Hightower suspended and Griffin waived | The Boneyard

Hightower suspended and Griffin waived

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kelsey Griffin has been a good player for them, what a slap in the face to her. But I guess they gotta do what they gotta do to have players on the floor.

Reaction Score
Looks like there is only one left on the bubble. Can we vote for Kelly to get immunity? :cool:

Reaction Score
Not happy with the Sun waiving Kelsey Griffin. She deserved better from them.

Reaction Score
They don't have bodies. What else are they to do.

I would have waived Hightower- this is third year in a row she can't play and suspended Griffin instead.

Reaction Score
As far as Kelly if she deserves it and performs I hope she makes it and if not it's a cruel and tough world in the WNBA. This is her third year. I think that's when Ann Strother finally gave up. I loved and love Kelly but she has done nothing to help her case to get any further than a 11 or 12th roster spot. Last game I was upset at only a couple of shots.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Kelsey Griffin has been a good player for them, what a slap in the face to her. But I guess they gotta do what they gotta do to have players on the floor.

Very sad news. Kelsey is a very likeable player.

This was a season-ending surgery and she's a free agent next year. Sienko says they intend to resign her. This is bad for the team because Kelsey is a great glue player and hard working role model. But unfortunately it makes sense if her season is over. I just hope Sun management learned a lesson and handled this properly to avoid hard feelings. Shouldn't be a slap in the face.

Reaction Score
I would have waived Hightower- this is third year in a row she can't play and suspended Griffin instead.
But isn't Griffin out for the year and Hightower a possibility or am I reading wrong?

psconn

Reaction Score
As far as Kelly if she deserves it and performs I hope she makes it and if not it's a cruel and tough world in the WNBA. This is her third year. I think that's when Ann Strother finally gave up. I loved and love Kelly but she has done nothing to help her case to get any further than a 11 or 12th roster spot. Last game I was upset at only a couple of shots.

2nd year, right?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Selected with the 15th pick in the 2010 draft from LSU, Hightower appeared in 115 games for the Sun over five seasons, averaging 6.2 points with 189 assists and a 1.8 assist-to-turnover ratio. In 2013, she averaged 12.8 points and was an All Star.

Griffin, scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent after this season, had season-ending arthroscopic surgery on her left hip Friday

I don't know who "deserves" what, but Griffin just had hip surgery Friday, so I have no idea how long she will be out. Also Griffin has averaged under 5 PPG for her career. Hightower averaged much higher numbers, going 6.8, 12.7,and 7.7 PPG the lat 3 years when healthy.

Granted Hightower is a guard, but at 6'2", she's short to play in the post, and a 25% career 3 point shot is not good enough to put her on the wing.

I can't speak to how she was treated or if there was anything nefarious going on, but I was actually surprised she lasted as long as she did in the WNBA...

psconn

Reaction Score
But isn't Griffin out for the year and Hightower a possibility or am I reading wrong?

The free agency plays into this also. Allie is still under contract next year, but like others, I am concerned with her history of injuries.

psconn

Reaction Score
Not happy with the Sun waiving Kelsey Griffin. She deserved better from them.

Not happy either but think it through. If she can't play this year, and she is unrestricted next year it makes sense. Sienko claims to be confident they will resign her next year but who knows, maybe they can upgrade. I think the number of players that can be suspended is limited. They need players who can play in order to avoid burnout and more injuries.

Reaction Score
I was confused that Griffin was waived before Kayla, until I read about the injury.

Reaction Score

Hightower may be able to come back. I'm just at the point where I think her body simply can't stand the rigors of pro ball, she keeps suffering these fairly serious injuries.

Reaction Score
Griffin really made sense. She's out for the season. They'd carry that player and use a roster spot, and then she's a UFA next year anyway and can leave if she wants.

There was no benefit to keeping her on the roster.

Reaction Score
SUN is in deep trouble again.......We dropped our season tickets 3 years ago when the quality players came back from winter ball hurt........WNBA is in trouble.......

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
SUN is in deep trouble again..We dropped our season tickets 3 years ago when the quality players came back from winter ball hurt...WNBA is in trouble..

Sigh. Folks have been saying that for 19 years... Just because the Sun have had a string of bad luck doesn't meant the Lynx aren't kickin' butt and drawing fans... fans who endured a hunk of bad bad years...

What IS interesting was the discussion I had with a college coach who spoke about the big trouble wcbb was in... that he sees it moving to a one semester sport, cutting games and, perhaps, shifting the final four later into the season ... because of dropping attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom