Holly Warlick Contract Extension [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Holly Warlick Contract Extension [merged thread]

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Maybe the talent that for inexplicable reasons continues to go there will bail them out in the regular season, but they will remain pretenders under Ms. Holly. Meanwhile, I will get to enjoy multiple Holly "I don't know....I just don't know" Pressers! :D

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
.@phillipfulmer: "There is no one better suited to lead what is one of the most unique and tradition-laden programs in the sport. Holly and her staff have recruited at an elite level, and the young women have developed on the court while also excelling academically."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In fairness... Holly HAS recruited gangbusters. People just complain she's not developing players.

For all the "Mercedes never developed", what exactly has she accomplished this year in the WNBA so far? She barely made a roster and gets garbage time. Possibly she simply was not as good as her #1 ranking indicated. It remains to be seen if she improves next year, but she's just not that good. And Nared isn't exactly lighting it up for Vegas either.

The scary part is they were the 2 best players on the team. Not sure if they were just over rated coming out of HS, if Holly really didn't develop them, or something else. I have no doubt Hayes, Westbrook and Davis will all be better this year, but they still lost their 2 best players. And I'm not convinced the freshmen they have coming in are "impact" players. Probably good to be sure, but I doubt they are going to light anything up, unless Holly plays them big minutes and lets them do whatever they want.

Not sure what my point is now that I think about it. But Holly has recruited as well as anyone in WCBB. we will see what that means in the next few years.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
In fairness... Holly HAS recruited gangbusters. People just complain she's not developing players.

For all the "Mercedes never developed", what exactly has she accomplished this year in the WNBA so far? She barely made a roster and gets garbage time. Possibly she simply was not as good as her #1 ranking indicated. It remains to be seen if she improves next year, but she's just not that good. And Nared isn't exactly lighting it up for Vegas either.

The scary part is they were the 2 best players on the team. Not sure if they were just over rated coming out of HS, if Holly really didn't develop them, or something else. I have no doubt Hayes, Westbrook and Davis will all be better this year, but they still lost their 2 best players. And I'm not convinced the freshmen they have coming in are "impact" players. Probably good to be sure, but I doubt they are going to light anything up, unless Holly plays them big minutes and lets them do whatever they want.

Not sure what my point is now that I think about it. But Holly has recruited as well as anyone in WCBB. we will see what that means in the next few years.

Russell not being a WNBA caliber player means she wasn’t developed. She didn’t come into college with a WNBA ready game, but most number one recruits don’t. None of KLS, Walker Stewart, Charles, Wilson, etc. had polished games by the time they hit college. Their games were developed and improved during their 4 years. That’s a sign of good coaching.

Tennessee’s players just don’t improve as much, if at all under Holly. Guards don’t learn what’s a good shot, how to make a good entry pass, and how to run any sort of offense. Posts do not learn necessary skills needed for the pro game and players just aren’t much better than they coming into the program, nor are they challenged to work hard or held accountable when they play lazy or sloppy basketball. Russell is a prime example of that. I have little doubt that Russell would’ve been a star player at many other schools but she just didn’t make big strides under Holly and wasn’t pushed to improve as a player. I posted this on Volnation, but from 2011-2014, Tennessee landed 5 of the 20 players who were ranked top 5 in their class. 0 went on to become All-Americans, while 9 of the 14 others (1 didn’t play college basketball) become AP All Americans, with 8 of them earning AP honors in multiple seasons. All of the #1 recruits were multiple season AAs besides Russell. None of the 5 players look like they’ll be strong WNBA players besides Deshields who only played under Holly for 2 years. That is extremely telling.

Talent without coaching can only get you so far. Tennessee has been the poster child for this the last few years under Holly. Same with McGuff at Ohio State. The scary thing about this situation for Tennessee fans is that Holly is recruiting well enough to put together teams that appear to be top 5-10 on paper, but they perform like a 20-30th ranked team that will many some games solely on talent, but they’ll never compete for a title under Holly. Quite the change from Pat’s era of greatness.

Top recruits will still come because Tennessee is one of the easiest schools to recruit to (facilities, fan base, historical success, location, etc), so I don’t doubt that Holly will continue to land good kids, but the program will continue to be mediocre as long as she is there.

This upcoming season has high potential to be a disastrous one for Tennessee. The only proven player they have coming back is Davis...there is zero proven experience in the post and both returning point guards struggled shooting the ball and had awful A/TO ratios. The incoming class has a lot of kids, but no one who appears to be a stud that can average double figures from the get go. It’s a very young roster too. Holly has her work cut out for her.

Reaction Score
I guess if the Lady Vol program wants to continuously recruit elite talent, underachieve every year, and have their players leave the program mediocre instead of elite as they went into the program....... Then there truly isn't anyone better suited than Holly.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

DeShields has been having a successful rookie campaign and Tennessee underachieved during her years there as well. That's a case where Holly clearly had a player with WNBA talent.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Russell is a rookie. Seattle has a MVP type player in Stewart. Also Howard is is a pretty good player.

Reaction Score
animated_1533952152703001.gif

Reaction Score
I feel like both Russell and Nared would have had much more successful careers had they stayed home and played under Rueck and Oregon State. Can’t blame them for making the decision as Oregon State and Oregon were both pretty much at their low point when they were both being recruited, but I was surprised to see Westbrook go to Tennessee too, where she saw former top recruits out of Oregon and the lackluster performances they were having at Tennessee while Oregon State was making Final fours. I think Russell couldve been a too player if she developed the way Oregon St. developed Hamblin and Gulich

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In all honesty, I feel bad for dedicated Lady Vol fans. After years of being one of the top programs in WBB under Pat Summit, TN has embraced mediocrity under HW. I’m sure that VolNation is hurting.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I feel like both Russell and Nared would have had much more successful careers had they stayed home and played under Rueck and Oregon State. Can’t blame them for making the decision as Oregon State and Oregon were both pretty much at their low point when they were both being recruited, but I was surprised to see Westbrook go to Tennessee too, where she saw former top recruits out of Oregon and the lackluster performances they were having at Tennessee while Oregon State was making Final fours. I think Russell couldve been a too player if she developed the way Oregon St. developed Hamblin and Gulich

Agreed. I’m honestly surprised that there weren’t any transfers this offseason by the freshmen. Holly had to play the freshmen more than she probably wanted to with Cooper and Deshields leaving in the offseason, but both PGs looked super burnt out by the end of the year after they were tossed in the fire when they weren’t ready for it. They’ll be in control of the team this year as sophomores and have their chance to take on a bigger role, but if they have another tough year maybe a lightbulb will go off that it’s probably in their best interest to transfer to a school where they’ll get better coaching.

Reaction Score
In all honesty, I feel bad for dedicated Lady Vol fans. After years of being one of the top programs in WBB under Pat Summit, TN has embraced mediocrity under HW. I’m sure that VolNation is hurting.
What??? I don't feel bad for them at all - they deserve it. For all I care the mediocrity can continue into eternity. Holly's extension is a good head start on that - self-inflicted mediocrity.

In 2022, when this latest contract extension expires and the Lady Vols again crash out of the NCAA tourney in round 2 (if they even get in), that year's crop of incoming high school recruits will have been 3 years old the last time TN won a national championship. How long has it been since Tennessee had a bona fide All American? This is just a place where McDonald's AA's go to regress into averageness. The Lady Vols are already irrelevant. They'll soon be irrelevant and long forgotten.

Reaction Score
Wow, I am absolutely amazed that she got an extension! I think we should look to enter the coaching ranks, there are not many jobs in this world, where you can be as bad as Warlick, and still get a contract extension!

Reaction Score
Tennessee’s players just don’t improve as much, if at all under Holly. Guards don’t learn what’s a good shot, how to make a good entry pass, and how to run any sort of offense. Posts do not learn necessary skills needed for the pro game and players just aren’t much better than they coming into the program, nor are they challenged to work hard or held accountable when they play lazy or sloppy basketball. Russell is a prime example of that. I have little doubt that Russell would’ve been a star player at many other schools but she just didn’t make big strides under Holly and wasn’t pushed to improve as a player. I posted this on Volnation, but from 2011-2014, Tennessee landed 5 of the 20 players who were ranked top 5 in their class. 0 went on to become All-Americans, while 9 of the 14 others (1 didn’t play college basketball) become AP All Americans, with 8 of them earning AP honors in multiple seasons. All of the #1 recruits were multiple season AAs besides Russell. None of the 5 players look like they’ll be strong WNBA players besides Deshields who only played under Holly for 2 years. That is extremely telling.

Talent without coaching can only get you so far. Tennessee has been the poster child for this the last few years under Holly. Same with McGuff at Ohio State. The scary thing about this situation for Tennessee fans is that Holly is recruiting well enough to put together teams that appear to be top 5-10 on paper, but they perform like a 20-30th ranked team that will many some games solely on talent, but they’ll never compete for a title under Holly.

Great insight BB..... yes goes to the coaching and the fundamentals.... and as a former coach, I see things that are easy to spot and I think are elementary to correct..... I have always thought that Holly does not have the respect of her players to the degree that they will listen to her and implement her teachings... that is if she passes along anything worth embracing.... I give Mercedes a pass.... only because once in a while highly touted prospects are not for real.... but yes she would have been better off with Altman or Rueuk.... Holly has been able to recruit well, yet her teams go nowhere.... no surprise to objective fans where the problem lies

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What??? I don't feel bad for them at all - they deserve it. For all I care the mediocrity can continue into eternity. Holly's extension is a good head start on that - self-inflicted mediocrity.

In 2022, when this latest contract extension expires and the Lady Vols again crash out of the NCAA tourney in round 2 (if they even get in), that year's crop of incoming high school recruits will have been 3 years old the last time TN won a national championship. How long has it been since Tennessee had a bona fide All American? This is just a place where McDonald's AA's go to regress into averageness. The Lady Vols are already irrelevant. They'll soon be irrelevant and long forgotten.
While I agree with your suggestion that the Lady Vols are becoming irrelevant, I’m not sure why you would suggest that loyal Lady Vol fans “deserve” mediocrity. Many of these fans are knowledgeable individuals who have been asking...no begging for a coaching change for years. Their pleas have been falling on deaf ears at TN. This latest contract extension for HW has to be a bitter pill for many long suffering supporters of the Lady Vols.

Reaction Score
Wow, I am absolutely amazed that she got an extension! I think we should look to enter the coaching ranks, there are not many jobs in this world, where you can be as bad as Warlick, and still get a contract extension!

How much of the contract is guaranteed? or is this a ploy to help to recruit

Reaction Score
How much of the contract is guaranteed? or is this a ploy to help to recruit
Almost all coaching contracts are fully guaranteed, and almost all NCAA coaching contract extensions are a “ploy” to help recruiting.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Have some chocolate @j66kicker - very good for the mood.

Reaction Score
Russell not being a WNBA caliber player means she wasn’t developed. She didn’t come into college with a WNBA ready game, but most number one recruits don’t. None of KLS, Walker Stewart, Charles, Wilson, etc. had polished games by the time they hit college. Their games were developed and improved during their 4 years. That’s a sign of good coaching.

Talent without coaching can only get you so far. Tennessee has been the poster child for this the last few years under Holly. Same with McGuff at Ohio State. The scary thing about this situation for Tennessee fans is that Holly is recruiting well enough to put together teams that appear to be top 5-10 on paper, but they perform like a 20-30th ranked team that will many some games solely on talent, but they’ll never compete for a title under Holly. Quite the change from Pat’s era of greatness.

Top recruits will still come because Tennessee is one of the easiest schools to recruit to (facilities, fan base, historical success, location, etc), so I don’t doubt that Holly will continue to land good kids, but the program will continue to be mediocre as long as she is there.

This upcoming season has high potential to be a disastrous one for Tennessee. The only proven player they have coming back is Davis...there is zero proven experience in the post and both returning point guards struggled shooting the ball and had awful A/TO ratios. The incoming class has a lot of kids, but no one who appears to be a stud that can average double figures from the get go. It’s a very young roster too. Holly has her work cut out for her.
Quite a while ago, when I use to periodically access the Lady Vols site , I posted that the Vols were missing-out on not signing Kara Lawson as their next coach. It was no great revelation on my part in that she has, had all the right credentials : a highly successful former point guard, a Tenn alum and most importantly, an exceptionally keen basketball mind. Then, as now, she lacked coaching experience, and Tenn posters shot her potential candidacy down based on a “no experience” qualifier . Whether she would have considered coaching back then , is unknown. She now has indicated she would definitely consider it ...assuming the right opportunity. Tennessee may have missed the boat, at least temporarily, on the type individual with the potential for turning their program around ( again dominating the SEC and again becoming a Final Four candidate..similiar to past exploits ).

Reaction Score
While I agree with your suggestion that the Lady Vols are becoming irrelevant, I’m not sure why you would suggest that loyal Lady Vol fans “deserve” mediocrity. Many of these fans are knowledgeable individuals who have been asking...no begging for a coaching change for years. Their pleas have been falling on deaf ears at TN. This latest contract extension for HW has to be a bitter pill for many long suffering supporters of the Lady Vols.
UT filed NCAA complaint alleging UConn violations

May the pill be more bitter and the suffering be longer.

Reaction Score
Quite a while ago, when I use to periodically access the Lady Vols site , I posted that the Vols were missing-out on not signing Kara Lawson as their next coach. It was no great revelation on my part in that she has, had all the right credentials : a highly successful former point guard, a Tenn alum and most importantly, an exceptionally keen basketball mind. Then, as now, she lacked coaching experience, and Tenn posters shot her potential candidacy down based on a “no experience” qualifier . Whether she would have considered coaching back then , is unknown. She now has indicated she would definitely consider it ...assuming the right opportunity. Tennessee may have missed the boat, at least temporarily, on the type individual with the potential for turning their program around ( again dominating the SEC and again becoming a Final Four candidate..similiar to past exploits ).
I should have indicated that, although she also played the point, Kara was primarily a shooting guard. My error.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom