High Praise From Nic Batum | The Boneyard

High Praise From Nic Batum

caw

Reaction Score
Any good French prospect out there Batum can put a good word in for? Maybe the smaller Wemby? He's supposed to be pretty good for 16 and "only" 6'8.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Every team in the country will try and replicate it from now on. We're the Steph Curry. The college game has changed with what Hurley and company are doing.
Are there that many good-to-great players who will commit to being unselfish in pursuit of an NC? Are there that many coaches willing to work that hard to build the kind of culture DH has built? Are there even that many kids with parents that will stay out of the way and not pursue immediate $$?

Reaction Score
Are there that many good-to-great players who will commit to being unselfish in pursuit of an NC? Are there that many coaches willing to work that hard to build the kind of culture DH has built? Are there even that many kids with parents that will stay out of the way and not pursue immediate $$?
Those are the pieces that are tough and probably close to impossible to replicate. But what I think can and will be done is trying to replicate the offense with all the motion to get wide open shots instead of iso ball. But that also requires a certain level of buy in that may not happen

Reaction Score
Those are the pieces that are tough and probably close to impossible to replicate. But what I think can and will be done is trying to replicate the offense with all the motion to get wide open shots instead of iso ball. But that also requires a certain level of buy in that may not happen
It requires a mix of high-level, high-potential NBA talent, experienced and crafty players with minimal ego, big guards who can bully their defender into the paint and wall-off their man on D, a triple-threat 4, and rim-runners/protectors.

It will be very hard for anyone to duplicate this formula, even us.

Reaction Score
If you scroll through HD Inelligence’s advanced analytics website, you can see that they’ve only been around since 2019 and count most of the major college programs as clients. What this tells me is that many of these programs have already attempted to emulate that aspect of the modern program UConn has implemented. It’s not just analytics, however; personalities, personnel, and program culture, among many other intangibles, still matter. It also means that culture will continue to exist and persist after Luke and Kimani becomes head coaches at their own schools.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Nic is 100% right, kids need to be taught to be 7'2"
Nic is 100% right, kids need to be taught to be 7'2"
Our offense is really good. But our defense is the generational thing here.

We just held a top 5 offense and best perimeter scorer to 52 and 8 points.

Nobody has scored 60 this tournament and only two have in the last two tournaments. Arkansas had the most with 65.

Reaction Score
Every team in the country will try and replicate it from now on. We're the Steph Curry. The college game has changed with what Hurley and company are doing.

Try being the key word. They need a similar head coach and staff, as well as gifted players who fit the culture. Tough to find 9+ high IQ players who are unselfish and will play D for 40 minutes. How many people here were a bit annoyed that Solo went in for the dunk and did not pass to Stewie? The culture extends to the fan base, at least it does for me. Dawgs!!!!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
How many people here were a bit annoyed that Solo went in for the dunk and did not pass to Stewie?
Idea Volunteer GIF

Reaction Score
Skill yes, but BBIQ is huge. And yesterday watching the ferocious Spencer, a guard get 12 rebounds? That’s sheer will and determination. He went after the ball like it was life and death. You can’t teach that, or you can but players don’t do it.

caw

Reaction Score
I'll worry when Young or Murray are Head Coaches at legit contenders because that would be a concern.

Reaction Score
Our offense is really good. But our defense is the generational thing here.

We just held a top 5 offense and best perimeter scorer to 52 and 8 points.

Nobody has scored 60 this tournament and only two have in the last two tournaments. Arkansas had the most with 65.
We have the 4th best adjusted offensive efficiency of all teams in the 27 year KenPom era.

caw

Reaction Score
We have the 4th best adjusted offensive efficiency of all teams in the 27 year KenPom era.

TBF I believe he is only talking about the defense in the tournament (which has been absurdly good by Bart Torvik at 75.8 ADJDE over those four games). 66.3 against Illinois, 84.5 against SDSU, 77.6 against NW, and 74.5 against Stetson. For comparison, for the year UConn is fourth overall at 91.4 and #1 is Houston at 86.5.

Basically, UConn's tournament's worst defensive game was better than Houston's average defensive game.

Including the BET UConn's defense is at 84.5 over seven games (which encompasses the abysmal defensive game against SJU).

Meanwhile over the tournament games UConn has "only" had a top 9-10 offense in terms of ADJOE.

Last year for the NCAAT the ADJDE was at 83.2 over the six tournament games which is very good. The worst game was against Iona (defensively at 97.2).

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
TBF I believe he is only talking about the defense in the tournament (which has been absurdly good by Bart Torvik at 75.8 ADJDE over those four games). 66.3 against Illinois, 84.5 against SDSU, 77.6 against NW, and 74.5 against Stetson. For comparison, for the year UConn is fourth overall at 91.4 and #1 is Houston at 86.5.

Basically, UConn's tournament's worst defensive game was better than Houston's average defensive game.

Including the BET UConn's defense is at 84.5 over seven games (which encompasses the abysmal defensive game against SJU).

Meanwhile over the tournament games UConn has "only" had a top 9-10 offense in terms of ADJOE.

Last year for the NCAAT the ADJDE was at 83.2 over the six tournament games which is very good. The worst game was against Iona (defensively at 97.2).
Confused Rooster Teeth GIF by Achievement Hunter

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
How much of our offense is helped by straight up taking the life out of teams defensively?

It’s like a great football team who has a #1 defense and runs the ball. By the 2nd half the defense is too gassed to stop you. That’s what happens in a lot of these games.

Reaction Score
I'll worry when Young or Murray are Head Coaches at legit contenders because that would be a concern.
Do they have the temperament to be HC?

Reaction Score
Try being the key word. They need a similar head coach and staff, as well as gifted players who fit the culture. Tough to find 9+ high IQ players who are unselfish and will play D for 40 minutes. How many people here were a bit annoyed that Solo went in for the dunk and did not pass to Stewie? The culture extends to the fan base, at least it does for me. Dawgs!!!!
When he went for the dunk I was thinking the exact same thing!!! However, and I hope I’m wrong but that play said to me , I’m out of here and I’ll be in the portal.

Reaction Score
When he went for the dunk I was thinking the exact same thing!!! However, and I hope I’m wrong but that play said to me , I’m out of here and I’ll be in the portal.
I really don't see him as having the portal attitude. As someone not getting any time I can easily see him just getting excited at getting a highlight in the NCAA tournament

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom