Hire Jon Gruden | The Boneyard

Hire Jon Gruden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whatever it costs - get it done. We are at rock bottom right now. We need hope

Reaction Score
Whatever it costs - get it done. We are at rock bottom right now. We need hope

Yeah... UT Booster offered him part ownership in the Browns, we could offer him part ownership of the Whalers, oops, ummm the Colonials, oops, ummm... ummmm.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
If Gruden leaves that cream puff job at Espn he is the worlds biggest ASSHOL3! Why coach again really? College none the less.

Reaction Score
The supposed Arkansas deal for Les Miles just upped the ante for top level coach. And we don't have the boosters to fund that kind of deal if/when it goes south. Best bet is an up and coming HC from a mid-major or OC/DC from a top conference. And be sure that they don't have an AARP card.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What about Darrell Hazell from Kent State?

Reaction Score
While every part of me wants to share in HuskyfanDan's optimism for the future, I truly believe that we will find out a lot about how this entire "scenario" all went down (without anyone from the administration actually saying anything specific) based on actions taken in the near to immediate future.

Hear me out for a second, if Warde does not let go of P this offseason (as rumors have said all along that he will not) and KO is hired to a 3-4 year contract after proving by February that he deserves it (as we have all speculated) then to me, that is incredibly telling. It tells me the administration has been incredibly comfortable with their strategic planning and nothing that has happened is of any cause for concern.

On the flipside of the coin, if P is canned and/or KO is not retained, it tells me that the administration realized "OH ! WE REALLY UP!". And again, this says everything. Warde realizes I need to quickly bring in someone who can infuse a little life into this football program FAST and/or I need to hire a proven coach at the top who can sustain our championship ways (in bball) to be more marketable for the next round of reshuffling.

Reaction Score
You guys all know that P isn't going anywhere next year, right?

So what you're saying is that UConn isn't going anywhere next year either, right? Or for that matter, anytime soon because by the time PP leaves this program will be severely damaged.

Reaction Score
This is silly. Petrino and Tressel have scars that prevent bigtime schools from going after them, thus there is the potential we could attract them (i.e. Leach at WSU, RichRod at Arizona). Gruden is no way in hell coming to UConn.

Reaction Score
This is silly. Petrino and Tressel have scars that prevent bigtime schools from going after them, thus there is the potential we could attract them (i.e. Leach at WSU, RichRod at Arizona). Gruden is no way in hell coming to UConn.

Unless there is a court enjoinment barring Petrino or Tressel from coaching, they'd be great for UConn. Breath a little like in the program. Recruit like they know what they're doing. Speaking of court enjoinments can we get one for PP.

Reaction Score
here's why Uconn needs to hire a big-time coach and pay whatever it takes... PERCEPTION.

uconn doesn't have the luxury of developing a history over the next 10-15 years. It needs instant football credibility now. hiring a top-coach is one way that Uconn can show it is serious about football. Get recruits excited about Uconn. Get the fans excited with lofty expectations and then winning.

Yes. Calhoun was a local up and coming coach that worked out quite well. And Ollie has all the makings of being an up and comer. But the Uconn BB product can afford that... Football needs instant credibility.

Gruden is probably not realistic. But there are plenty of top coaches that are. You want to play with the big boys, you get a coach like the big boys.

Reaction Score
So what you're saying is that UConn isn't going anywhere next year either, right? Or for that matter, anytime soon because by the time PP leaves this program will be severely damaged.

The only thing I am saying, is that whether I like it or not, Pasqualoni will be the head coach at UConn next year.

Reaction Score
here's why Uconn needs to hire a big-time coach and pay whatever it takes... PERCEPTION.

uconn doesn't have the luxury of developing a history over the next 10-15 years. It needs instant football credibility now. hiring a top-coach is one way that Uconn can show it is serious about football. Get recruits excited about Uconn. Get the fans excited with lofty expectations and then winning.

Yes. Calhoun was a local up and coming coach that worked out quite well. And Ollie has all the makings of being an up and comer. But the Uconn BB product can afford that... Football needs instant credibility.

Gruden is probably not realistic. But there are plenty of top coaches that are. You want to play with the big boys, you get a coach like the big boys.

Yeah, what he said!

Reaction Score
The only thing I am saying, is that whether I like it or not, Pasqualoni will be the head coach at UConn next year.

Jimmy, I think you were correct right up to the time of the Louisville announcement. Had UCONN been the ACC pick, PP would have lasted another year. Yesterday, UCONN took a painful hit to the solar plexus, primarily, because of real or perceived short-comings/deficiencies associated with the FB product. If money is the issue, someone should be made to answer questions about future value if the present situation isn't fixed. PP won't be the first coach sacrificed on the PR alter.

Reaction Score
Jimmy, I think you were correct right up to the time of the Louisville announcement. Had UCONN been the ACC pick, PP would have lasted another year. Yesterday, UCONN took a painful hit to the solar plexus, primarily, because of real or perceived short-comings/deficiencies associated with the FB product. If money is the issue, someone should be made to answer questions about future value if the present situation isn't fixed. PP won't be the first coach sacrificed on the PR alter.

You might be right if we lose on Saturday. But if we win and go bowling, there is no chance P gets fired. And to be fair, as much as I killed him all year and called for his firing, I'm not sure firing him would be fair if we ended the year winning 3 straight.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Unless there is a court enjoinment barring Petrino or Tressel from coaching, they'd be great for UConn. Breath a little like in the program. Recruit like they know what they're doing. Speaking of court enjoinments can we get one for PP.

I believe for Tressel there essentially is a 5 year period where his penalties follow him though. Petrino would laugh at UConn and hold out for a Top Tier job that will be available to him.

Gruden?? LO freakin L

Reaction Score

I think the key point here is dead on. I have never been a fan of letting perception have anything to do with a hiring decision. Unfortunately, we no longer have that luxury. I now think perception is critical to our next hire (without performance being any less critical).

Reaction Score
I think the key point here is dead on. I have never been a fan of letting perception have anything to do with a hiring decision. Unfortunately, we no longer have that luxury. I now think perception is critical to our next hire (without performance being any less critical).

Wow. You are never a perception guy. If you are agreeing with us, then it REALLY must be bad.

Letting Pasqualoni come back would just send the message that we don't get it.

We have to go get a real stud, not damaged goods like Tressell, not even Mangini. Mangini has too much negativity around him.

Take that 10 million bucks that we were going to pay the Big East and use it to get great coach and a top staff for at least on contract period.

Reaction Score
Wow. You are never a perception guy. If you are agreeing with us, then it REALLY must be bad.

Letting Pasqualoni come back would just send the message that we don't get it.

We have to go get a real stud, not damaged goods like Tressell, not even Mangini. Mangini has too much negativity around him.

Take that 10 million bucks that we were going to pay the Big East and use it to get great coach and a top staff for at least on contract period.

Wisky: you are 1000% correct. I am not a perception guy, and if I am where I am it is really bad.

Reaction Score
Wisky: you are 1000% correct. I am not a perception guy, and if I am where I am it is really bad.

I actually had to read your post twice to make sure it wasn't some kind of trick.

Reaction Score
I actually had to read your post twice to make sure it wasn't some kind of trick.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Look -- I may be the only person here who says this consistently, but I was dead on, 180 degrees, wrong. I thought that at the conference decision level everything was rational. Not always right or fair but rational. And, in my defense, I think that is how the ACC acted in the past and how the Big acted.

Now we know that perception moves the needle. So our actions need to be vetted not just on how they will actually play out but how they will be perceived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom