Highlevel Thoughts on 2014 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Highlevel Thoughts on 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would love to see 7-9 wins, but sitting here before game 1, what I really want to see is a team that looks like they actually want to be out there (which the last few games under Weist started to turn around)

To me that was the most painful thing to see last season - it seemed that when something bad would happen (and even on good teams, sometimes you take a sack, get a penalty, whatever), you could just see the whole unit deflate, and would become no shock at all when the next 3 plays just looked terrible. It seemed more prevalent on offense, but mostly I think because on D you had a few key guys like Smallwood who at times just seemed to refuse to let it infect him, and force others to wake themselves up.

Not to get all good old days etc., but its hard not to do the compare and contrast, and while the Edsel teams generally had the rep of not being flashy, grinding out the wins etc. it was also extremely rare to ever see them get overly emotional, seemed to have the mentality that is needed that 1 mistake is not the game, do the next one right

Reaction Score
whale - where have you seen season O/U's online? i am frustrated that i haven't found it at my books. love uconn o 3.5. don't think they will go over by much, but some.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's difficult to take seriously any rating that has us a 2:1 underdog to Memphis, even if it's on the road. That team was horrible and doesn't appear to have improved much. Last season was less about talent than it was preparation, desire, and execution. Three things that had to have improved with the coaching change. And this schedule still sucks, so if you are of a mind, take the over 4 wins as much as you like.

Reaction Score
Ok that's 7.5 wins on a team with an over/under win total of 3.5 in places where you can wager on that sort of thing.

You might be right but 7.5 wins on average for this team is aggressive.

Don't think that's being a 'skeptic'.
I wonder what our over under was in 2007, coming off back to back losing seasons. That team was hungry and Lorenzen provided competent QB play and the team took off. This year has sort of the same feel except I'm hoping Diaco provides competent coaching. I feel that if the offensive line is competent and could keep the sack total in the low to mid thirties for the year, and provide some running lanes, that there is enough offensive skill talent, and enough physical talent on defense to really surprise.

More than anything it is good to go into the season without the dark cloud hanging over the program. Last year I was torn between if "we make a bowl, P returns" and "I just can't cheer for the team to lose". If we go bowling at 6-6, I'll be happy. Anything more than that would be icing on the cake. There are no juggernauts in this league, and we don't play Houston. ECU seems to me like the best team because they return a 4000 yd passer, but I think they will also be facing tougher teams week in week out than they did previously.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I wonder what our over under was in 2007, coming off back to back losing seasons. That team was hungry and Lorenzen provided competent QB play and the team took off. This year has sort of the same feel except I'm hoping Diaco provides competent coaching. I feel that if the offensive line is competent and could keep the sack total in the low to mid thirties for the year, and provide some running lanes, that there is enough offensive skill talent, and enough physical talent on defense to really surprise.

More than anything it is good to go into the season without the dark cloud hanging over the program. Last year I was torn between if "we make a bowl, P returns" and "I just can't cheer for the team to lose". If we go bowling at 6-6, I'll be happy. Anything more than that would be icing on the cake. There are no juggernauts in this league, and we don't play Houston. ECU seems to me like the best team because they return a 4000 yd passer, but I think they will also be facing tougher teams week in week out than they did previously.

Happy is a strong word. Too hungry for that.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think most people here are making really good points about where we stand and where we hope to go.

As has been mentioned, OL/DL will ultimately be the biggest factor in the season, but I'm putting special teams right up there as 1c.

I don't expect either the offense or defense to be in the top of half of the league so not only being competent in specials, but being good at specials to get to 6 wins and a bowl will be huge.

As far as win total guesses? I can't even make a guess with all the unknowns but given the energy from the program and the fact that I think Cochran should be league average QB, we sneak to 6 wins and a bowl.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
whale - where have you seen season O/U's online? i am frustrated that i haven't found it at my books. love uconn o 3.5. don't think they will go over by much, but some.

It's mostly P5 everywhere but 5dimes had everyone at one point. UConn was 3.5 with the over at -150.

Reaction Score
Not trying to go Spackler, so apologize if this gets long.

It's difficult to talk about UConn's prospects in 2014 without the context of the prior coaches, but I'm going to try. Needless to say, but Paul Pasqualoni was an all-time disaster. The damage he and his staff did to the program left us staring out of an abyss by game 4 of the 2013 season. There is literally almost not a single positive thing to say about his 2+ years at the helm.

Bob Diaco seems like the right guy for the job. His positives to date are fairly obvious:
-Great Energy
-Good amount of charisma
-Communicates well with the media
-Put together a solid staff
-As compared to prior seasons, recruits are making verbal commitments earlier

I'd like to expand on one additional area that has struck me - and I think it may be most important in the long run. Diaco has a plan and is hell-bent on executing (wish I could pick another word) it.

Head coach at Connecticut is not an easy job, everyone knows the challenges: Not the most fertile recruiting grounds, conference realignment has been one blow after another, school lacks historical gravitas, smallish off-campus stadium, fan base is accustomed to winning and winning big...

While many held it against Edsall, the thing that allowed him to be successful (and potentially created a ceiling for him to a degree), was that Edsall knew what needed to be done to make the team moderately successful in a relatively short period of time. Generally his teams did well academically and were populated by quality people.

Diaco I believe has that strength, you can see it in the type of players he is recruiting, the measurables aren't coincidences. He believes that if you invest in his 'process', the results will come. Personally I think that is the only way to build successful teams in any sport - decide what the process is that makes you successful, consistently execute and the results will be there in the end if you've defined the process correctly.

Obviously we've seen Diaco have success coaching players up on defense at Notre Dame. So I don't anticipate that he and his staff will struggle to turn raw talent into results on the field. The question about HCBD is can he coach a game on Saturday? There is no way to answer that now, and probably no way to really answer that until October/November 2015.

So what does the 2014 season hold?

The question that I can't answer definitively is - did PP actually stockpile some talent but just coached it so poorly that the results were putrid? My guess is that the answer will prove to be in-between. Surely there are some players here who will immediately improve due to the coaching change, but I worry that the roster may thin quickly and put a ceiling on the number of wins in 2014.

I trusted Diaco to make the call at QB. If he thinks CC is the guy - good enough for me. Casey seems to have some level of intangibles that make him a better player that he may seem on paper or by picking apart film. If he needs to go to Whitmer, I'm fine with that - Chandler has never played behind a non-GDL line - so he may prove to look much better if he needs to play.

The running backs are exciting. I'd guess that Marriner ends up with the bulk of the carries and is a huge upgrade over Lyle.

It's strange to have receiver as a strength, but should be a fun position.

The tight ends don't blow you away, but have a chance to be serviceable.

The offensive line of course is the key, and while I don't see a vintage UConn offensive line here - it has to be better than the past three years which is the most important step they need to take.

Very difficult to not see UConn better on offense.

Defense is a bit more worrisome.

The defensive line as some solid contributors and experience, but maybe lacks big play makers and could become an issue if injuries strike.

The linebackers are similar - some obvious talent, but if they need to dip into the depth could get shaky.

The starters in the secondary should be fine - it's the same story here - if they stay healthy they can be pretty good.

UConn has to be better on specials, they were pedestrian last year. I'm not sold on Puyol, I know little to nothing about the punter and there isn't a track record of success for the return guys. Specials worry me, although it's nice to have a Feagles involved. Improving on coverage and returns could be a huge impact for this team and might get them another win or two if they pull it off.

So on to a win prediction, I don't think about these as binary outcomes, but try to attach a percentage chance to win and develop an average guess.

BYU - 15%
Stony Brook - 95%
Boise State - 35%
@ USF - 40%
Temple - 75%
@ Tulane - 40%
@ East Carolina 15%
UCF - 25%
@ Army 90%
Cincinnati 30%
@ Memphis 55%
SMU 50%

I like when my guess off the top of my head 5-6 wins lines up perfectly with this take of 5.65 wins.

I think the schedule gives them an obvious floor of 4 wins, but limits their upside to 7. I can't see them winning 8 and it seems impossible to only win 3.

It's so much better to follow a team when you don't hate the head coach. Instead of spending time trying to figure out how he didn't get fired all offseason, you can actually look forward to the season and the future.

/Spackler

This post is now high comedy given the last 24 hours. Whaler gave UCONN a 15% chance of beating BYU and actually posted this comment:

"The question about HCBD is can he coach a game on Saturday? There is no way to answer that now, and probably no way to really answer that until October/November 2015"

Yup we may need to wait until 2015, so be careful not to judge HCBD too quickly.

and Whaler isn't sold on Puyol. Maybe Diaco should fake the field goal attempt.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This post is now high comedy given the last 24 hours. Whaler gave UCONN a 15% chance of beating BYU and actually posted this comment:

"The question about HCBD is can he coach a game on Saturday? There is no way to answer that now, and probably no way to really answer that until October/November 2015"

Yup we may need to wait until 2015, so be careful not to judge HCBD too quickly.

and Whaler isn't sold on Puyol. Maybe Diaco should fake the field goal attempt.

You are super predictible and with every post continue to highlight your idiocy.

I never expected UConn to beat BYU, nor am I upset that they didn't.

I didn't like the fake punt because it was such a predicible spot and the play had literally no chance of ever getting the yardage needed. Fake punts with the third string punter holding aren't exactly high percentage plays. I wasn't impressed by the kicker last year - I don't think that means I am calling no field goal attempts.

I have not decided in any way shape or form if Diaco is a good game coach. I can continue to read where he thinks the two quarterback system was a 'good look' and scratch my head and try to figure out what game he was watching.

If you had a clue you'd grasp that the theme of the post you quoted was that they key to success is implementing your plan..... ASSSUMING YOUR PLAN IS CORRECT.

Some people think it's ok to quit on a game down 21 with 13:00 left and the ball in their territory. Personally I don't like my head coach to think so little of his team.

Why exactly are you and a few others so sensitive to legitimate criticism?

Do you think 2 qbs works? Did you really like watching the coach wave a white flag with 13:00 left? Did you want to hear postgame a glowing participation report after watching the team lose by 25 which would have been more if not for 8,000 penalties on BYU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom