Holtmann to DePaul? | The Boneyard

Holtmann to DePaul?

Reaction Score
Holtmann is a solid coach, but he is not what DePaul needs. That program needs somebody with a dynamic personality, who has some name recognition/experience with major re-builds, and maybe above all, is willing to fail. There is a reason that program has been as bad as it's been for so long and I don't see that changing without taking some major swings. Bobby Hurley comes to mind as a potential fit, but I'm not sure he'd want to coach against his brother twice a year.

Reaction Score
I love this. Perfect situation. Nothing to lose. Nowhere to go but up for both (even though he won conference COY 2xs, people have short memories). A great city. Great campus. Great conference. Best coaches in the entire ncaa.

Reaction Score
Holtmann is a solid coach, but he is not what DePaul needs. That program needs somebody with a dynamic personality, who has some name recognition/experience with major re-builds, and maybe above all, is willing to fail. There is a reason that program has been as bad as it's been for so long and I don't see that changing without taking some major swings. Bobby Hurley comes to mind as a potential fit, but I'm not sure he'd want to coach against his brother twice a year.
If he takes the job he knows early failure is almost a given. But you make some solid points.

Reaction Score
If he takes the job he knows early failure is almost a given. But you make some solid points.
By fail, I mean fail spectacularly. In other words, I think you need to have a big enough personality to absorb being a punchline for a while (because it's better than being irrelevant). Say what you want about Cooley, but he's leaned that role much like Hurley did when he took the UConn job. It's necessary at a job like that, because if you aren't willing to be shamed for failure, people aren't going to think you're serious about believing you can succeed.

Reaction Score
That program needs somebody with a dynamic personality, who has some name recognition/experience with major re-builds, and maybe above all, is willing to fail.

There is a 0% chance that Depaul can find a coach that can fit this bill. Dan Hurley fit this bill when we hired him aside from whatever "being willing to fail" is--do you think he would have agreed to go to Depaul?

Reaction Score
There is a 0% chance that Depaul can find a coach that can fit this bill. Dan Hurley fit this bill when we hired him aside from whatever "being willing to fail" is--do you think he would have agreed to go to Depaul?
Dan Hurley? Of course not. But he was at a different stage of his career, having already established himself as one of the best young coaches in the country.

I'd agree it's pretty unlikely they find someone who meets my criteria. Maybe a Bruce Pearl type of guy, but I doubt his job is in any real jeopardy.

xclamations

Portal Kombat III
Reaction Score
Idc who DePoo hires tbh; I like lil demon logo? But what have they really done for the big east. They're just... there.
trade them for Loyola chicago ha...
& Dayton is a big east school they fit the culture js
(toss in expansion rant)

Reaction Score
Dude, their last 4 hires were Jerry Wainwright, Oliver Purnell, Dave Leitao for a second time, and Tony Stubblefield. They're 3-22 this season, 0-14 in the Big East and they're getting like 500 fans to their games.

You think they're going to get someone better than Chris Holtmann?

Reaction Score
That's exactly what I thought, he just described Dan Hurley. I didn't know what the willing to fail thing meant either.

Reaction Score
Dude, their last 4 hires were Jerry Wainwright, Oliver Purnell, Dave Leitao for a second time, and Tony Stubblefield. They're 3-22 this season, 0-14 in the Big East and they're getting like 500 fans to their games.

I don't know, but it doesn't really change anything about the rest of my post. The program is not going to be competitive with a guy like Holtmann unless the changes start at the top. Perhaps his interest signifies that he expects that to happen, but I'll believe it when I see it. Neither the school nor the Big East has had any interest in having a competitive basketball program before.

Reaction Score
It’s the best hire they’re going to get if the reports are true. Now good luck taking that job and I emphasize GOOD LUCK.

caw

Reaction Score

The place where coaches go to die.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom