry, you suck, 7-10, 8-9 play in, winners move to QFs.

Reaction Score
Bentley might even become a better add than Holy Cross down the road. Sacred Heart needs a new head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom