High Point Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

High Point Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I'm not either. Liv is testing my patience. At least she's trying to use her left hand when appropriate.
Come on! She scored 22 points, shot 9/17 & 4/5 ft with 7 boards and 4 assists! I think it is very likely that if she gives us that exact same line for the rest of the tournament, we will probably be National Champions!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Regarding Syracuse, is there any lingering animosity over Orange HC Quentin Hillsman's refusal to grant Stewie a homecoming game or was that frustration satisfied with UConn's thrashing of Syracuse in the title game?
That's no longer an issue for me. What is an issue is the Maya Moore mugging and subsequent tripping of Geno in the handshake line.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Come on! She scored 22 points, shot 9/17 & 4/5 ft with 7 boards and 4 assists! I think it is very likely that if she gives us that exact same line for the rest of the tournament, we will probably be National Champions!
?

I was referring to the missed bunnies. Liv is probably my favorite player. I have supported her many times on this board in the face of her critics. The stats you cite are solid arguments against that criticism and support why she is such a valuable player.

The "testing my patience" was semi-tongue-in-check based on a recent post I made about her missed bunnies. I'll try to be clearer next time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There was so much written about the weight room. How about the fact that officiating in the women’s game is absolutely third rate in comparison to the men. That has always been a major issue.
Tara VanDerveer ripped the NCAA a new one in a scathing letter that was shown during their game. It addressed the past and on going disparities in men’s and women’s basketball.

She specifically called out the person responsible for the weight room snafu. It remains to be seen if the differences in the tournament gift (swag) bags given to each player will be resolved.

The difference between the men’s and women’s bags were quite different. The men’s bag had a lot more items in theirs than the women’s did. The contents of both bags were photographed and displayed side by side for comparison.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
?

I was referring to the missed bunnies. Liv is probably my favorite player. I have supported her many times on this board in the face of her critics. The stats you cite are solid arguments against that criticism and support why she is such a valuable player.

The "testing my patience" was semi-tongue-in-check based on a recent post I made about her missed bunnies. I'll try to be clearer next time.
Liv did miss several bunnies she should have made.

Reaction Score
Liv missed a few, CW missed one in transition, AG missed a real easy one (nerves probably - she had just checked in), maybe AE missed one, but it would have been an outlier since she finished a bunch.

Not too bad - but they are going to get harder on Tuesday since there will be more of a shot blocking presence.

Reaction Score
Regarding Syracuse, is there any lingering animosity over Orange HC Quentin Hillsman's refusal to grant Stewie a homecoming game or was that frustration satisfied with UConn's thrashing of Syracuse in the title game?
If thrashing someone in the title game doesnt, resolve any lingering animosity you might be taking this too seriously lol.

Reaction Score
Evina Westbrook played a very good game. She seemed to assume more of a leadership role tonight, especially after Nika sprained her ankle. I saw her organizing players several times, even moving Paige around.

Reaction Score
Jesus!! What did you want? 135 - 25 score? And 7 players dead on their feet?
It should have been about 110 to 35. They were told about the deep threes and the lay ups in the third were unacceptable.

Reaction Score
If she has a chance to come back in this tourney, it would be an amazing feat. I’d keep her out of the next game, if there’s a chance for her to return for the later rounds.
No attack but I am glad you are not part of the coaching staff. :) She was able to come back the next day after the last twist of the ankle. I'm good with the medical staff recomending yea or nay on playing or not.
I don't like the officiating. Phantom fouls and I'm in charge body language.
That was like high school officiating to be sure. We have to hope that is only because of such an early in the tourny game the better officials are spread thin. There was twice as many fouls called on both teams than needed.
A shame the talking heads were too busy chatting to explain who some of them were called on or for what. :D
Evina Westbrook played a very good game. She seemed to assume more of a leadership role tonight, especially after Nika sprained her ankle. I saw her organizing players several times, even moving Paige around.
No attack but she has been doing that all season. Known as "Team Mom" by her peers.....

Reaction Score
Question: Did Nika injure the same ankle that she injured during the season? I don't remember the previous injury at that level of detail.

Comment on the offensive foul calls on Aaliyah: I think this is the same situation as the similar calls that were made on UConn screens in the South Carolina game. Even a slight movement of the hips or shoulders while you are screening is properly a moving screen foul. And it was established after the SC game that being in a stance where your feet are wider than your shoulders is also a foul per the literal rules. So this ref was just making those calls. If he does it consistently, I don't think he can be faulted.

Aaliyah just needs to remember that she must be as still as a statue when she is screening to avoid these calls (and keep her feet closer together). Even if the defender gets around her screen, it probably won't ruin the effect of the screen.

And yet I've seen screeners not only shift their shoulders, they take a step into the path of the defender in the full view of an official with no call. I'm saying you are wrong, just that the rule has a grey area when it comes to enforcement.
The refs advance deeper into the tournament by performance.

UConn and other teams that are playing all their games in the Alamo Dome have an advantage if they get to the S16. In fact we might see some good scoring in the FF for a change with teams having as many as 5 games there prior to the final. I know there are 2 arenas but the lighting would be similar and the sight lines in big arenas take getting used to.

Reaction Score

She should have had 30. Look at how important a layup was in the SCar game. If it were to came down to a last shot and Bueckers were to see ONO all alone under the basket would you want Bueckers to shoot or pass it for the last shot?

Reaction Score
To answer an earlier question: Yes Autumn is out with shin splints (unless cleared for this game). With CW on the bench with foul issues and Nika injured Paige got more aggressive. Then she got hit and it wasn't called. BAM sleeping tiger awoke and slaughtered those around her. I believe she got 10 quick points and there was nothing the other team could do about it.

Reaction Score
She moved her knee into her as she went by. They have called that all year on her. My whole life playing and Coaching that is a foul. I said if you go wide and move you knee into the player. You ever play the game? You ever coach? Learn the game!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A dominating win against a team that plays a very extreme style. Paige was spectacular. E was very good. Our Bigs capitalized on their side advantage. With that being said, here's my question. When you have a starter already out with a sprained ankle AND you have a 40+ point lead, why are Paige and Christyn on the floor late? Why risk an inadvertent twisted ankle or something perhaps even worse? What's wrong with 5 minutes of Anna, Saylor, Autumn, Mir and Piath? Is Autumn hurt? You can't get her in the floor at all? There was a time that we saw tons of Tierney Lawlor, et all. That has not been the practice for this year. Any thoughts on why?
I don't know about Christyn, but it is in Paige's contract with Geno: Minimum of ___ minutes.

Real answer - trying to keep a semblance of order on the court so those bench players you may need in games, get some good work in. And not pushing Anna or Evina too hard.

Reaction Score
Must be a wcbb point of note for refs... saw a lot of wide screens in the mens games.
With the wide screens if you move you knee or league very little into someone they see it and call it. If you don't use the wide base like Edwards did. It will hardly be called.

Reaction Score
To answer an earlier question: Yes Autumn is out with shin splints (unless cleared for this game). With CW on the bench with foul issues and Nika injured Paige got more aggressive. Then she got hit and it wasn't called. BAM sleeping tiger awoke and slaughtered those around her. I believe she got 10 quick points and there was nothing the other team could do about it.
She scored on 3 straight possessions at one point, and those shots came early in the possession. In a near empty arena someone could have shouted something she heard. Or what you said. The point is that she seems to have an overdrive gear where she does amazing things. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There was so much written about the weight room. How about the fact that officiating in the women’s game is absolutely third rate in comparison to the men. That has always been a major issue.
Curious. Does anyone know if the refs on the women's side get paid the same as the men's side? If no, that seems to be a good explanation.

Reaction Score
?

I was probably a bit over the top. Sorry.

Reaction Score
Exactly

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paige / CD Presser (each seperate)

I liked the part when CD was asked if Paige has another gear when she is needed (CW foul trouble, Nika oit etc) CD's answer was interesting. She has another gear and it comes faster if the game is physical and she thinks she is getting fouled.

Also compered Paige's stop jumper to Sue's. She never thinks it will miss.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I doubt that anyone at UConn gives it a second thought.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom